My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space

Started by Coveny, February 10, 2018, 01:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 12, 2018, 05:39:14 AM
Luckily most nations, including those with current space capabilities have signed treaties against doing just that.

Same as Antarctica.  And that division was based on freedom of navigation law.  Good thing the US owns the Moon though, we can put all our lunatics there ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Treaties are only as good as the armies used to enforce them.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

We're all fucked - we just don't know it yet.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 12, 2018, 01:52:42 PM
Treaties are only as good as the armies used to enforce them.

According to Iron Sky II ... Hitler built a utopian society under the S Pole, not just on the dark side of the Moon (Iron Sky I) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 12, 2018, 06:38:31 PM
We're all fucked - we just don't know it yet.

Tell that to the Russian ordinary and extraordinary military personnel killed in Syria recently.  Some just last week.  Oops!  Will Putin release the Kraken?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Johan on February 10, 2018, 12:47:20 PM
So if Elon wants to try to light that spark by putting one of his cars in space, let him. Its an early first step in getting us to a place where private space vehicle companies are innovating and moving the needle slowly closer to a world where space travel is as common as getting on bus.

Could he have done it differently and loaded the thing with experiments? Sure. But guaranteed he would have gotten 1/10 the amount of press coverage. So put experiments on board and maybe this flight leads to one or two more flights. Or make it a press event like he did and this flight leads to ten or twenty more. Which is better? Elon is a big picture guy and he hasn't failed much so far. There are certainly worse horses you could bet on.

Challenges are good things.  Space X wouldn't exist with the governments trying things first.  Basic research leads to commercial enterprises.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Well, apparently it wasn't just a Tesla that they sent into space:

QuoteIn the glovebox of the Tesla Roadster launched on the SpaceX Falcon Heavy is the secret to preserving human knowledge forever - and it comes from a small lab in Southampton.

Professor Peter Kazansky of the Optoelectronics Research Centre at the University of Southampton has found a way to store data onto near-indestructible glass that could last for billions of years.

With the help of Nova Spivack of the Arch Mission Foundation, they aim to secure human history, art and culture in space for eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2OTtIFnC50
God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

.O.P. i got on this post late...

Elon probably didnt want to risk another expensive piece of equipement. On a test flight of the smaller rocket there was a military satelite that was destroyed when the rocket failed. I think he had to prove the heavy could lift the weight before anybody wanted to risk another piece of equipement.

The Navy has an electromagnetic rail gun that uses a magnetic field to accelerate a projectile to a speed that can cause serious damage. Maybe we can use it to launch space objects. Or we could try using that gun that Saddam had in Iraq that was meant to launch stuff into space. I dont think he ever got to try it.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on March 20, 2018, 11:27:58 PM
.O.P. i got on this post late...

Elon probably didnt want to risk another expensive piece of equipement. On a test flight of the smaller rocket there was a military satelite that was destroyed when the rocket failed. I think he had to prove the heavy could lift the weight before anybody wanted to risk another piece of equipement.

The Navy has an electromagnetic rail gun that uses a magnetic field to accelerate a projectile to a speed that can cause serious damage. Maybe we can use it to launch space objects. Or we could try using that gun that Saddam had in Iraq that was meant to launch stuff into space. I dont think he ever got to try it.

Saddam killed the Canadian engineer traitor who was building that cannon for him.  Rail guns work brilliantly, they have been proposed for the Moon for example, to get Lunar products into low Lunar orbit or even farther.  No air resistance and lighter gravity.  In long distance shots in Earth orbit, one would still have some drop in trajectory ... but on the Moon, firing vertically, no problem.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on March 20, 2018, 11:27:58 PM

The Navy has an electromagnetic rail gun that uses a magnetic field to accelerate a projectile to a speed that can cause serious damage. Maybe we can use it to launch space objects.

I am highly in favor of studying mag/lev technology.  Chemical rockets got us into space, but they are too costly and dangerous for routine work.  And it is time routine space travel starts.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Let's not forget that the Moon is a harsh mistress.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 21, 2018, 01:09:54 AM
I am highly in favor of studying mag/lev technology.  Chemical rockets got us into space, but they are too costly and dangerous for routine work.  And it is time routine space travel starts.

You missed your opportunity to be the crash test dummy on the Space Tesla ;-)  I remember funny ads for safety, being done by crash test dummies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 21, 2018, 05:57:22 AM
Let's not forget that the Moon is a harsh mistress.

Particularly if she wears leather, lives in Berlin and is chancellor of Germany ;-)  Funny code names we use.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.