News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Graduates vs Dropouts: Is College Worth It

Started by Shiranu, February 18, 2018, 08:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Refreshing to see a "millennial issues" video that isn't about how terrible we are, but rather about real shit that each and everyone of us, regardless of politics or race or sex or whatever, are going through.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

I love studying in a university setting and would like to complete my Ph.D. but given my age and the expense it makes no financial sense to take a leave from work and pay at least $60K. I wouldn't necessarily make more money in my current career with a Ph.D. and I have no desire to change careers.

One of my close friends was disappointed two of his three sons didn't go to college but I don't believe studying at a university is for everyone. They both trained to be auto mechanics, had jobs waiting for them before they finished school and make a good living. I also believe that a formal education has value even if it doesn't directly translate into a job but that has to be weighed against a person's financial resources.

Shiranu

I guess that's something I need to learn to clarify with my position (not that I posted it here, but it made me think about it)...

I loved college, and learning for the first year or two... but I don't love having to work two jobs and still being $56,000 in debt with loans to my tuition(by the time I graduate at the end of the year, that should be a comfy $65-70k). Literally any fun with education has been drained from me...

I use to love watching educational videos... science, history, English... I use to love reading in my free time, and now I literally do neither of those, unless a history video REALLY catches my attention. It's a mix of burnt out and just realizing that time I spend could be better used to pay for the shitload of debt that was placed on me, and debt that doesn't even help me in the long run. Even when I graduate, most jobs will not pay a living wage. If I stay here, and work my way up the ladder like I am trying to do, I'll be in my mid-30s by the time I can have a job that makes me realistically self-sufficent... it's like my entire 20s have been wasted.

I only have 4 more classes after this semester, but it is a struggle not to drop out. There is literally not a single morning where I don't wake up and ask myself why am I putting myself through this and not just dropping out, and the only answer I can even come out to is because my family would disown me if I did... it's not even because I have any desire to stay.

Education has become a job for me, but a job that drives me in debt that, on average wages, would take me literally a year and a half of work to pay off (if that was ALL I spent every dollar on). So it's like working 3 jobs, with one job taking all the earnings from the other two jobs AND about 5 more jobs worth of income. And that's not even calculating interest on that...

But that's what pay-to-learn education systems give you... it's no longer a basic human right, it's a privilege. Education is only for those with money, and the rest of us are shit out of luck, or worse yet scammed into thinking we "have" to have it and turned into modern day slaves... and if we don't pay it back, unlike even gamblers and other debts, we cant go bankrupt (and with the new president, we have had our loan forgiveness programs taken away).

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I totally sympathize.  A proper society would simply pay all expenses for the top 20% of HS graduates to attend 4 years of college.  It would cost a fraction of a DoD program to do so, and would greatly contribute to the defense of the US (to have smarter people).  I could jump for that long before free medical care (which mostly goes to seniors who are dying anyway).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Everybody has a dozen stories about "somebody" for either perspective that would render the other perspective "useless". I have come to the conclusion that I simply didn't have the intellect for whatever it was I was thinking of dong with the degree I never knew I wanted.

I had no idea what I wanted to do. So my short time was wasted. It wasn't until ten years later that the learning bug hit me and I started to really get into it. But it wasn't any particular study, just general knowledge. My first task was the read the entire Funk and Wagnall Encyclopeidas. Well not completely, I didn't ready word for word the minutia of Bolivia or Panama etc.

