Does the media love mass shooting?

Started by Coveny, February 23, 2018, 06:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coveny

In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims. Here is an article from experts begging the media to quit making these nutjobs famous, and yet they continue to do it... because it's ratings gold. I doubt you need me you to do the search showing CNN breaking these rules for the media on how they should deal with mass shooters. (because they break them all the time)

https://drive.google.com/.../0B4Z7VkWcwLk.../view
https://www.reportingonmassshootings.org/

This plays on human’s genetic disposition to "fear" when statistically it's not something you "should" be afraid of. We had 606 mass shooting deaths in 2016, and while every death is sad, and those who die young are the worst to bear, we have over 2 million people die a year in this country. Rather than spending all this energy on something that accounts for a small percentage of deaths why not work on helping the 40+ thousands who commit suicide a year? Champion stem cell research and prevent the over 100+ thousand who die from Alzheimer’s. Stop denying climate change and fight to save the 150+ thousand a year who die from chronic lower respiratory disease. There are countries that have guns without mass shootings, as well as it being debatable that removal of guns reduces crime. (It may reduce murder slightly depending on where you look and how many years out you look but it increases rape, burglary, etc)

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data/2016
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Rather than address the mass shooter address what is causing of the problem: Wealth inequality in America. Rather than giving the rich huge tax cuts and killing 100’s thousands in other countries because the military complex desires us to do it. Make it so our education system is funded so we can be more competitive with other countries in our education. Make it so our health care is funded so the families don’t stress about getting the treatment they need. Make it so that both parents don’t have to work two jobs just to afford to pay the bills and have the money needed for their children. Make it so that the 60+ thousand veterans are no longer homeless. Make it so that the 40+ million who are food-insecure in this country can stop worrying about where (and if) their next meal is coming from. Make it so that young people can see a bright future again in this country.

We have a finite amount of energy to champion causes I understand that guns may seem to be the problem because of the way media agencies like CNN spam them, but they are just a symptom of the greater problem affecting 99% of Americas who are struggling to make ends meet. It may be callous to turn away from those deaths (or any deaths) and say, “other things are more important”, but we are talking about the greater good of the 320 million people who live in America, and the media spends WAY too much time making these shooters famous.
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Baruch

The only good news is bad news.  But nevertheless ... sex sells.  Bring on the dancing girls now ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's the gun sellers and the NRA who love mass shootings, given that the gun sales shoot through the roof after these things happen.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Gonna flog this around the Internet, are you?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Coveny

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 23, 2018, 08:05:41 PM
Gonna flog this around the Internet, are you?

Sorry young lady..we don't advertise for free.-aitm

There is no need to insult me. Simply tell me what rule I broke. It explicitly states that I can link a website I own in your rules. I own FD. I am not a "new member", and I am obviously NOT a woman from my picture.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Shiranu

Good to see you didn't check the forum rules before joining.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

The media isn't about reporting facts any more, unfortunately. They're about trying to capture your attention and get good ratings. Despite the world being safer than it has ever been, they have people paranoid that a random terrorist could take them out at any second.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Jason Harvestdancer

Although people are actually safer than in years past, they feel a lot less safe.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Coveny

Quote from: Shiranu on February 23, 2018, 08:29:07 PM
Good to see you didn't check the forum rules before joining.

I did read the rules. I assume you are talking about this rule:

2. No spam. Commercial messages or advertisements by new members will be deleted immediately and the poster banned. Please note that the forum has an in-built filter able to detect most spam messages and put them in a “waiting for approval” section visible only staff members. Spam also includes cut-and-paste proselytizing and hit-and-run proselytizing. Sending members unwanted or offensive pm's is also considered spam. Similarly, starting new threads of the same topic or very similar topics will be considered spam as well.

8. Links to own websites, etc.: Members are only allowed to publish links to their websites, blogs or YouTube channels or similar items on the internet when they have been a member for three months and have a post count of at least thirty.

I created a replied to a post about why I was doing what I was doing, I did not send individual PMs to people. (the definition of spam)

I am not a "new member" the info for my website was in my signature (as stated that I can do), other than responding to why I was posting this topic in multiple places I have not mentioned by website before other than in my signature. My date registered is September 07, 2017.

So I have NOT broken any of the forum rules, and yet I'm being insulted by the mod and called a "lady". 

anyone who "joins" is considered a new member, therefore.....I did not see a picture in your ave, therefore.....and if being called a lady is insulting to you then by all means I apologize.-aitm

The rules contradict your semantics. Rule #8 list "member" after 3 months and 30 posts, not "new member" as listed in rule #2. If the site defination of "new member" is anyone who "joins" then rule #8 needs to have the word "new" included. (also it might be a good idea to explain to your users that anyone who joined 5/29/2004 or later is considered a new member for all of eternity) I mean seriously just admit I didn't break the rules already, if you want to change the rules please do so and I will abide by them, but don't act like I did not follow the rules of this site, and my post and signature was deleted anyway.

Secondly you used "young lady" as an insult. If you didn't know my gender you could have used something gender neutral to address me. Calling me a young lady is you attempting to insult me in a sexist way. I do not feel that woman are inferior to mean, or that being a woman is a insult, so I don't accept your apology. (also it does not sound sincer in the least)

Coveny

If you want me off the site, just say the word thunderbird...

aitm

Quote from: Coveny on February 23, 2018, 11:05:03 PM

Secondly you used "young lady" as an insult.

Oh really. Then I apologize for calling you "young lady". Now everybody is happy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Coveny

Quote from: aitm on February 24, 2018, 04:49:55 PM
Oh really. Then I apologize for calling you "young lady". Now everybody is happy.
Thank you.

So I can put my website back in my signature as the rules state I am allowed to do?

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on February 23, 2018, 06:34:04 PM
In defense of accusations that mainstream media loves mass shootings Alisyn Camerota of CNN says they aren't ratings gold because Americans are sick of it, but the networks actions speak louder than her words. We see the perp in these reports much more than the victims.

Americans are not "sick of it" so much as they are sick of gun fnatics defending their right to own mass destrucyion guns.

So what are the defenses of the gun fanatics?

"We have a right to bear arms"  Yes, those were muskets.  Own all the muskets you want.  Let's get rid of all the guns the FOUNDERS DIDN'T contemplate.

"Guns protect us".  No, you are more likely to die by a gun if you own one.

"Schools should have teachers bearing guns".  No, teachers are not mindset to kill children.  I thought back to all my high school teachers and the only one I would trust to actually fight back ws nearly blind and couldn't hit a barn wall from inside one.

"We need to harden our schools".  Yeah, metal detectors.  Do you know of any school backpack that would pass a metal detector?  That would be airport mentality every day for every student.  You want to guess the cost to do that financially and psychologically? 

"Secure the school outside "Any security system can be thwarted.  There is no way around the fire alarm, no way around the confusion at changes of classes. no way around someone arranging a firedoor to be taped unlocked. 

"More security guards".  The security guard at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was afraid to enter the building.  He knew he was outgunned.  That was an act of cowardice, but he didn't want to die.  Brave people cost more and we can't afford them (sadly).

I imagine there can be more objections to the NRA dreams, but that is a start.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yes, I have known several men with a gun fetish.  Automatics are completely unnecessary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Coveny on February 24, 2018, 08:17:31 PM
Thank you.

So I can put my website back in my signature as the rules state I am allowed to do?

I did not recognize you and failed to check your previous history. I indeed acted hastily. You may restore your siggy and my apologies.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust