Diagnosing the thriving Swamp that's failing America

Started by GSOgymrat, February 03, 2018, 03:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Katherine Gehl, former CEO of Gehl Foods, and Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter reveal their ideas for fixing "the skewed incentives that keep our parties and our political competition from being about delivering good results." I like their ideas and believe as Americans we need to stop thinking in terms of parties and focus more on outcomes. The current incentives for politicians don't align with satisfying the majority of voters.

https://youtu.be/EJCcCGqY9-s

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 03, 2018, 03:17:27 PM
Katherine Gehl, former CEO of Gehl Foods, and Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter reveal their ideas for fixing "the skewed incentives that keep our parties and our political competition from being about delivering good results." I like their ideas and believe as Americans we need to stop thinking in terms of parties and focus more on outcomes. The current incentives for politicians don't align with satisfying the majority of voters.

https://youtu.be/EJCcCGqY9-s

Then she had better pressure her peers to end stop overwhelming the regular voters with corporate money than influences national and local elections in their favor.

I understand that, legally, money is free speech.  But I think that legal fiction has to stop.  One person, one vote should be the rule.  Not dollars per ads...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

We can't subsidize infinite expenditure to free TV ads ... so just ban political ads from TV.  But now ... with YouTube ... everyone can make videos for free.  Let it move politics there ... take it all off broadcast TV.  Also ban politics from newspapers ... let it all be on Twitter.  The reason why campaigns are so expensive is because of broadcast TV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:06:31 AM
We can't subsidize infinite expenditure to free TV ads ... so just ban political ads from TV.  But now ... with YouTube ... everyone can make videos for free.  Let it move politics there ... take it all off broadcast TV.  Also ban politics from newspapers ... let it all be on Twitter.  The reason why campaigns are so expensive is because of broadcast TV.

Indeed.  We may be entering a new age of merchantile Robber Barons and the rule of the oligarchy.  When some people suggest the antidote to Trump is Oprah, I feel sickened.  But rule by the richest may become the new norm.

I will probably be checking out just in time...

Baruch

Optimist ;-)  I may be right behind you, checking out.

We have been ruled by oligarchs since Cornelius Vanderbilt and the Rothschilds.  Thank England, we are going to be a monarchy again ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:17:16 AM
Optimist ;-)  I may be right behind you, checking out.

We have been ruled by oligarchs since Cornelius Vanderbilt and the Rothschilds.  Thank England, we are going to be a monarchy again ;-)

We had a long 20th century when Progressive ideas were ascendant.  It has faded now. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 07:19:57 AM
We had a long 20th century when Progressive ideas were ascendant.  It has faded now.

LaFollett was so 1924.  He only got 13 electoral college votes.  This only existed in Scandinavian settled upper Mid West.  FDR wasn't a progressive, he saved capitalism from itself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:21:59 AM
LaFollett was so 1924.  He only got 13 electoral college votes.  This only existed in Scandinavian settled upper Mid West.  FDR wasn't a progressive, he saved capitalism from itself.

Progressivism lives today, but it is hanging by a thread.  LaFollett was just a representative of it.  The movement had long-lasting effects but are being dismantled today.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 07:27:30 AM
Progressivism lives today, but it is hanging by a thread.  LaFollett was just a representative of it.  The movement had long-lasting effects but are being dismantled today.

There were a lot of conservatives, from 1900-2000, who wanted to piss on the graves of the liberals.  And they have.  The natural position of any society is status quo ... aka conservative.  Revolutionary France burned out after less than 12 years?  Our US electoral system is meant to be continuous revolution based on the common man ... but uncommon men do what they can to prevent that from happening.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:31:24 AM
There were a lot of conservatives, from 1900-2000, who wanted to piss on the graves of the liberals.  And they have.  The natural position of any society is status quo ... aka conservative.  Revolutionary France burned out after less than 12 years?  Our US electoral system is meant to be continuous revolution based on the common man ... but uncommon men do what they can to prevent that from happening.

We are not France.

We are not all conservatives.  Even George Will is starting to give up a bit on it (a la Trump).

I am not a liberal.  I am a progressive, and there is a difference.

Baruch

A rare bird of paradise, strutting his feathers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:42:11 AM
A rare bird of paradise, strutting his feathers ;-)

Couldn't think of any useful to say, huh?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 07:45:07 AM
Couldn't think of any useful to say, huh?

Well, a cave bear wearing a feather boa ... is funny to me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 12:37:12 PM
Well, a cave bear wearing a feather boa ... is funny to me ;-)

And it would be to me as well.  But that's not my style.  I'm more into wearing old-style military camo pants, a black shirt, and garden shoes.

So given that, what are YOU wearing RIGHT NOW?