Town where only Christians can buy houses

Started by GSOgymrat, February 09, 2018, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

It is probably illegal, but consider the benefits of them wallinh themselves away.  Most enclosed societies are committing socioicide.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 05:02:22 AM
...socioicide.
Ooo.  I like that word.  If that's your own neologism, it's a good one.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:11:49 AM
Ooo.  I like that word.  If that's your own neologism, it's a good one.

All mine, on the spot.  I kinna like it too.  I may rent it to George Will though.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 09:17:35 AM
All mine, on the spot.  I kinna like it too.  I may rent it to George Will though.
Only suggestion: 'sociocide' flows better than 'socioicide', at least to my ear and tongue.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:25:57 AM
Only suggestion: 'sociocide' flows better than 'socioicide', at least to my ear and tongue.

Good to me.  The second version of a GREAT IDEA is always a bit better than the first.  And who am I to criticize my GREAT IDEA!?

sdelsolray

I think the Methodist Church owns all the land in this community.  Whomever buys a house does not own the land, just the structure.  That fact may doom the lawsuit.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: sdelsolray on February 13, 2018, 10:39:11 AM
I think the Methodist Church owns all the land in this community.  Whomever buys a house does not own the land, just the structure.  That fact may doom the lawsuit.

That's where lawyers earn their money.  Creating arguments among themselves for fun and profit... 

It seems unlikely that you can own a house but no property (access to the house requires land, etc), but association rules can say any damn thing they want until struck down by a court.  This could get very interesting.

Gawdzilla Sama

Good thing this isn't anti-muslim or anything...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 13, 2018, 12:22:04 PM
Good thing this isn't anti-muslim or anything...

If this was a Muslim enclave in America that excluded ownership or transfer of property to Christians certain people would be outraged.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 13, 2018, 01:19:57 PM
If this was a Muslim enclave in America that excluded ownership or transfer of property to Christians certain people would be outraged.

I do suspect you might be on to something there...  And imagine what would happen if it was an atheist landlord enforcing such ungodly rules on the RIGHTEOUS!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 13, 2018, 01:19:57 PM
We have Mormon enclaves already. Technically "Christian" because what's-his-name wasn't stupid, but a revealed religion of dubious nature anyway.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 13, 2018, 02:04:26 PM
We have Mormon enclaves already. Technically "Christian" because what's-his-name wasn't stupid, but a revealed religion of dubious nature anyway.

But what legal rights do they have for religious exclusion?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2018, 03:20:19 AM
But what legal rights do they have for religious exclusion?
No more than anyone else, of course. Just pointing out that exclusionary groups will bunker down to avoid contact with the real world.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 15, 2018, 05:25:06 AM
No more than anyone else, of course. Just pointing out that exclusionary groups will bunker down to avoid contact with the real world.

That's what laws are for.  And they should be applied.