But it did lead me to realize that we have people that are content to do menial work, people who are content to flip burgers or pick up trash or collect tolls, or just answer phones. We should not try to make people into something they really may be ill suited to do. We need the garbage man too and the toll collector (maybe not) and the fat woman behind the counter in any government office that infuriates you with her banal and scripted answers to the question that although simply can only be answered A or B when in fact neither A nor B could possibly be the answer.......er.....wrong thread maybe?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Not everyone is meant to be a brain surgeon.  I am not (in spite of my mother's ambitions).  We don't all need to have the same job anyway.  Unfortunately a non-technical college course is pretty much ... at the mercy of the ideology of the professor (liberal or conservative).  I got a D once, for falling asleep in class (one time).  Technical courses are more linear and more fair.  You either can do the problem or you can't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I know I'm just a stranger on the internet but please hang in there and complete your degree. If you were a couple of years in quitting might make sense but you are so close. I know it is difficult but spending all that time and money and not getting that piece of paper is a big financial mistake.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 18, 2018, 09:29:58 PM
I know I'm just a stranger on the internet but please hang in there and complete your degree. If you were a couple of years in quitting might make sense but you are so close. I know it is difficult but spending all that time and money and not getting that piece of paper is a big financial mistake.

Ditto.  You have the Internet to assist.  All I had was a library card and a manual typewriter (Google it if that is before your time).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

Quote from: Jason78 on February 18, 2018, 10:26:53 PM
Depends how smart you are I guess.

Not really. I have plenty of friends coasting their way through college and not even breaking a sweat with a great GPA, and they are neck deep in debt that will take most of their life to pay off. My cousin is going to med school, which will pay well... but she is already $150,000 in debt.

I don't care how smart you are, those numbers are fucking terrifying, and it's something my generation is the first to have to deal with. All while salaries stagnate and costs of living rise. Edit - oh, and as lobbyists and politicians pass laws making it even more expensive and more difficult to get out of debt.

I'm not saying it doesn't work out for plenty of people, but even those it works out for are still going to be heavily in debt, and that is not how it should work... that's not how it works in any other civilized country.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2018, 09:14:47 PM
I totally sympathize.  A proper society would simply pay all expenses for the top 20% of HS graduates to attend 4 years of college.  It would cost a fraction of a DoD program to do so, and would greatly contribute to the defense of the US (to have smarter people).  I could jump for that long before free medical care (which mostly goes to seniors who are dying anyway).

Educated people make for a better society in the long run.  But aren't the most promising students already subsidized through university scholarships?  Or did you have more in mind?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 18, 2018, 10:40:00 PM
Not really. I have plenty of friends coasting their way through college and not even breaking a sweat with a great GPA, and they are neck deep in debt that will take most of their life to pay off. My cousin is going to med school, which will pay well... but she is already $150,000 in debt.

I don't care how smart you are, those numbers are fucking terrifying, and it's something my generation is the first to have to deal with. All while salaries stagnate and costs of living rise. Edit - oh, and as lobbyists and politicians pass laws making it even more expensive and more difficult to get out of debt.

I'm not saying it doesn't work out for plenty of people, but even those it works out for are still going to be heavily in debt, and that is not how it should work... that's not how it works in any other civilized country.

Excellent points.  It isn't like it was 40 years ago (50 years ago, in-state in CA, it was free).  Suggestion, have your med school cousin combine two things ... medicine and law.  That way he/she can sue the other doctors for malpractice, and be their own SME on medicine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 07:39:58 AM
Excellent points.  It isn't like it was 40 years ago (50 years ago, in-state in CA, it was free).  Suggestion, have your med school cousin combine two things ... medicine and law.  That way he/she can sue the other doctors for malpractice, and be their own SME on medicine.

I think it is time for a new approach to education.  Why do we educate for free only until 12th grade when that level of education doesn't get you anything?  We need to extend it through 4 years of college to those who succeed.  This extreme debt on individuals is contra-indicated for our society.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 07:47:52 AM
I think it is time for a new approach to education.  Why do we educate for free only until 12th grade when that level of education doesn't get you anything?  We need to extend it through 4 years of college to those who succeed.  This extreme debt on individuals is contra-indicated for our society.

Correct but most people don't need even HS education, they need trade education.  But everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 08:43:03 PM
Correct but most people don't need even HS education, they need trade education.  But everyone wants to be a doctor or lawyer ...

There are other specialties other than doctors and lawyers. Any quick read through a college class list will suffice.  But a basic college education is worth more than the specific subject.  I didn't engage in politics or history with a Poly-Sci major and History minor.  But it taught me a lot about how to understand the world around me.