News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Looking For A Recliner Chair

Started by Cavebear, February 19, 2018, 06:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Suppose I wanted a really good recliner chair.  Suppose I wanted a fabric that was forgiving of cat claws.  Suppose  I was a short person.  Suppose I wanted a well-built one. 

Anyone have a good suggestion?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 06:20:55 AM
Suppose I wanted a really good recliner chair.  Suppose I wanted a fabric that was forgiving of cat claws.  Suppose  I was a short person.  Suppose I wanted a well-built one. 

Anyone have a good suggestion?

My mother always bought leather recliners .. cats love those too.  My first recliner was fabric ... cat hair and stain city.  Forget the recliner, and sit on the floor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 07:35:34 AM
My mother always bought leather recliners .. cats love those too.  My first recliner was fabric ... cat hair and stain city.  Forget the recliner, and sit on the floor.

Thank you for your opinion.  Now, if I could get suggestions from someone beyond "sit on the floor", that might be helpful.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

SGOS

For overall quality, La-Z-Boy would be my first choice.  Go to one of their stores and sit in them and compare for fit and comfort.  Leather makes sense around pets, but don't blame the chair if it's destroyed by an obsessed cat, which you could have had declawed.  If you refuse that option, you can budget for new recliner every year.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 19, 2018, 08:48:03 AM
For overall quality, La-Z-Boy would be my first choice.  Go to one of their stores and sit in them and compare for fit and comfort.  Leather makes sense around pets, but don't blame the chair if it's destroyed by an obsessed cat, which you could have had declawed.  If you refuse that option, you can budget for new recliner every year.

Thanks.  I've also been told to look at Wisconsin chairs for the solid build.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 09:01:27 AM
Thanks.  I've also been told to look at Wisconsin chairs for the solid build.
I've never heard of them.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

I'll second or third or fourth Lazyboy. I'm not too sure about the forgiving of cat claws requirement though. You might need to upgrade to the chain mail upholstery for that one. Having said that I've got a cloth Lazyboy that lived with cats for several years that isn't in too bad shape. Had to shave the stings off it a couple times a year to keep it looking presentable, but they never managed any large holes.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 19, 2018, 02:04:53 PM
I'll second or third or fourth Lazyboy. I'm not too sure about the forgiving of cat claws requirement though. You might need to upgrade to the chain mail upholstery for that one. Having said that I've got a cloth Lazyboy that lived with cats for several years that isn't in too bad shape. Had to shave the stings off it a couple times a year to keep it looking presentable, but they never managed any large holes.
Have form fitting covers made for the arms. Good investment for the long-term life of the chair. I have a Laz-y-boy double recliner that I bought 20 years ago, still in good shape, I could sell it as "slightly used" without a problem. The arm covers and the ones for the head rest area have been replaced three times.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 07:49:44 AM
Thank you for your opinion.  Now, if I could get suggestions from someone beyond "sit on the floor", that might be helpful.

You can sit on a cushion, like a pasha, and it is cheaper to throw away.  Being too comfortable is bad for your health anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 19, 2018, 04:34:06 PM
Have form fitting covers made for the arms. Good investment for the long-term life of the chair. I have a Laz-y-boy double recliner that I bought 20 years ago, still in good shape, I could sell it as "slightly used" without a problem. The arm covers and the ones for the head rest area have been replaced three times.

I like the form-fitting arm cover idea.  Marley has spent some years on the top of my vinyl computer chair flexing his claws and I can't see much actual damage there.  So maybe, vinyl wouldn't be bad.