We should be using gamification in education!

Started by Coveny, February 03, 2018, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coveny

If you aren’t familiar with gamification it is where you turn learning into a game. This can anything from leveling up as you pass courses to the content being in the form of a game. You may have seen some of the children’s games where balloons fall that have math problems and when the child gets the math correct it pops the balloon. Gamifying learning can get much more complex though, and it has shown many superior qualities to regular learning systems.

Gamification help with motivation:
“Some of the best examples of gamification are exergames that encourage exercise by turning physical activity into a game.”
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0141076813480996

Fortune 500 companies use games to engage employees:
“The list is practically endless. Google, Microsoft, Cisco, Deloitte, Sun Microsystems, IBM, L’Oreal, Canon, Lexus, FedEx, UPS, Wells Fargo and countless others have embraced games to make workers more satisfied, better-trained and focused on their jobs, as well as to improve products and services.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danschawbel/2013/10/07/adam-penenberg-how-gamification-is-going-to-change-the-workplace/#535459032f3f

Gamification has proven its ability to motivate and engage and our education system in America really needs the help. When you look at USA ranking in comparison with the other developed countries of the world we continue to fall further and further behind:
“One of the biggest cross-national tests is the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), which every three years measures reading ability, math and science literacy and other key skills among 15-year-olds in dozens of developed and developing countries. The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.”
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/15/u-s-students-internationally-math-science/

From a very good article which gives several examples of gamification as well as some of the drawbacks and roadblocks gamification can meet:
“The combination of an increased focus on student engagement and the possibilities provided by digital learning make gamification a powerful tool for educators.” and “The principles of gamification have been fully embraced by a school in two cases, at Quest to Learn (Q2L) in New York City and CICS ChicagoQuest.”
https://www.worldgovernmentsummit.org/api/publications/document?id=2b0d6ac4-e97c-6578-b2f8-ff0000a7ddb6

If we want to reverse our negative trend of falling further and further behind on the global educational comparison charts we need a radical overhaul of our education system here in America. Digital is the obvious answer because not only does it low costs to update material and provide customized education it also increases motivation and engagement with the students. If America wants to take back the lead we need to start now.
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Hydra009

An old coworker friend of mine uses gamification to great effect in his workplace.

And I've been saying for years that high schools should have something very similar to Steam achievements for curriculum (which could also display what % of the class also has the achievement).  It would not only help keep students engaged, it would also help teachers/parents track their students' progress.

fencerider

young kids are so addicted to xbox and plasystation that it will soon be necessary to make the whole high school experience into a video game
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on February 08, 2018, 01:34:25 AM
young kids are so addicted to xbox and plasystation that it will soon be necessary to make the whole high school experience into a video game

I am waiting for a device that cancels all wi-fi in a specific area.  Like a classroom.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 09, 2018, 02:31:07 AM
I am waiting for a device that cancels all wi-fi in a specific area.  Like a classroom.

CIA won't share.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 06:59:21 AM
CIA won't share.

Every possible tech will eventually be commercial.  I have ONE GREAT IDEA that might be marketable.  Have to patent it first, before describing it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 02:47:07 AM
Every possible tech will eventually be commercial.  I have ONE GREAT IDEA that might be marketable.  Have to patent it first, before describing it.

Good luck.  And use a patent attorney, not a front company ... they will rip you off.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2018, 05:27:53 AM
Good luck.  And use a patent attorney, not a front company ... they will rip you off.

I surely will.  And it is something that almost everyone will happily use some day...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 12:24:19 PM
I surely will.  And it is something that almost everyone will happily use some day...

Bill Gates will patent clean air ... and charge us for it.  Patents are restraint of trade in favor of corporate insiders (not Edison, he was J P Morgan's bitch).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.