News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gamestop in a nutshell

Started by GrinningYMIR, February 03, 2018, 12:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

There's a Gamestop about 40 miles from my house. I bought a used game there once, Far Cry III, but it had too many glitches right from the start and kept freezing up about 20 minutes into the game.  I assumed it was an incompatibility with some hardware in my computer, but I really don't know that. 

But Gamestop doesn't fit the economics of my game buying strategy.   I can buy an older but still brand new game at Amazon for 20 percent of the initial cost.  But that is not what I think keeps Gamestop going.  Just walking by and looking in the window, the place looks better than a little kid's candy store.  Walls and crowded isles of enough games to game yourself into an eternal Heavenly bliss.  I find that format inviting, but I don't go in.  I'm afraid of what I might do in there.

Deidre32

Ironically, I was shopping in a mall yesterday that had a Gamestop. I didn't go in, but it's weird, because quite a few of them have been closed by me. I have no idea how this place stays in business with online streaming, amazon, etc.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 08, 2018, 09:18:55 AM
Then I guess you need to ditch that mac and get a real computer.  :evil:

That's why I'm on a Mac.  Windows sucks,
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 08, 2018, 09:18:55 AM
Then I guess you need to ditch that mac and get a real computer.  :evil:

That's why I'm on a Mac.  Windows 10 sucks, you should try to find files on a Mac.  It is SO easy.  "Finder" is the best thing ever.  It just WORKS,  I didn't believe it until I tried it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 10, 2018, 03:30:14 AM
That's why I'm on a Mac.  Windows 10 sucks, you should try to find files on a Mac.  It is SO easy.  "Finder" is the best thing ever.  It just WORKS,  I didn't believe it until I tried it.

Not all the original Mac programming has been ruined by subsequent tinkering.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

When I want To use a hipster computer that barely plays Everquest I’ll buy a Mac. When I want To actually play a game I’ll use a console or a pc running windows.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on April 10, 2018, 08:05:06 AM
When I want To use a hipster computer that barely plays Everquest I’ll buy a Mac. When I want To actually play a game I’ll use a console or a pc running windows.

Consoles are usually superior hardware (and this is often ignored).  Win10 runs on 64 bit CPU ... but this was already achieved 19 years ago ...

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9909/09/dreamcast/

A Win10 PC, with advanced add ons, is good for game play I am told.  But if you play across the Internet, you also need a really good connection.  The Network Is The Computer (Sun Microsystems).  Good gaming across a network is a "hard problem".  Running Win Office 365, not so much.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on February 03, 2018, 12:13:35 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZBm7VXKYY Vid from a former gamestop employee as to why he quit.

I used To work there and the worst I ever Felt was when I was forced by my manager who was standing behind me to convince a kid, a little kid, maybe 8, to buy a membership card rather than the Pokémon game he was trying to buy with quarters and dollar bills. I felt sickened with myself. Didn’t give my two weeks. Just left one day. Fuck that place. Don’t shop there. Amazon.

Many people from gamestop do not play rpgs, fighting games and some think gaming is playing mario or call of duty.

Its like the library, people that work there know jack shit about fiction.