News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Never mind the Tesla in space.

Started by trdsf, February 10, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2018, 11:07:56 PM
Lots of agencies and corporations are really gearing up for it.  Most optimistic picture (earliest plans come to fruition successfully) is about a decade.  A more realistic prediction would be two decades, maybe three.  But hey, I hear people are living longer, so there are baby boomers who might witness it.
I should be able to do twenty, thirty years.  The one I'd really love to see happen ASAP is Breakthrough Starshot; if they can get that outward bound in the next 10-15 years, I have a chance to live long enough for its arrival in the Proxima Centauri system.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Okay, extra coolness points for the Tesla in space: in the glovebox is a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a towel.  Also on board is a copy of Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy in a format that is projected to be long-term stableâ€"possibly (but not certainly) billions of years.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

What's this about blasting David Bowie's Space Oddity - while in space where no sound can be heard?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 12, 2018, 01:28:44 PM
What's this about blasting David Bowie's Space Oddity - while in space where no sound can be heard?
Actually, it was 'Life on Mars' and 'Starman' in rotation, as I recall.  Yeah, it couldn't actually be heard, it was just a style point.  I don't recall if there was an actual broadcast of those from the car or not.

PickelledEggs

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 12, 2018, 10:19:02 AMAlso on board is a copy of Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy in a format that is projected to be long-term stableâ€"possibly (but not certainly) billions of years.  :D
It’s one thing to have guts; it’s another to be crazy!

Cavebear

I saw the image of the Tesla car in orbit, and 'Heavy Metal' came immediately to mind.  As I'm sure it did to Musk.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I sure hope that astronaut was strapped in good - he might go flying off and get lost in space.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman