News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Never mind the Tesla in space.

Started by trdsf, February 10, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Okay, 10 out of 10 for cool, 10 out of 10 for attention grabbing, but for my money, the mindblowing part of the Falcon Heavy launch was watching the two boosters come down and land upright.  Five years ago, I would've said it was all CGI.

I mean, that's 12 out of 10 for telling inertia and center of mass to shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-pfzKbh2k
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Holy Crap!  That was incredible.  I heard that happened, but to see it was stunning.  High speed projectiles screaming in at the base and slamming on the breaks just above ground to land spot on their pads.  It was like watching something in Star Trek.  I guess they won't be dumping the boosters in the ocean anymore.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 04:10:44 PM
Holy Crap!  That was incredible.  I heard that happened, but to see it was stunning.  High speed projectiles screaming in at the base and slamming on the breaks just above ground to land spot on their pads.  It was like watching something in Star Trek.  I guess they won't be dumping the boosters in the ocean anymore.
Well, actually, the plan was to land the main booster on a remote-controlled barge at seaâ€"which they have done successfully beforeâ€"but alas, that was a failed landing.  My understanding is that they cut their fuel tolerance too tight and it wasn't able to fully brake before touchdown.

So, dumping, no.  Landing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sJlFzUQVmY
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, the core burned longer, so it was too far from Florida to touch down with the boosters. That would have been EPIC!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

I am always in favor of good technology.  And I prefer it to not be tax payer subsidized, but I can understand NASA etc has to be.  I used to be a rocket scientist too (well at least as much as Elon) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-aAp9hhNQQ

I was involved with this kind of thing 1987-1989.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 10, 2018, 01:45:25 PM
Okay, 10 out of 10 for cool, 10 out of 10 for attention grabbing, but for my money, the mindblowing part of the Falcon Heavy launch was watching the two boosters come down and land upright.  Five years ago, I would've said it was all CGI.
Agreed.  This and the Curiosity Mars probe landing successfully are probably this generation's moon landing.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2018, 11:59:22 AM
Agreed.  This and the Curiosity Mars probe landing successfully are probably this generation's moon landing.
I'm still holding out hope for a Mars landing during my lifetime!

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 11, 2018, 04:18:45 PM

He was looking for volunteers for the first flight.  Are you on the list?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 11, 2018, 04:50:26 PM
He was looking for volunteers for the first flight.  Are you on the list?
Hell, I'd volunteer if I were healthy enough, but I'm not. I wouldn't even care if it were a one-way trip, hell, we've all got to go sometime, and I wouldn't mind dying on Mars, or even in transit. It wouldn't make a bit of difference once I'm dead anyway.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2018, 05:29:14 PM
Hell, I'd volunteer if I were healthy enough, but I'm not. I wouldn't even care if it were a one-way trip, hell, we've all got to go sometime, and I wouldn't mind dying on Mars, or even in transit. It wouldn't make a bit of difference once I'm dead anyway.

I would miss you ... unless your spaceship has a good Internet connection ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2018, 05:29:14 PM
I love Musk's quote: "I would like to die on Mars.  Just not on impact."

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on February 11, 2018, 04:18:45 PM
Lots of agencies and corporations are really gearing up for it.  Most optimistic picture (earliest plans come to fruition successfully) is about a decade.  A more realistic prediction would be two decades, maybe three.  But hey, I hear people are living longer, so there are baby boomers who might witness it.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Elon will have to shrink really small to fit into that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers