Bermuda repeals same-sex marriage

Started by Hydra009, February 09, 2018, 11:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

QuoteBermuda’s governor has signed into law a bill reversing the right of gay couples to marry, despite a supreme court ruling last year authorising same-sex marriage.

Walton Brown, Bermuda’s minister of home affairs, said the legislation signed by Governor John Rankin would balance opposition to same-sex marriage on the socially conservative island while complying with European court rulings that ensure recognition and protection for same-sex couples in the territory.

Bermuda’s Senate and House of Assembly passed the legislation by wide margins in December and a majority of voters opposed same-sex marriage in a referendum.

“The act is intended to strike a fair balance between two currently irreconcilable groups in Bermuda, by restating that marriage must be between a male and a female while at the same time recognising and protecting the rights of same-sex couples,” said Brown, whose ruling Progressive Labour party proposed the repeal.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/08/bermuda-repeal-same-sex-marriage

"balance"

Gay people want to get hitched, homophobes oppose that, so let's compromise.  Gays can kinda sorta get married, but it's not technically marriage.  Everyone's happy, right?  *crickets*  Right?

I'd hate to see this appeal to moderation principle applied to other contentious topics.  Let's partially go to war with North Korea.  Let's partially teach evolution.  Let's partially protect the environment.  You get the picture.  These "compromises" are lunacy, but they exist because the general public is pretty schizophrenic on the topic.

Bermuda public opinion poll from October 2015

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I hear the term centrist often used as a positive description.  I don't hold the concept in high regard.  I usually see centrist positions as harmful to the overall good, but helpful for the political process.  This is fine if you want to promote the political process for the sake of the political process.  The problem is that political processes, seldom accomplish anything good, but the centrists seem to think doing something is a good thing, even if the thing itself has negative consequences.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 10, 2018, 05:18:45 AM
I hear the term centrist often used as a positive description.  I don't hold the concept in high regard.  I usually see centrist positions as harmful to the overall good, but helpful for the political process.  This is fine if you want to promote the political process for the sake of the political process.  The problem is that political processes, seldom accomplish anything good, but the centrists seem to think doing something is a good thing, even if the thing itself has negative consequences.

Yes, compromise with opponents is evil, because our opponents are evil.  The Final Solution for them, yes?

If you find you think like this, then you aren't a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.  Join Hitler or Stalin, fight for your so called principles on the Eastern Front.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Yesterday's centrist becomes today's left-winger when the other side decides to take a hard right turn; conversely, yesterday's right-winger becomes today's centrist.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Centrists are skilled at passing laws, just not good laws.  And standing for everything is indistinguishable from standing for nothing.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 10, 2018, 09:07:59 AM
Centrists are skilled at passing laws, just not good laws.  And standing for everything is indistinguishable from standing for nothing.

Only puritans are ... pure.  Natch.  I have no need for extremists ... except in the mental ward.  No different from Jihadis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Centrism doesn't mean splitting the difference every time.  Sometimes it means "I'll support that one good idea YOU have if you will support that one idea I have that YOU think is good.

The idea is to trade good ideas, not bad ones.  And I'm not seeing a whole lot of that lately...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 02:48:36 AM
Centrism doesn't mean splitting the difference every time.  Sometimes it means "I'll support that one good idea YOU have if you will support that one idea I have that YOU think is good.

The idea is to trade good ideas, not bad ones.  And I'm not seeing a whole lot of that lately...

Ancient method of squabbling children.  One child cuts the last section of pie, the second child gets to choose first which half they want.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 18, 2018, 08:54:52 PM
Ancient method of squabbling children.  One child cuts the last section of pie, the second child gets to choose first which half they want.

My Gramma once said I had a "miking eye" when it came to pieces of good stuff.  Well, I see geometry well.

But that's not how Republicans work legislation these days.  If they can't get a majority of their party in support of a law, it can't come to a vote.  Never mind that some basically good laws WOULD pass without that idiotic partisan practice...

That is the very refusal of bipartisanship.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 02:20:02 AM
My Gramma once said I had a "miking eye" when it came to pieces of good stuff.  Well, I see geometry well.

But that's not how Republicans work legislation these days.  If they can't get a majority of their party in support of a law, it can't come to a vote.  Never mind that some basically good laws WOULD pass without that idiotic partisan practice...

That is the very refusal of bipartisanship.

Bipartisanship is an oxymoron ... but you are not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 07:27:03 AM
Bipartisanship is an oxymoron ... but you are not.

Bipartisanship is only imaginary to partisans.  Like, I must say, like yourself.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 08:03:00 AM
Bipartisanship is only imaginary to partisans.  Like, I must say, like yourself.

Partisanship, like killing people ... is only wrong if you have the wrong targets.  Or are you Gandhi now?  Gandhi wasn't even unprejudiced.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 08:21:01 PM
Partisanship, like killing people ... is only wrong if you have the wrong targets.  Or are you Gandhi now?  Gandhi wasn't even unprejudiced.

Nothing like throwing random unconnected events into a discussion.  Trump has a job for you somewhere.  He has lots of vacancies because no one else wants the jobs.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 03:41:22 AM
Nothing like throwing random unconnected events into a discussion.  Trump has a job for you somewhere.  He has lots of vacancies because no one else wants the jobs.

Easy to say for a retiree.  If you were younger, you would still be in an office with the WH guy on the wall ;-0
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.