News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Films

Started by SGOS, February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

More and more these are showing up, and usually you can spot them because they have titles that suggest the content.  But more and more often, the titles and even the synopsis given by Redbox (the same one usually attached by the filmmakers), hides the subject, plot, and purpose.  I almost always look up a new film at Rotten Tomatoes, and if it's ham fisted religion for the sheep, someone invariably points it out.  Alternatively, they might caution that it's religious, but give it a pass on other story telling or film making merits.

In my dreams, I would like to see a movie rating system that would caution viewers of religious content, because it feels like they want to trick me into watching some subversive brain washing film in the hopes that I will meet Jesus, or maybe they just want me to pay money to rent the rubbish.  Not that I haven't found some spiritual themes enjoyable if they are not too gooey and heavy handed or tangential to the plot.  I can actually relate to some religious person's emotional joy as a third party, and this doesn't bother me.  But half of these seem more like outright propaganda films.

For some reason, I get the impression that the filmmakers want to trick me into watching something I find offensive on the off chance that it will end up leading me to enlightenment, rather than boring me to death.  But then people selling shit will always search for a manipulative trick to sell you what they have, I suppose.

Gawdzilla Sama

When they start out with a lie, "God exists", further prevarication is axiomatic.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Kaleb5000

I think it's more they don't want the label Christian film because many will dismiss it simply because it tells a story through the lens of a Christian worldview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on February 10, 2018, 07:08:42 AM
I think it's more they don't want the label Christian film because many will dismiss it simply because it tells a story through the lens of a Christian worldview.

Yeah, Christer propaganda.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Don't like it?

Don't watch it!

But I did like Joshua (2002).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM
More and more these are showing up, and usually you can spot them because they have titles that suggest the content.  But more and more often, the titles and even the synopsis given by Redbox (the same one usually attached by the filmmakers), hides the subject, plot, and purpose.  I almost always look up a new film at Rotten Tomatoes, and if it's ham fisted religion for the sheep, someone invariably points it out.  Alternatively, they might caution that it's religious, but give it a pass on other story telling or film making merits.

In my dreams, I would like to see a movie rating system that would caution viewers of religious content, because it feels like they want to trick me into watching some subversive brain washing film in the hopes that I will meet Jesus, or maybe they just want me to pay money to rent the rubbish.  Not that I haven't found some spiritual themes enjoyable if they are not too gooey and heavy handed or tangential to the plot.  I can actually relate to some religious person's emotional joy as a third party, and this doesn't bother me.  But half of these seem more like outright propaganda films.

For some reason, I get the impression that the filmmakers want to trick me into watching something I find offensive on the off chance that it will end up leading me to enlightenment, rather than boring me to death.  But then people selling shit will always search for a manipulative trick to sell you what they have, I suppose.

The ads are typically pretty overt about their intentions. They're painfully corny and can't go five seconds without saying a Christian cliche. They WANT people to know that their film is Christian propaganda, because then all the Christians will flock to the theater to support their poorly written movies.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2018, 10:37:08 AM
The ads are typically pretty overt about their intentions.
It's been my experience that this is becoming less so.  I'm usually consistent in doing due diligence before renting a film, but even then they've slid one by me a time or two.  Nothing like putting the latest rental disk in your drive, and then settling back with a cold one to enjoy some lighthearted family entertainment.  Nothing much, just some feel good stuff that requires little in the way of intellectual heavy lifting.  Then 5 minutes into the film you start to get this creepy feeling, vague at first, but it starts to grow.  You develop a lump in your stomach.  Something is going wrong, and then suddenly you realize it's Christian pabulum, and everyone in the movie is walking around like the Stepford Wives.  I yank out the disk and smash it with a hammer, put the pieces back in the box, and stick in back in the Redbox machine.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 11:25:13 AM
It's been my experience that this is becoming less so.  I'm usually consistent in doing due diligence before renting a film, but even then they've slid one by me a time or two.  Nothing like putting the latest rental disk in your drive, and then settling back with a cold one to enjoy some lighthearted family entertainment.  Nothing much, just some feel good stuff that requires little in the way of intellectual heavy lifting.  Then 5 minutes into the film you start to get this creepy feeling, vague at first, but it starts to grow.  You develop a lump in your stomach.  Something is going wrong, and then suddenly you realize it's Christian pabulum, and everyone in the movie is walking around like the Stepford Wives.  I yank out the disk and smash it with a hammer, put the pieces back in the box, and stick in back in the Redbox machine.

You're making me Google words again.

I'm guessing they have no way of tracking down which customer had which particular copy of the movie? I never thought about that.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
I'm guessing they have no way of tracking down which customer had which particular copy of the movie? I never thought about that.
No, they keep track by cross referencing the customer with a bar code.  They even notify you by email when you've returned the film.  They know.  They always know.  As for breakage.  It happens.  On rare occasion, I'll get a broken one, usually a barely visible hairline crack.  They give you a credit for that.  I've never intentionally smashed a disk.  That would probably piss them off.

Unbeliever

I've been eating dinner lately at the local gospel mission, where we usually have to listen to an hour of God talk in order to eat dinner. And sometimes they show the first half or so (all there's time for) of a Christian movie. Recently they showed the movie God's not Dead. The film went out of it's way to show any and every atheist to be total assholes. I was glad we only had to watch an hour of it, and missed the ending, where the professor finally came to Jesus.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 10, 2018, 01:30:33 PM
I've been eating dinner lately at the local gospel mission, where we usually have to listen to an hour of God talk in order to eat dinner. And sometimes they show the first half or so (all there's time for) of a Christian movie. Recently they showed the movie God's not Dead. The film went out of it's way to show any and every atheist to be total assholes. I was glad we only had to watch an hour of it, and missed the ending, where the professor finally came to Jesus.

I love how the PHILOSOPHY professor starts his class by telling his students that they were not allowed to think for themselves, and that ideas he disagreed with were taboo in his class. Projection much? The only reason a Christian should feel threatened in a philosophy class, where religious discussions always make up a bulk of the lesson plans, is if they know their ideas are indefensible. The entire point of philosophy is to think through ideas and to challenge assumptions, so of course a Christian raised on assumptions would not enjoy the task of thinking outside of their box.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2018, 02:02:56 PM
I love how the PHILOSOPHY professor starts his class by telling his students that they were not allowed to think for themselves, and that ideas he disagreed with were taboo in his class. Projection much?
This^ In all caps, three times.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 12:24:37 PM
No, they keep track by cross referencing the customer with a bar code.  They even notify you by email when you've returned the film.  They know.  They always know.  As for breakage.  It happens.  On rare occasion, I'll get a broken one, usually a barely visible hairline crack.  They give you a credit for that.  I've never intentionally smashed a disk.  That would probably piss them off.

Blue pill much? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 10, 2018, 01:30:33 PM

Don't you feel dirty for doing that?  Do you rap to Black music too?  Cultural appropriation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 10, 2018, 07:19:22 AM
Yeah, Christer propaganda.

Why can't a movie just be a movie. Why do only Christians have to label their movies?