Slate: You don't need to filter your stream water

Started by Hydra009, February 01, 2018, 11:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 02, 2018, 07:04:13 AM
Ever tried atabrine tablets? Makes water all kinds of fuckin' tasty.

I camped "uplake" in Canada for 2 weeks.  Depended on that stuff for water.  On the other hand, I had leeches in my green tea more than once.

Boiling the water settled those out.  But the stuff tasted bad.  I was glad to return to real beer.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 11:50:56 AM
I camped "uplake" in Canada for 2 weeks.  Depended on that stuff for water.  On the other hand, I had leeches in my green tea more than once.

Boiling the water settled those out.  But the stuff tasted bad.  I was glad to return to real beer.
I spent 10 days with my dad in Canada's Quetico Canoe Area back in the late 60s.  We paddled way back in and had to rely on Lake water.  We didn't boil it except incidentally when we boiled water for cooking.  For a drink of water, we just scooped it out of a lake.  No one got sick, even though there were beavers swimming all over the god damned place.  That was 50 years ago, and we had the place to ourselves.  I'd probably filter it today.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2018, 12:11:17 PM
I spent 10 days with my dad in Canada's Quetico Canoe Area back in the late 60s.  We paddled way back in and had to rely on Lake water.  We didn't boil it except incidentally when we boiled water for cooking.  For a drink of water, we just scooped it out of a lake.  No one got sick, even though there were beavers swimming all over the god damned place.  That was 50 years ago, and we had the place to ourselves.  I'd probably filter it today.

Our bodies are pretty tough on microbes.  Mostly by other microbes...  My camping friend and I paddled 2 days up Lake Opeongo.  Turned out he wasn't much of a camper.  Or paddler.  3 days and he was a whining large twit.  Turned over the canoe once.  Paddling back, we were surprised by a squall.  If I hadn't been sensible about quartering the waves and getting to the leeward side of the lake, you wouldn't be reading this now.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:20:43 PM
My camping friend and I paddled 2 days up Lake Opeongo.
This seems to be a continuation of a previous discussion.  I vaguely remember you and I talking about canoeing in Canada.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2018, 08:42:52 AM
I agree.  You just don't know.  For what it's worth the clearest water I remember seeing in Montana flowed through the tailings of an abandoned gold mine on the edge of the wilderness area.  I was in my teens and in love with the "clean" streams of the west, but some old timer warned, "Jesus Christ!  Don't drink any of that.  It's loaded with toxic contamination."  So yeah, you never know what's in the water.

Artesian water from old aquifers ... best water I ever drank.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2018, 12:28:55 PM
This seems to be a continuation of a previous discussion.  I vaguely remember you and I talking about canoeing in Canada.

Ya get old, its hard to make new memories.  So you go with what you had.  It could be worse.  I could be the crotchety Uncle at the Thanksgiving table.  LOL!