News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Films

Started by SGOS, February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2018, 07:10:37 PM

Mike CL: But you believe all the rest of the Propaganda about George and Abe, right?  You have been Weemed.
More inane and snide comments.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on February 12, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
Interestingly, over the weekend I went and saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theaterâ€"and the first time I've seen it since discarding religion once and for all.

At its core, it unquestioningly puts the Ark forth as a powerful and functional religious object, but it doesn't really treat it with any more reverence or awe than any other major archeological find.  It's just a magic box you mumble over; if it assumes any religion, it goes no further than Judaism, and doesn't bother pushing the point.
And that bit about the power of God at the end?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 12, 2018, 08:08:37 PM
More inane and snide comments.

I thought you mentioning Bishop Weems to her particularly pertinent.  Sorry you didn't agree with my generalization ... but OK.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM
More and more these are showing up, and usually you can spot them because they have titles that suggest the content.  But more and more often, the titles and even the synopsis given by Redbox (the same one usually attached by the filmmakers), hides the subject, plot, and purpose.  I almost always look up a new film at Rotten Tomatoes, and if it's ham fisted religion for the sheep, someone invariably points it out.  Alternatively, they might caution that it's religious, but give it a pass on other story telling or film making merits.

I run into that a lot trying to find DVDs about human evolution.  You have to look carefully in the descriptions and in  the reviews for keywords relating to creationism "alternate views" and "new ideas". 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 12, 2018, 09:38:20 PM
And that bit about the power of God at the end?
It doesn't really do anything with it.  What's the reaction to that display, to kneel down and worship?  Nope, it's to crate it up and file it away.  Apparently bureaucracy is stronger than divinity.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:08:45 AM
It doesn't really do anything with it.  What's the reaction to that display, to kneel down and worship?  Nope, it's to crate it up and file it away.  Apparently bureaucracy is stronger than divinity.

You know, this reminds me of the claims theists (and other crazy people) make about scientists.  That they are hiding evidence of religion or aliens, etc...

Are they kidding?  Any scientist who found evidence of a deity or an alien would run sceaming to the nearest newspaper to get their discovery recorded.  It would be instant and immortal fame!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 09:25:05 AM
You know, this reminds me of the claims theists (and other crazy people) make about scientists.  That they are hiding evidence of religion or aliens, etc...

Are they kidding?  Any scientist who found evidence of a deity or an alien would run sceaming to the nearest newspaper to get their discovery recorded.  It would be instant and immortal fame!
To say nothing of the history of religious suppression of inconvenient facts.  I've always thought there's more than a little "I know you are but what am I?" in the accusation of a vast scientific conspiracy to "suppress" the "facts" about religion, creationism, alien visitation, whatever.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:40:25 AM
To say nothing of the history of religious suppression of inconvenient facts.  I've always thought there's more than a little "I know you are but what am I?" in the accusation of a vast scientific conspiracy to "suppress" the "facts" about religion, creationism, alien visitation, whatever.

Well, when it comes to the "I know you are but what am I?", Trump probably has that covered.  He is expert at "You claim something about me and will claim it back at you double"!

And there is the problem.  Logic and facts aren't involved. Fears of supporters are.