Bill Maher's "Rules About Religion" collection.

Started by Brian37, June 16, 2013, 05:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Solitary

Thanks for refreshing my memories. I remember these and laughed myself silly watching them.  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

La Dolce Vita

Though slightly grating that he degined religion as belief in a supernatural being, ignores atheistic religions presenting the false idea that atheism = lack of religion/opposition to religion in the very first clip I do love these rants.

Colanth

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"atheistic religions
Translation - lack of belief in any god method of believing in a supernatural creator.  Seems like a self-contradiction to me.  (Atheistic sects of Buddhism are philosophies, not religions.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"atheistic religions
Translation - lack of belief in any god method of believing in a supernatural creator.  Seems like a self-contradiction to me.  (Atheistic sects of Buddhism are philosophies, not religions.)

Atheism obviously don't play a part in atheistic religions, because, well, atheism can't play a part, it's a lack/exclusion of a belief. Atheistic religions are just religions that have no belief in gods. But you seem slightly confused as to what a religion is. Religion has never been defined as belief in a supernatural creator (well, I'm sure someone has defined it that way) - or having anything to do with anything of the kind. Dogma, rituals, cleric, etc. There a bunch of key elements, that do not all have to be there, for something to be classified as a religion. Are the atheistic parts of buddhism that still believes in heavens, hells and multiple other dimensions really just philosophies?

Satt

Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"We\'re a bunch of twats on the internet. We can\'t help you. You should see a psychologist.