Senate Immigration Bill Fails to Pass

Started by Shiranu, February 15, 2018, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://time.com/5161399/capitol-daca-immigration-reform/

Four chances - A bipartisan bill that Trump said he would veto anyways failed, a weaker bill by McCain and some Dem. failed, a bill punishing sanctuary cities failed, and finally Trump's bill tanked. Remember, it was just a week or two ago that Dems said they had came away with a victory in getting Mitch McConnell to agree that something would be done about the issue by today. Well, today has come and gone, and it seems all the Democrats have is their dicks in their hands and the Republicans got what they wanted... the same shit that happens time after time after time. How spineless cowards like Schumer and Pelosi get reelected is beyond me.

The other thing that really grinds my goat is that media websites, Democrats, liberals are acting like this is a victory because Trump's bill got slaughtered by both Democrats and Republicans... but how is it a victory? How fucking low do we have the bar set? Wow, so his bill didn't pass... whoopty-fucking-doo! It still means that several million people have their and their loved ones lives dominated by fear and uncertainty on what's going to happen to them. It still means that he has free reign to keep on having ICE snatch peaceful citizens from their families and tear communities apart. That doesn't sound like the racist piece of shit "lost"... just because he didn't hit the jackpot doesn't mean he isn't still walking out with winnings in his pocket.

I doubt anyone here agrees with that train of thought, but if you do... progressives, liberals, democrats, leftists, whatever... we have got to stop fucking acting like keeping him from getting his way is a victory. It's not. Even many Republicans and right-wingers don't like his proposal, we aren't special in that regard. Even if we "beat" Trump, the people we are suppose to be fighting for are getting fucked over; it's just the conversation has changed to Trump, Trump, Trump rather than the actual issues. By all means, call him out on his shit... but don't lose sight of the goal.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 15, 2018, 08:26:38 PM
The fuck is wrong with you?

I bite my finger nails due to ocd. i also have a mild allergy to onions.

oh you mean the children thing? Yeah, see i know its easy to do some mental gymnatics and miss the point of the article you linked yourself, but as saying.

QuoteAfter months of shuffling its feet and weeks of rancorous bipartisan bickering, the U.S. Senate failed to meet its self-imposed deadline on Thursday to pass a law protecting the several million immigrants who arrived in the country unlawfully as children. The fate of these immigrants, known as Dreamers, is now uncertain.

adults posing as children on their document papers is pretty fucking loathsome. Real children should have priority, but these economic migrants would lie their way in and break the law to do it, and given the limited number of migrants allowed in at any time, 'children' are pushed to the front of the line.

you don't see the issue there? Surprised you haven't realized that yet, given how you thought showing the image of a dead child on a beach before was getting the message across that children, actual children, need to come first in this migration.

Shiranu

That's not what DREAMers are... Let me get to my pc real quick.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 15, 2018, 08:34:45 PMadults posing as children on their document papers is pretty fucking loathsome.
Umm...I'm pretty sure that's not what's going on here...

Hydra009

See, there's this thing called time, whereby children slowly become adults...

Shiranu

Okay sorry, was on my phone and was not going to type all this on that keyboard...

DREAMers are children who were raised in America, attended American schools, and one of the main goals of the DREAM Act was to give these children legal protection to go to college and eventually contribute to our economy. First and foremost, you have to have been under the age of 16 when you came into the country, and you have to have lived here for at least five years without any criminal record in American soil.

The majority of DREAMers are much younger than sixteen though, and many valedictorians and 4.0 students across Texas, New Mexico and California are individuals who are applicable for DREAMer status.

Likewise this bill does not provide any benefits or protections to the family of the DREAMer, nor does it make them eligible for American citizenship on merit of being related to an American citizen. This purely provides protection and citizenship rights to the single person who applied for it.

This is what the right-wing is opposed to. This is what is actively being stripped from our politics. So when you talk about the Marxist out to destroy "our" country, I frankly cant help but shake my head and wonder where you are getting your information from... because if there are ANY Marxist in American politics, they are doing a poor as fuck job at being Marxists.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 15, 2018, 09:04:42 PM
The fuck does this have to do with DREAMers?

Dude, seriously...

You know, I get it, dancing the mental gymnastics around the issue to raise the bar on your own beliefs, thats fine, thats golden, seems to give you purpose.
But if your going to link an article, maybe try and process the faults in it, the phrase 'arrived in the country unlawfully as children', should raise some alarm bells.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 15, 2018, 09:03:47 PM*irrelevant link storm*

Honestly, it'd be a lot easier to just admit that you misunderstood the article and weren't entirely clear that Dreamers are people who were brought over illegally as kids and have since applied for protection from deportation, and not adult illegal immigrants posing as children.

I'd consider that an honest mistake and let it slide.
But doubling down on it, that's a little less forgivable.

Shiranu

I'm trying so hard to bite my tongue now. I'll do my best to keep it relevant.

QuoteBut if your going to link an article, maybe try and process the faults in it, the phrase 'arrived in the country unlawfully as children', should raise some alarm bells.

Explain.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on February 15, 2018, 05:57:00 PM
http://time.com/5161399/capitol-daca-immigration-reform/

Four chances - A bipartisan bill that Trump said he would veto anyways failed, a weaker bill by McCain and some Dem. failed, a bill punishing sanctuary cities failed, and finally Trump's bill tanked.

The debate and vote that was promised was conducted and voted.  It was all a sham.  The Republicans are VERY good at that.  Democrats are mostly suckers.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

If Democrats are suckers .. who should they blame?  Who should fix that problem?  Hmmm?  And I am not necessarily pointing a finger at your age-inappropriate credulity.

As stated before, I am in favor of immigration.  I want to replace and expel the existing citizenry.  After the last election, every citizen of the US should be deported to Outer Slobovia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.