News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Black Panther Movie

Started by Cavebear, February 25, 2018, 05:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

So, those of the many who watched it, what did you think?  I haven't but don't worry about spoilers.  By the time *I* watch a movie, it is old news...  But I'm curious.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

It's a good superhero movie that is perhaps slightly better than average.  It's more upbeat because it avoids wasting the hero's time in the throes of unnecessary existential angst that I have become bored with in so much of the genre.  Marvel introduces some new aspects to super heroism, so it doesn't seem like just another superman movie.  I think the "Blackness" of the movie is extraneous overblown hype and to me it adds or detracts nothing to the actual film.  It's a Marvel superhero fantasy about a super human character.  I just want to see him kick some ass and do it without having a depression about it.  And the movie does that well enough.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2018, 05:51:38 AM
It's a good superhero movie that is perhaps slightly better than average.  It's more upbeat because it avoids wasting the hero's time in the throes of unnecessary existential angst that I have become bored with in so much of the genre.  Marvel introduces some new aspects to super heroism, so it doesn't seem like just another superman movie.  I think the "Blackness" of the movie is extraneous overblown hype and to me it adds or detracts nothing to the actual film.  It's a Marvel superhero fantasy about a super human character.  I just want to see him kick some ass and do it without having a depression about it.  And the movie does that well enough.

I wondered about that.  One critic said it wasn't a movie about African-Americans because the Wakandans were never enslaved, the country wasn't colonized, and it was technologically advanced beyond reason. 

I have the "willing suspension of disbelief" regarding sci-fi though.

Munch

I want to know how it is a hidden society cut off from the outside world manages to become super rich and have advanced technology beyond anything in the modern day.. despite being cut off. Isn't the wealth of a country dependent on trade, hell you need resources from other places to to grow, and how does a near impenetrable metal equal bubble shields, invisibility cloaks and flying cars?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2018, 07:53:36 AM
I want to know how it is a hidden society cut off from the outside world manages to become super rich and have advanced technology beyond anything in the modern day.. despite being cut off. Isn't the wealth of a country dependent on trade, hell you need resources from other places to to grow, and how does a near impenetrable metal equal bubble shields, invisibility cloaks and flying cars?

My questions exactly.  But I love the fiction.  AS IF, a radioactive spider made a white guy super talented either.  .  I just was amazed at how people glommed onto T'Challa (if I recall his name correctly from my admiration of his old character in the comics).  I liked Bruce Banner to, but not much as the Hulk,  And what if he had turned into a Big Brown guy instead.  Mines all over the place there! 

What if Nick Fury of The Howling Commandos had become a black guy running SHIELD.  Oh, wait... 

I'm waiting for a Mantis movie myself...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 08:15:44 AM
My questions exactly.  But I love the fiction.  AS IF, a radioactive spider made a white guy super talented either.  .  I just was amazed at how people glommed onto T'Challa (if I recall his name correctly from my admiration of his old character in the comics).  I liked Bruce Banner to, but not much as the Hulk,  And what if he had turned into a Big Brown guy instead.  Mines all over the place there! 

What if Nick Fury of The Howling Commandos had become a black guy running SHIELD.  Oh, wait... 

I'm waiting for a Mantis movie myself...

To me you can have more escapist fantasy, but they need to work within context of the world they live in. Having a radioactive spider give a man spider like powers works because its within the context of the world, same as mutants and their biological mutations giving them powers. It also work with whatever Dr Strange does because he's a sorcerer and so if he for example lived in a bubble, he could just summon resources he needed in with magic.

But thats not within it in black panther, wealth needs to come from somewhere, see iron man owns an international company which explains his wealth, as does bruce wayne in dc comics. Wakanda can't work in that context of the world, it needs some explaining to how a place like that in a poor nation like africa can become what it is, not just the metal the nation is built over.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 07:24:38 AM
I wondered about that.  One critic said it wasn't a movie about African-Americans because the Wakandans were never enslaved, the country wasn't colonized, and it was technologically advanced beyond reason. 

I have the "willing suspension of disbelief" regarding sci-fi though.
Willing suspension is a prerequisite.  You're screwed without it, especially when it comes to superheroes. As for Wakandans, they are not African American.  They are African, but poised to assist western culture in the fight against global threats.  I would be surprised if they ever lose their African identity and are absorbed by western society, but then I don't write the scripts.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2018, 08:46:34 AM
Willing suspension is a prerequisite.  You're screwed without it, especially when it comes to superheroes. As for Wakandans, they are not African American.  They are African, but poised to assist western culture in the fight against global threats.  I would be surprised if they ever lose their African identity and are absorbed by western society, but then I don't write the scripts.

I only watch clips, but I enjoyed the visuals ... but then I am visually oriented.  African (tm) is an interesting kind of human culture.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2018, 08:39:05 AM
To me you can have more escapist fantasy, but they need to work within context of the world they live in. Having a radioactive spider give a man spider like powers works because its within the context of the world, same as mutants and their biological mutations giving them powers. It also work with whatever Dr Strange does because he's a sorcerer and so if he for example lived in a bubble, he could just summon resources he needed in with magic.

But thats not within it in black panther, wealth needs to come from somewhere, see iron man owns an international company which explains his wealth, as does bruce wayne in dc comics. Wakanda can't work in that context of the world, it needs some explaining to how a place like that in a poor nation like africa can become what it is, not just the metal the nation is built over.
It's a reasonable question, but to simply enjoy the movie, I don't think it helps to ask that question.  The same thought occurred to me, but I decided not to belabor that, and just allowed Marvel to take me where they wanted.  You can find a lot of things about Stan Lee's superheroes that conflict with hard reality.  The advanced society living under the radar of modern satellites is just one more.  That was explained in the beginning, albeit not to anyone's satisfaction.  It assumes that no foreign traveler ever stopped there, which is unlikely.   But I don't see why this is a bigger issue than guys that fly around without technological support.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2018, 08:39:05 AM
it needs some explaining to how a place like that in a poor nation like africa can become what it is,

CONTINENT like Africa...

Atheon

i enjoyed it. Better than the average Marvel movie. I liked how Wakanda is portrayed as a cultural, artistic and architectural microcosm of all of Africa.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2018, 08:59:00 AM
It's a reasonable question, but to simply enjoy the movie, I don't think it helps to ask that question.  The same thought occurred to me, but I decided not to belabor that, and just allowed Marvel to take me where they wanted.  You can find a lot of things about Stan Lee's superheroes that conflict with hard reality.  The advanced society living under the radar of modern satellites is just one more.  That was explained in the beginning, albeit not to anyone's satisfaction.  It assumes that no foreign traveler ever stopped there, which is unlikely.   But I don't see why this is a bigger issue than guys that fly around without technological support.

well see that to me speaks for itself. I can't do that these days, if a movie makes me ask questions like that it takes me out of the movie.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2018, 10:33:56 AM
well see that to me speaks for itself. I can't do that these days, if a movie makes me ask questions like that it takes me out of the movie.

I can take most Marvel movies because they operate in the known world.  Not that the characters are sensible, But NY is NY etc.  I can take Thor because mythology is part of my world.

Hmm, OK I get some of the idea of an advanced African nation and how that can be important.  They have gotten the short end of the stick for a LONG time.  But it just harder to make the suspension leap.

I can imagine there was a dilemma portraying an African hero with tech skills background but not also being from somewhere non-African.  I can't do it myself either. 

I want to think about that for a while...

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on February 25, 2018, 10:33:56 AM
I get that, and while I like movies that make me think, I'm able to shut that out when engaged in fantasy.  Some things like the unknown advanced society bring up questions, but I can overlook them and just let the movie carry me.  If I fall asleep during the movie, I'll dock points for that.  I expect a movie to keep me engaged for my $10.  I like a wide variety of genre.  I just want to be entertained.  I'm easily pleased.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2018, 12:11:38 PM
I get that, and while I like movies that make me think, I'm able to shut that out when engaged in fantasy.  Some things like the unknown advanced society bring up questions, but I can overlook them and just let the movie carry me.  If I fall asleep during the movie, I'll dock points for that.  I expect a movie to keep me engaged for my $10.  I like a wide variety of genre.  I just want to be entertained.  I'm easily pleased.

Entirely reasonable...