Ireland - FGM 'should be allowed by law'

Started by pr126, February 09, 2018, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Female circumcision 'should be allowed by law' - leading member of Ireland's Islamic Cultural Centre
QuoteFemale circumcision "has been described in a horrible way" and should be considered in certain circumstances, a leading member of the Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland has said.

Dr Ali Selim called female circumcision "an inherited practice" and said parents should be allowed to have it carried out on their daughter if a doctor says it's necessary.

He also said that you "cannot control people" and people will travel overseas for the procedure.

Female circumcision, also known as female genital mutilation (FGM), is defined as the partial of total destruction of female genitalia for non-medical reasons and was made illegal here in 2012.

FGM has been carried out on an estimated 200 million girls around the world, including nearly 6,000 in Ireland.

Despite the World Health Organisation stating that "the procedure has no health benefits for girls and women", Dr Selim claims it should be allowed in some instances.

Speaking on Prime Time on RTE One last night, he explained: "I am not an advocate of female genital mutilation, but of female circumcision.

"If we see female circumcision in the same way as male circumcision, it might be needed for one person and not another, it has to be determined by a doctor and practiced in a safe, medical environment.

"It's the same medical reasons that justify male circumcision, it's not an obligation but it should be allowed by law if needed and a medical doctor should be able to decide if it's needed."

GSOgymrat

I don't believe male or female circumcision should be legally allowed for children unless it is for the correction of a birth defect.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 09, 2018, 02:36:16 PM
I don't believe male or female circumcision should be legally allowed for children unless it is for the correction of a birth defect.

Anyone whos mind isn't compromised by non-true beliefs about the world (like religion) would surely agree.

Baruch

The Irish priests and nuns used to beat children worse than circumcision.  They could beat you every school day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:36:12 PM
The Irish priests and nuns used to beat children worse than circumcision.  They could beat you every school day.
Beatings are for schooldays. FGM is for life.

FGM (removal of the clitoris) is done to prevent the females from straying. It is like neutering your cat.
Although human females can still breed, some die from infection, some have lifelong pain.

In the UK there were 9000 cases so far, not one conviction.
We dare not interfere, lest we are accused of racism and Islamophobia.

pr126

The alarming rise of female genital mutilation in America

QuoteIt has no basis in religion ...
[CNN] No religious texts require FGM. Yet some cultures and sects believe the practice makes for better wives by making girls more acceptable in their communities, thus improving their eligibility for marriage. The practice aims to reduce a woman's libido to ensure premarital virginity and marital fidelity, and can be associated with being "feminine," "modest," "clean" and "beautiful."

This is a lie. The Sharia (Islamic law) is  specificly commands FGM

Quotee4.3    Circumcision is obligatory (O: for both men and women. For men it consists of removing the prepuce from the penis, and for women, removing the prepuce (Ar. Bazr) of the clitoris (n: not the clitoris itself, as some mistakenly assert). (A: Hanbalis hold that circumcision of women is not obligatory but sunna, while Hanafis consider it a mere courtesy to the husband.)"

QuoteThe Arabic word bazr does not mean "prepuce of the clitoris", it means the clitoris itself (cf. the entry in the Arabic-English Dictionary). The deceptive translation by Nuh Hah Mim Keller, made for Western consumption, obscures the Shafi’i law, given by ‘Umdat al-Salik, that circumcision of girls by excision of the clitoris is mandatory. This particular form of female circumcision is widely practiced in Egypt, where the Shafi’i school of Sunni law is followed.

Feminist response:
QuoteHow about let's keep our own noses out of the personal choices of other people? You can start there. I don't understand or support Christianity, either, but it's none of my damn business and it's not about me. That's what makes the world go around.

Feminism is about women's rights.  If you are a Muslim woman, you are out of luck.

Jason78

By that token, my belief that I ought to be able to clout idiots around the head should be enshrined in law.   Because it should be considered in certain circumstances and in some cases is necessary.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on February 10, 2018, 05:01:14 AM
By that token, my belief that I ought to be able to clout idiots around the head should be enshrined in law.   Because it should be considered in certain circumstances and in some cases is necessary.

Got shilelagh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMftjurBFl8

No, NYC is Jewish now ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: pr126
Feminist response:
How about let's keep our own noses out of the personal choices of other people? You can start there. I don't understand or support Christianity, either, but it's none of my damn business and it's not about me. That's what makes the world go around.

So I am a representative of all feminists because you used my words (and without attribution, I will add)?
That's a pretty big weight I have to carry.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

fencerider

I dont think any parent should be allowed to choose circumcision for their children. That is a type of child abuse. If any man or woman wants to do it to himself or herself of their own choice let them.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 12, 2018, 02:40:23 AM
I dont think any parent should be allowed to choose circumcision for their children. That is a type of child abuse. If any man or woman wants to do it to himself or herself of their own choice let them.

As a parent however, even if my child was an adult, I would be unhappy if my son/daughter was sticking safety pins etc thru their body that didn't belong there.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:36:12 PM

Did that have anything to do with the discussion?  In what way?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Male circumcision can have several hygenic benefits and few risks.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/circumcision/about/pac-20393550

Female circumcision has no rational purpose and is almost always a control fear.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 12, 2018, 11:55:48 PM
Did that have anything to do with the discussion?  In what way?

If you are anti-circumcision then fine with that.  But this is also about Ireland, not New Jersey.  The Irish have a number of Catholic bullshits going on.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2018, 05:51:50 AM
If you are anti-circumcision then fine with that.  But this is also about Ireland, not New Jersey.  The Irish have a number of Catholic bullshits going on.

I don't really think of it as a religious thing.