News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Films

Started by SGOS, February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2018, 07:54:51 PM
I would pay good money to watch the real story.  The one with cheating and lying.  The Life of Brian prequel.
That's just it.  There is no real story.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 11, 2018, 08:53:20 PM
I meant the "virgin" Mary story.  The "I got knocked up but I never had sex" story.  I get the Marys confused sometimes.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2018, 10:10:44 PM
I meant the "virgin" Mary story.  The "I got knocked up but I never had sex" story.  I get the Marys confused sometimes.
:)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 11, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
Was walking into town yesterday past the upcoming film posters they have up at the bus station, and had to do a double take at this.

I groaned and moved on.

How do they make a movie about a woman who watches Jesus die? She doesn't do much in the Bible.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 10, 2018, 01:30:33 PM
I've been eating dinner lately at the local gospel mission, where we usually have to listen to an hour of God talk in order to eat dinner. And sometimes they show the first half or so (all there's time for) of a Christian movie. Recently they showed the movie God's not Dead. The film went out of it's way to show any and every atheist to be total assholes. I was glad we only had to watch an hour of it, and missed the ending, where the professor finally came to Jesus.
Most cities now have missions and free meals where the obligatory prayer session isn't required. My few years of homeless sheltering got me into the habit of letting them know that under no circumstances were they going to get away with shoveling religion on me while Uncle Sugar was footing the bill. You might be surprised how fast they'll back down when confronted with the concept of being challenged by separation of church and state.. I won every time.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 11, 2018, 08:53:20 PM

So, you never watched fictional movies?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Next movie "Joseph: How gullible was I?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Interestingly, over the weekend I went and saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theaterâ€"and the first time I've seen it since discarding religion once and for all.

At its core, it unquestioningly puts the Ark forth as a powerful and functional religious object, but it doesn't really treat it with any more reverence or awe than any other major archeological find.  It's just a magic box you mumble over; if it assumes any religion, it goes no further than Judaism, and doesn't bother pushing the point.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 12, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
Interestingly, over the weekend I went and saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theaterâ€"and the first time I've seen it since discarding religion once and for all.

At its core, it unquestioningly puts the Ark forth as a powerful and functional religious object, but it doesn't really treat it with any more reverence or awe than any other major archeological find.  It's just a magic box you mumble over; if it assumes any religion, it goes no further than Judaism, and doesn't bother pushing the point.

And it kills Nazis!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 11, 2018, 11:43:19 PM
How do they make a movie about a woman who watches Jesus die? She doesn't do much in the Bible.
According to gospel Mark, she was the first person to see the risen Jesus. That's quite a distinction.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 12, 2018, 01:12:02 PM
According to gospel Mark, she was the first person to see the risen Jesus. That's quite a distinction.

That's not much to go on. They're going to have to take a lot of creative liberties.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Creative liberties is what I call pious lies. They don't seem to mind that al all.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Creative liberties or pious lies--good labels each one.  The poster child of what the religious do to push their brand is what Weems did with George Washington.  He created a false story of Washington chopping down a cherry tree and not lying about it to his father to use as an illustration of what an honest person should do--don't lie.  So, that creating a lie to teach one not to lie.  And the religious do that sort of crap all the time; for them any means to the end is what they do.  Pious lying.  I like that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 12, 2018, 01:12:02 PM

Depends on what "risen" means ... haha.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2018, 05:14:21 PM
That's not much to go on. They're going to have to take a lot of creative liberties.

Hollywood doing that well since WW II.  You think the Allies won the war?  Bwahha.

Mike CL: But you believe all the rest of the Propaganda about George and Abe, right?  You have been Weemed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.