News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Black Panther Movie

Started by Cavebear, February 25, 2018, 05:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 02:40:55 PM
That was about what I expected.  Big hype.  Fast fall-off in moviegoers.
According to this data from three days ago, that's not the case.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/02/25/black-panther-keeps-smashing-records-exceeding-box-office-expectations-and-making-history/?utm_term=.0ab960dbd4cc
Although, I do think the hype was bigger than the film.  It's a good film, but I don't think it's as great as the pre-release discussions made it sound, but then how many hyped films do that?  Avatar maybe?  At the moment, I can't think of anything else.

Gawdzilla Sama

These days people are in the habit of expecting a silk purse movie from pig's ear source material. Comic book movies will never rise above their origins.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 28, 2018, 05:04:03 PM
According to this data from three days ago, that's not the case.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/02/25/black-panther-keeps-smashing-records-exceeding-box-office-expectations-and-making-history/?utm_term=.0ab960dbd4cc
Although, I do think the hype was bigger than the film.  It's a good film, but I don't think it's as great as the pre-release discussions made it sound, but then how many hyped films do that?  Avatar maybe?  At the moment, I can't think of anything else.

I'm (sadly) sticking with the rapid fall-off prediction.  And wish it was otherwise. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 28, 2018, 05:12:24 PM
These days people are in the habit of expecting a silk purse movie from pig's ear source material. Comic book movies will never rise above their origins.

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 28, 2018, 07:27:27 PM
Q.E.D.

No actually, it's not.

As I understand it, the Marvel Universe is coming round to the idea that all superheroes are actually mutants.  Some just expressed it in different ways and triggers.

Shiranu

"This movie wasn't made with my demographic in mind, so it's over-hyped/not even good/too political! There's no way it can be successful!"

Box office, reviews and the intended audience all say otherwise... also, the inherent humour in people being upset over the first truly African American superhero super star not catering to what they wanted...

I'm even willing to admit it wasn't the greatest film of all time, or anywhere near it. But it is more than just a movie, it is a part of a cultural revolution and can't be properly analyzed as "just" a film. That's like trying to analyze Schindlers list without accounting for the Holocaust... Sure, is still a great film, but if you don't take any of the real world contexts it was filmed in, then it is nothing special.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 28, 2018, 08:35:33 PM
"This movie wasn't made with my demographic in mind, so it's over-hyped/not even good/too political! There's no way it can be successful!"

Box office, reviews and the intended audience all say otherwise... also, the inherent humour in people being upset over the first truly African American superhero super star not catering to what they wanted...

I'm even willing to admit it wasn't the greatest film of all time, or anywhere near it. But it is more than just a movie, it is a part of a cultural revolution and can't be properly analyzed as "just" a film. That's like trying to analyze Schindlers list without accounting for the Holocaust... Sure, is still a great film, but if you don't take any of the real world contexts it was filmed in, then it is nothing special.

I don't think anyone needs more of the old African-American stereotypes.  This worked for Obama too.  If Obama had actually talked like someone from Newark, instead of Kenya, he would have gotten no traction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteIf Obama had actually talked like someone from Newark, instead of Kenya, he would have gotten no traction.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlsufZj9Fg

Ironic since so many D Presidents are dicks not named Dick.

Blaxploitation, it is what Ds do, in every century.

Can you dig it?  Right on!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

DeeDee!

Love, Mandark

I hate your brother, what a Poindexter he is!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

I sympathized more with Poindexter ... what clueless parents!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.