News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Started by JCM800, February 14, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCM800

I've gone pretty much my whole life having issues that have impeded or blocked me from progressing or leading a normal life. I've always had problems learning, and have always been socially inept. I'm 27 and I don't do anything. I don't go to parties, I have no hobbies, no girlfriend/dates, etc... and never have. I always had trouble in school. I had to repeat courses many times in high school and college. In short, I've always just lacked capabilities that everyone else seems to have.

For whatever reason, it never dawned on me that I might have a mental or neurodevelopmental disorder, and should maybe seek professional help/treatment. I just always believed I was inherently broken, flawed, stupid, and undesirable. However, recently I've been informed about ASD. I did some reading and it certainly seems that I possess the requisite issues to he diagnosed as being on the spectrum. I'm 100% antisocial, I repeat the same mistakes and flawed behavior ad nauseam, and I have trouble learning. I also have a risk factor in my older father, who was 46 at the time of my birth. I've also suffered from severe depression and anxiety my entire life. My depression is of a self-loathing, suicidal nature.

I've never sought help from a professional for any of this because I've always been highly dubious of the fields of psychology and psychiatry in general. I don't see that their fields are predicated on very strong evidence. I don't see how they can make the the claims they make, or the "diagnoses" they issue. I don't see how someone can sit in some office with me for an hour and know a damn thing about me, much less be able to "diagnose" me with something. It just doesn't seem legit to me.

I'm hoping I can get some advice for a starting point in tackling my issues. Thanks.

GSOgymrat

It sounds like this diagnosis is helping you make sense of what you've experienced. Instead of focusing a diagnosis, you may want to simply recognize there are things about yourself or your situation that you would like to change. You may want to feel better about yourself, feel more content or be more productive. Think of going to a counselor as someone who can help you reach the goals you set for yourself, similar to the way a personal trainer helps people get into physical shape. Counselors don't fix people, they have resources and strategies for helping people improve their wellbeing. Give it a try and if you don't find it helpful you can always explore other avenues.

Cavebear

Quote from: JCM800 on February 14, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
I've gone pretty much my whole life having issues that have impeded or blocked me from progressing or leading a normal life. I've always had problems learning, and have always been socially inept. I'm 27 and I don't do anything. I don't go to parties, I have no hobbies, no girlfriend/dates, etc... and never have. I always had trouble in school. I had to repeat courses many times in high school and college. In short, I've always just lacked capabilities that everyone else seems to have.

For whatever reason, it never dawned on me that I might have a mental or neurodevelopmental disorder, and should maybe seek professional help/treatment. I just always believed I was inherently broken, flawed, stupid, and undesirable. However, recently I've been informed about ASD. I did some reading and it certainly seems that I possess the requisite issues to he diagnosed as being on the spectrum. I'm 100% antisocial, I repeat the same mistakes and flawed behavior ad nauseam, and I have trouble learning. I also have a risk factor in my older father, who was 46 at the time of my birth. I've also suffered from severe depression and anxiety my entire life. My depression is of a self-loathing, suicidal nature.

I've never sought help from a professional for any of this because I've always been highly dubious of the fields of psychology and psychiatry in general. I don't see that their fields are predicated on very strong evidence. I don't see how they can make the the claims they make, or the "diagnoses" they issue. I don't see how someone can sit in some office with me for an hour and know a damn thing about me, much less be able to "diagnose" me with something. It just doesn't seem legit to me.

I'm hoping I can get some advice for a starting point in tackling my issues. Thanks.

Try talking to a professional about this.  What have you got to lose?  A few secrets to a professional who will keep them?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

There are different kinds of psychiatry/counseling.  Many are too quick to prescribe psychoactive medications.  Be a well informed patient.  Unfortunately, in medicine in general, and psychiatry in particular, what works for one person, won't work for another.  My daughter has to change doctors and counselors all the time, to try to get a better fit.

And kudos for dealing with autism.  Remember, high performance autistic people my be idiots, but they are also savants ;-)

PS ... multiple meds (for more than just psychiatry) messed up my daughter's intestinal environment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

You asked for advice and I will offer mine. Tis really a simple opinion based on personal observation of life in general.

A. Do nothing and continue on knowing that you know something is wrong.
B. Try something different.

Establish a timeline. Give, and TELL your doc you are giving them x months to see and recognize a positive change. If not move on. Maybe move on even if there is a positive change. Maybe it took too long.

But above all...trudge forward. Through the mud and mire and blowing sand.....(say that in the voice of Winston Churchill and it sounds MUCH more impressive)

Good luck
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Quote from: JCM800 on February 14, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

Why are you trying to diagnose yourself if you believe that you can't be diagnosed?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on February 18, 2018, 10:28:26 PM
Why are you trying to diagnose yourself if you believe that you can't be diagnosed?

A hallmark of people sufferring some problems is that they aren't certain they are sufferring them.  They need friends or other trusted people to convince them they need help. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 02:04:36 AM
A hallmark of people sufferring some problems is that they aren't certain they are sufferring them.  They need friends or other trusted people to convince them they need help.

True.  And actual psychological problems are famously un-apparent to sufferers.  If your knee hurts however, it usually is unambiguous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 07:37:01 AM
True.  And actual psychological problems are famously un-apparent to sufferers.  If your knee hurts however, it usually is unambiguous.

OK, yes, I meant mental problems.  I am guilty of assuming what I thought was obvious.

Jason78

Then I would recommend that the OP sees a doctor, explains their symptoms and then let the doctor make the diagnosis. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on February 19, 2018, 08:10:33 AM
Then I would recommend that the OP sees a doctor, explains their symptoms and then let the doctor make the diagnosis.

Of course.  On the other hand, if one is afraid of doctors, then get a list of autism symptoms, and check off the list.  And check what other problems cause the symptoms you check off, in case one of them is a better fit.  On the other hand, I haven't heard of any treatment for autism that works.  You learn to live with it, like blindness or deafness ... if it isn't too severe.  Then you are merely eccentric.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.