News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Christian Films

Started by SGOS, February 10, 2018, 06:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on February 10, 2018, 10:45:01 PM
Why can't a movie just be a movie. Why do only Christians have to label their movies?

Don't play dumb. You know exactly why. You wouldn't want to walk into a movie and find out that it was Muslim propaganda, would you? The point of movies is to entertain. Propaganda, like God's Not Dead, is meant to sway public opinion and confirm prejudices.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kaleb5000

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2018, 10:55:55 PM
Don't play dumb. You know exactly why. You wouldn't want to walk into a movie and find out that it was Muslim propaganda, would you? The point of movies is to entertain. Propaganda, like God's Not Dead, is meant to sway public opinion and confirm prejudices.

All movies have a message and get people thinking. I will admit some Christian movies are over the top corny. I would say movies are to entertain but that is not their only purpose. Many are educational  or cause one to think deeply. Some movies are purely entertainment but what is entertaining to you is not enteraining  to everyone.

I don't know anyone who walks into a movie blindly. I read what the movie is about before walking in. If it is a movie about a Muslim on his journey to faith I probably will pass. But I won't hop on a forum designed for people to whine and cry and complain about all the evil religious people of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackleaf

Quote from: Kaleb5000 on February 10, 2018, 11:04:04 PM
But I won't hop on a forum designed for people to whine and cry and complain about all the evil religious people of the world.

No. You hop into a forum to complain about all the evil atheists who won't let you brainwash others in peace.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Kaleb5000

In what way would it benefit me to brainwash anyone?

No one can force anyone to become a Christian?

Even if I could in what way would it benefit me?

SGOS

Why can't a movie just be a movie. Why do only Christians have to label their movies?
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  My original complaint was that I wished they always would.  And all movies fit into a genre of some sort.  If Hollywood doesn't advertise a movie as a romantic comedy, Rotten Tomatoes and the critics will.  Movie sites and streaming companies organize movies by type, because it makes it easier for people to search through them.

Christian producers have a stake here.  They want their movies to appeal to the faithful, but they may avoid advertising a movie as such to get others to watch, if only accidently, and as much as we rag on Christians around here, the ones we do most of the complaining about are not a large movie audience to begin with.  My Baptist grandmother taught me that even seeing a movie was a sin.  How do you build a following starting from that point?

And of course, no matter the genre, or the director, or the actors, movies are still under the scrutiny of the critics who traditionally have not reacted favorably to Christian movies, not because they are Christian, but because they have junior high school level scripts and boring plot lines.  "Ham fisted" is a commonly used criticis, because they are about as subtle as a hammer and driven by doctrine.  The movies follow the Christian strategy of getting in your face, making arbitrary judgments, and elevating the Christian philosophy to an uncalled for superior position, which as you might have noticed is a tedious bore and tends to alienate others, sometimes even other believers.

Baruch

Label every movie of course.  And yes, a Muslim terrorist's journey to faith is interesting ...

The Story of Khalil in Arabic with English Subtitles اÙ,,عربية (on YouTube) is interesting for a Christian to watch.  Muslims and Christians make up 1/2 of the human race.  They need to get along with each other.  Neither is going anywhere.  But please, both of you, don't kill Jews ... that is parricide.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2018, 10:55:55 PM

All Hollywood is propaganda.  We are trying to turn everyone one to Jewish movie mogul sex offenders ;-(

Of course some Christians are offended by some Christian movies ... they are divided into 1000 competing sects.  If we would just put the Vatican in charge again ... this bickering would be solved.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 10, 2018, 07:26:47 PM
Don't you feel dirty for doing that?
Yes
QuoteDo you rap to Black music too?
Yes
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Was walking into town yesterday past the upcoming film posters they have up at the bus station, and had to do a double take at this.

I groaned and moved on.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

In alternative gospel ... Jesus and the Magdalene got it on.  Your current leadership is descended from the son of G-d himself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 11, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
Was walking into town yesterday past the upcoming film posters they have up at the bus station, and had to do a double take at this.

I groaned and moved on.
I would pay good money to watch the real story.  The one with cheating and lying.  The Life of Brian prequel.

Unbeliever

According to Joe Atwill, every major female character in the NT was named Mary. Even Martha, the sister of Lazarus, was a derivative of the name Mary. He says the name means "rebellious one." I don't think his theory is taken seriously by serious Bible scholars, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2018, 07:54:51 PM
I would pay good money to watch the real story.  The one with cheating and lying.  The Life of Brian prequel.

In the Life of Brian it is the centurion, Panthera, who is the father of Jesus.  That is an old Jewish burlesque.

But this Mary is the Magdalene, not Mary mother of Jesus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2018, 07:58:31 PM
According to Joe Atwill, every major female character in the NT was named Mary. Even Martha, the sister of Lazarus, was a derivative of the name Mary. He says the name means "rebellious one." I don't think his theory is taken seriously by serious Bible scholars, though.

A very common name then, being Mariamne ... in Aramaic ... the sister of Moshe (Moses).  Like Jesus is common in Mexico for boys.

"In Hebrew the meaning of the name Mary is: Wished-for child; rebellion; bitter."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Because every christian movie has an agenda; to show that a fiction is actually real. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?