News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gamestop in a nutshell

Started by GrinningYMIR, February 03, 2018, 12:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZBm7VXKYY Vid from a former gamestop employee as to why he quit.

I used To work there and the worst I ever Felt was when I was forced by my manager who was standing behind me to convince a kid, a little kid, maybe 8, to buy a membership card rather than the Pokémon game he was trying to buy with quarters and dollar bills. I felt sickened with myself. Didn’t give my two weeks. Just left one day. Fuck that place. Don’t shop there. Amazon.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

I feel for you. though not as bad as the experiences I'd read up about Gamestop, I have just quit a company I worked for the last two and a half years, called The Range. Its a large superstore chain in the uk, owned by Chris Dawson, someone who probably read the handbook of how to business from donald trump.. that is if the guy could read. He underpays his workers, when we had the minimum wage rise here in the uk the greedy little shit protested against the government for it, but had to conform, so his solution to deal with having to pay his workers that tiny bit extra, was to ensure the stores hired less workers, they could only be given a quota, and thus push more work on the workforce that remained.

When working there, the number of times I had to console other workmates who dealt with the stress of working there, one workmate would now and again be in tears in the lunch room where I helped to comfort her. Managers did shit like keep the only exit doors locked after closing time on late shifts, meaning we couldn't get out at night on time and once or twice missed our buses. I'd been ordered by certain managers when on late shifts to single handedly pull pallets of compost, stone jars and gravel bags, from the front of the store to the warehouse on a pallet truck by myself, and nearly pulled the muscles in my arms and legs doing it.

The only things I took from that place were some of the people i worked with, they were great people, pushed to the limit, but I made friends there.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

I haven't bought anything at that clusterfuck of a store in years. The fact that they would sell used games that they bought for less than 10% at barely less than 90% of the price is something that is disgusting and needs to be snuffed out as soon as possible

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 03, 2018, 02:45:12 PM
I haven't bought anything at that clusterfuck of a store in years. The fact that they would sell used games that they bought for less than 10% at barely less than 90% of the price is something that is disgusting and needs to be snuffed out as soon as possible

We have something like that in the uk called CeX, does pretty much the same thing. Also here in the uk we have a jobsite called indeed, which I look to to review companys from people who worked there. You find out some real dirty truths about company from anonymous employees on it.

GrinningYMIR

Gamestop is a place that every gamer kid looks at and thinks would be a perfect job, but it’s th equivalency of the used car dealership of video games. Where you’re trying to find a way not to sell the good new stuff that you won’t make a profit on for the used stuff. Where you try to fuck over everyone who comes in, or they’re trying to duck you over. The managers NEVER have your back and consistently blame you for everything and you get burnt out more quickly than you can imagine. I wanted that job for years and working there made me realize just how shit a place it really was. I can Go on for hours about it, even had my manager bitch at me for helping a deaf mute customer.

Never ever shop there and actively encourage everyone to avoid it if you can. The place is dying but it isn’t dying fast enough for my tastes. And i used to be the biggest fan of the store ever. Never again. I’ll never step foot in that shithole again.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

Reality crushing what we imagine to be a perfect place. When I was a kid, I imagined working at a big company like marvel or konami or DC comics, imagining just working in an environment associated with the things I love would be a dream job.
I'm an adult now and the idea of those dream jobs are just not grounded. You read what happened in a company like konami, or the pressure of standards in big industry, and that scene from the incredibles where Bob's manager explains to him how he's ting cog in a large machine, that has more crippling real world reference then any kid would think of when watching it back then.

Been in to many jobs where the managers don't give a fuck about you, its only ever about meeting deadlines and quotas. Oh, and remember I said how my last job was run by a sleazy little shit? The store I worked for went through 4 district managers and 3 store managers in the 2 and a half years I worked there, they lost that many heads of staff, not forgetting more then half the staff that began there, so fact I held out as long as I did means I know I have some patients

Hijiri Byakuren

Depends on the store. I once worked with a former employee of my local Gamestop, and he had nothing but good things to say about it. He actually went back to work there part-time, and works a second job at a restaurant in the same parking lot.

EDIT: i no spel gud
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GrinningYMIR

While true, and I can confirm the GameStop back home was quite good and nice ,as a whole the company sickens me and the PUP and CoL shit does so even more. No one should be harassed when trying to buy something, much less a video game.

_Xenu_

Who needs GameStop when I have Steam and Humble Bumble?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Deidre32

Most of the Gamestops by me have gone out of business/closed.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Cavebear

Quote from: _Xenu_ on February 05, 2018, 05:46:04 AM
Who needs GameStop when I have Steam and Humble Bumble?

I HAD to use Steam to play a downloaded version of Civ5, but I am exploring Steam for other games now (well, their obvious purpose in the download arrangement). 

I like games that involve building with some non-real-time fighting (hence the Civ series).  Anything you could suggest at Steam?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GrinningYMIR

If I step foot into another gamestop it’ll be too soon

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2018, 01:14:41 AM
I HAD to use Steam to play a downloaded version of Civ5, but I am exploring Steam for other games now (well, their obvious purpose in the download arrangement). 

I like games that involve building with some non-real-time fighting (hence the Civ series).  Anything you could suggest at Steam?
Go to the steam homepage and then in their search box put in 'building'.  It will then show you dozens and dozens of building games.  Or search for 'civ' and it will show you all of the civ games it has and more like it further down the page.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 07, 2018, 09:50:19 AM
Go to the steam homepage and then in their search box put in 'building'.  It will then show you dozens and dozens of building games.  Or search for 'civ' and it will show you all of the civ games it has and more like it further down the page.

I'm on a mac.  Entering "building" showed no replies.  Entering Civ offerred only Civ6.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2018, 11:28:50 PM
I'm on a mac.  Entering "building" showed no replies.  Entering Civ offerred only Civ6.
Then I guess you need to ditch that mac and get a real computer.  :evil:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?