Town where only Christians can buy houses

Started by GSOgymrat, February 09, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 07:37:26 AM
That's what laws are for.  And they should be applied.
"They can take our lives, but they can never taking our FREEDOMMMMMMM!!!!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 15, 2018, 07:40:46 AM
"They can take our lives, but they can never taking our FREEDOMMMMMMM!!!!"

It depends on what you mean by "freedom".  If it means keeping others out, no.  If it means requiring that "others" are allowed in, yes.  Social diversity, as in genetics, usually equals improvement.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 03:20:19 AM
But what legal rights do they have for religious exclusion?
Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 15, 2018, 05:25:06 AM
No more than anyone else, of course. Just pointing out that exclusionary groups will bunker down to avoid contact with the real world.
Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 07:37:26 AM
That's what laws are for.  And they should be applied.
When I visited my Mormon cousin in Utah, it was when that national flap was taking place over that Mormon offshoot group in Southern Utah.  Never mind that actual laws were being broken including child molestation and tax evasion.  The general opinion among the upright Mormon community was, "They should be left alone.  They aren't hurting anyone."  To them, the issue was over freedom of religion and the associated polygamy, and that's much of what the nation understood it to be.  Since then, books have been written by insiders who had escaped the compound.  Turns out, it wasn't just some harmless religion with an odd proclivity for kinky sex.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 15, 2018, 09:38:27 AM
When I visited my Mormon cousin in Utah, it was when that national flap was taking place over that Mormon offshoot group in Southern Utah.  Never mind that actual laws were being broken including child molestation and tax evasion.  The general opinion among the upright Mormon community was, "They should be left alone.  They aren't hurting anyone."  To them, the issue was over freedom of religion and the associated polygamy, and that's much of what the nation understood it to be.  Since then, books have been written by insiders who had escaped the compound.  Turns out, it wasn't just some harmless religion with an odd proclivity for kinky sex.

Such situations are never harmless.  When children are involved I think all other rights go away.  Rights are for adults.  Children must be protected.  I think it was Robert Heinlein who said that any society that does not put women and children "first" is doomed to fail. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 10:22:15 AMI think it was Robert Heinlein who said that any society that does not put women and children "first" is doomed to fail. 

Rather a cruel way to check for snipers, don't you think?
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 15, 2018, 10:45:56 AM
Rather a cruel way to check for snipers, don't you think?

Not quite what I meant by "first'.  Good one though...  I admire linguistic creativity.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2018, 02:56:32 AM
Not quite what I meant by "first'.  Good one though...  I admire linguistic creativity.

Put women and children first, in sniper situations ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2018, 06:32:27 AM
Put women and children first, in sniper situations ;-(

First to be protected...  Was that not obvious?

sdelsolray

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 12:08:11 PM
That's where lawyers earn their money.  Creating arguments among themselves for fun and profit... 

It seems unlikely that you can own a house but no property (access to the house requires land, etc), but association rules can say any damn thing they want until struck down by a court.  This could get very interesting.

The land is leased.  The house is owned.  Your disdain for the law and/or lawyers is not relevant.

Cavebear

Quote from: sdelsolray on February 19, 2018, 10:25:13 AM
The land is leased.  The house is owned.  Your disdain for the law and/or lawyers is not relevant.

That strikes me as an unusual situation.  How can you own a house on leased land?  What do you do if the lease ends?  Pick up the house and move it?  I would like to learn more about that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 18, 2018, 01:33:00 AM
That strikes me as an unusual situation.  How can you own a house on leased land?  What do you do if the lease ends?  Pick up the house and move it?  I would like to learn more about that.

Maybe he lives in a ... mobile home??
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 18, 2018, 05:54:09 AM
Maybe he lives in a ... mobile home??

That's not a "house", its a large trailer.  A tornado attraction.  An RV.  Think the "mobile" part.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear