News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Say your prayers

Started by pr126, February 17, 2018, 04:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jason78 on February 18, 2018, 06:13:11 AM
I thought that anyone could pray in an american school.   Those prayers just can't be led by a teacher.
your thoughts are correct.

Anyone can pray in school no one is saying otherwise. As long as it isn't enforced/forced/guided prayer by faculty/teaching staff, anyone can pray

PickelledEggs

Hichens says it well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGpocp9b68Q

pr is constantly insisting the rhetoric in what Hichens calls "an incredibly stupid question".

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 18, 2018, 11:39:02 AM
I am angry about the bigotry in this country. It got that horrific mess elected president, and it gets people killed every day. FORGIVE me for getting snippy with a person who posts outright lies and then tells me to "get lost" when I challenge it.
You are goddamn right I am angry.

that wasn't targeted at you, you did bring it into question and ask for elaboration.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2018, 12:10:04 PM
that wasn't targeted at you, you did bring it into question and ask for elaboration.
I did not mean to imply that it was.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 17, 2018, 04:51:30 AM
I am OK with that. As long as it is not Christian prayers. That would be inpermissible.

https://youtu.be/nEhk_J-A1fY

The prayers are repeated 17 times  every day.
The prayer al Fatiha is cursing Christians and Jews.

Not many kuffar know that.

Actually it is similar to the Our Father and Psalm 1.  Anyone who isn't religious, and religious with the right god ... is damned.  Abrahamic religions agree on that point.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 17, 2018, 12:58:35 PM
I don't see the big deal. They're not harming anyone.

SCOTUS disagrees with you.  But then I would shit-can the SCOTUS already.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 17, 2018, 01:16:48 PM
Except this is a complete lie. Please tell me you know this.

If you want to bring up double standards, you should look toward God-Fearing Christians and their widespread anti-Muslim bigotry.

It isn't duplicitous to be partisan, it is normal.  Only total lunatics want equality for their enemies, let alone love them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on February 18, 2018, 06:13:11 AM
I thought that anyone could pray in an american school.   Those prayers just can't be led by a teacher.

Correct.  In certain places it is still done, like at commencements and HS football games.  We just don't allow Yankees to witness it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 18, 2018, 07:37:23 AM
This. I have no problems with Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, followers of the one true God and destroyer Cthullu or whoever praying in school, so long as it is not lead by teachers and staff or interferes with class time.

I think it's pretentious as shit, particularly for Christians who don't have a religious mandate to do it, but if an individual wants to pray and isn't forcing someone else to, or shaming someone else for not, then it's none of my business.

Required, orthodox prayers, when scheduled during school time, do interfere with class time.  Or we can give Muslim and non-Muslim kids multiple recess to correspond with the required timing.  Catholics have a set of required timed prayers also.  That is why mechanical clocks were invented ... so all the brothers and sisters can pray synchronously.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 18, 2018, 11:39:02 AM
I am angry about the bigotry in this country. It got that horrific mess elected president, and it gets people killed every day. FORGIVE me for getting snippy with a person who posts outright lies and then tells me to "get lost" when I challenge it.
You are goddamn right I am angry.

I am sorry you are angry.  Anyone is angry.  But we live in a shitty world, and if you don't get angry about it ... then you would have no conscience.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2018, 08:59:59 PM
Correct.  In certain places it is still done, like at commencements and HS football games.  We just don't allow Yankees to witness it.

I watched a Ft Worth Texas HS football game once on travel (and it was more like "travail").  My experience was mostly crazy people and fire ants if you stood in one place for 2 minutes!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 02:11:23 AM
I watched a Ft Worth Texas HS football game once on travel (and it was more like "travail").  My experience was mostly crazy people and fire ants if you stood in one place for 2 minutes!

Sorry, but fire ants don't like fur.  Yes, Texas is a "whole other country" even to other Southern folk.  I am ambivalent about being from there, but at least not bored by it (Delaware ... home of corporate charters).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 07:31:06 AM
Sorry, but fire ants don't like fur.  Yes, Texas is a "whole other country" even to other Southern folk.  I am ambivalent about being from there, but at least not bored by it (Delaware ... home of corporate charters).

Dallas is the most Western city of the East and Ft Worth is the most Eastern City of the West.  I prefer Dallas (but not by much).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 07:57:24 AM
Dallas is the most Western city of the East and Ft Worth is the most Eastern City of the West.  I prefer Dallas (but not by much).

Haven't spent enough time to there to know.  I have been to Ft Worth multiple times (have a friend who lives there) .. but only been to Dallas once, and Arlington (in between) twice.  My father's natural mother is buried in Ft Worth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
It isn't duplicitous to be partisan, it is normal.  Only total lunatics want equality for their enemies, let alone love them.
It isn't normal to have a double standard about religion and to lie to support their argument. Only total hypocrites think otherwise.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR