Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory

Started by Shiranu, January 07, 2018, 07:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
Yeah, but as a simple buyer and holder for decades, when I finally wanted to sell off for retirement assurity, I had to face capital gains for just shifting Vanguard stocks to Vanguard bonds and CDs.  And trying to understand THOSE rules cost me $80K.

That doesn't seem right either.
Capital gains is a completely different animal from a transaction tax, though.

The transaction tax is generally very small individually, and only becomes large because of overall trade volume.

Belgium, for example, has a transaction tax of 0.27% with a cap of â,¬1,600 per transaction -- hardly onerous, since â,¬1,600 is 0.27% of nearly â,¬600,000.  A â,¬60,000 transaction would have a tax of â,¬160; a â,¬6,000 trade a tax of â,¬16.  France, on the other hand, does a transaction tax of 0.2% on stock purchases of French publicly traded companies with a market value over â,¬1 billion, presumably to not discourage investment in small cap companies.  I can't find any way to consider that a hefty burden.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 03:38:57 PM
What can I say, I was just thinking outside the box...

If we could reduce gerrymandering, the voting box would work better...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!