Catholic Church Needs More Exorcists

Started by Unbeliever, January 29, 2018, 07:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Catholic Church Needs More Exorcists Due to Urgent Increase in Demonic Activity, Priest Warns

An Irish priest has put out an urgent call for backup to help with the growing demand for exorcisms in the country, according to reports.

“It’s only in recent years that the demand [for exorcisms] has risen exponentially,” Father Pat Collins said, adding that anyone who doesn’t see the need for more exorcists is “out of touch with reality.” Collins wrote an open letter to Irish bishops asking them to begin training more priests to deal with exorcisms, and he cited the International Association of Exorcists’ belief that demonic activity has increased substantially in recent years.

Each Catholic diocese in Ireland is required to have a trained exorcist who can identify whether a person is suffering from mental illness or has been possessed.

Collins has been speaking out about the activities of what he has called “the evil one” for years. He is widely considered Ireland’s most prominent exorcist, and he has also advocated for the church to take a more active role in demon hunting.

The number of Catholics in Europe is dropping as young people leave the church and become more secular.

“Adult millennials, defined by the Pew Research Center as people between the ages of 18 and 33, are leaving the Catholic Church rapidly. A 2013 study by the Barna Group, a Christian polling firm, revealed that 65 percent of Catholic-raised young adults say they are less religiously active today than they were at age 15,” a 2014 Pulitzer Center report revealed.

But exorcisms are still occasionally performed in majority-Catholic countries like Ireland and Italy. A 2016 documentary, Deliver Us, about modern-day exorcists, reveals how much the profession has changed over the years. For example, it shows a priest performing an exorcism via mobile phone. In the film, priests complain about being “bombarded by possessed people.”

It's hard to believe that "the demand [for exorcisms] has risen exponentially," so I'm assuming this fellow doesn't even know what the word "exponentially" means.

I wonder what the difference is between mental illness and demonic possession? And how do they actually tell the difference?

It's at least good news to hear that so many young people are "less religiously active." I really hope that trend continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYh07u0qydM

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2018, 07:25:33 PMIt's hard to believe that "the demand [for exorcisms] has risen exponentially," so I'm assuming this fellow doesn't even know what the word "exponentially" means.

I wonder what the difference is between mental illness and demonic possession? And how do they actually tell the difference?

It's at least good news to hear that so many young people are "less religiously active." I really hope that trend continues.
One thing religious people try to do when their particular creed is on the way out is to intensify stuff.  Just crank everything up to 11.

The Evangelicals are doing the same thing - Jesus isn't coming back soonish, he's coming back tomorrow!  There'll be jets falling out of the sky and burning cities and dogs and cats living together!  It'll be like The Stand, just 777% more jesusy.  It's a really sad, desperate attempt to stay relevant.

The exorcist angle is devious because it's the ol' "create a problem, offer a solution" technique - the Church should expand its ranks to meet the demand for exorcisms that only exists because the Church convinces scared people into believing in them in the first place.  How wonderfully self-serving.

And while I'm on the subject of exorcisms, they make it sound like the Church is some Van Helsing organization (I'm referring to the anime here) - spiritual warriors fighting secret demonic incursions or something.  Like some sort of spiritual X-COM.  It's so silly.  No, these are lunatics committing child abuse.  They're not warriors or heroes, they're cowards and frauds.

Unbeliever

I hope religion is in its last throes. But as they become more and more desperate, who knows what they'll resort to. Too bad there's not an exorcism ceremony we could use to get rid of them.
God Not Found

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 29, 2018, 09:03:31 PM
Oh Ireland...

Ireland has been under demonic possession of the English for over 800 years now.  So far the exorcisms aren't working.

It might be easier for the Irish to pray that the demons possessing the English, should leave those hosts.

I did enjoy the first Constantine movie (exorcist, not the Emperor).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2018, 07:25:33 PM
It's hard to believe that "the demand [for exorcisms] has risen exponentially,"
It comes and goes like the flu season.  Some years are worse than others, sometimes because there are more demons, and sometimes because there is a particularly evil bunch that are unleashed from Hell.  The church trains their exorcists to deal with a particular set of demons, usually the most common, but when a more powerful and unanticipated set of demons gets a foot hold, all Hell breaks loose and there is a pandemic. 

Mental wards become overcrowded, contaminated homes become uninhabitable by humans, and there is a profound increase in autism and hyperactivity.  When a large portion of a community starts seeing or hearing demons, others will soon see and hear them.  Some people can be possessed but don't realize it until it's too late.  They go to bed feeling fine, and when they wake up, the bed is shaking, and they are covered with festering boils and lesions.  Usual safeguards like a crucifix over the bed, that usual picture of Jesus in the living room are no longer enough when there are not enough exorcists to deal with a sudden and exponential increase in demonic activity. 

When people become desperate, they turn to all sorts of useless remedies.  Conmen start showing up posing as Ghost Busters or mediums claiming they can negotiate with the demons.  It's amazing what folly people will turn to when there are not enough exorcists to go around.  Some people are just ignorant and believe in quackery, which they unwittingly consider to be "alternate forms of demon confrontation."  This is not only useless, but can actually make the problem worse.  Exorcism is the only remedy that's proven to work and endorsed by the Church.  Smart people know this and avoid the tricksters. 

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2018, 07:25:33 PM
It's difficult.  People can spend years in psychotherapy when all they need is an exorcism.

Baruch

Like much that is psychosomatic ... an exorcism only works on you, if you already believe in it.  This is why "control the narrative" is so important to the Deep State.

And no, most people can't afford $100 per hour talk cures.  And over prescription of psychoactive medication, is part of the problem.  Which generation is the first one raised on medication for AD and ADHD?  The kids currently in college.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

perhaps this is the irish catholic churches reaction to gay marriage. Because given all the news on men marrying men or women marrying women, only demons would cause this to happen, yes, that's the best conclusion.

the best response on that article:

Quote"Ahh the Catholic Church. Full of child molesters and those who embrace serious mental illness as demonic."
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Popemobile has bullet-proof roof. Game over.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 30, 2018, 11:19:13 AM
Popemobile has bullet-proof roof. Game over.

thats for when god rains down bullets from the sky to kill all the heretics
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 30, 2018, 07:02:50 AM
Like much that is psychosomatic ... an exorcism only works on you, if you already believe in it.
Ah, I see, placebo exorcism...maybe it only works if the demons believe in it.

:vegetasmiley:
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 30, 2018, 01:31:30 PM
Ah, I see, placebo exorcism...maybe it only works if the demons believe in it.

:vegetasmiley:

The demons are in "your" head, not outside, not in someone else's head.  Subjective, not objective.  I would object to your beside manner, Dr Unbeliever ;-(  So the patient has power over these demons, since they are a product of their own psyche.  So no, the demons need not believe you.  That is typical dramatic story telling that people love so well.  In any realistic mode, Jesus' exorcisms were intuitive psychotherapy (aka Buddha did similar things).  The healings were psychosomatic cures.  But don't mock them, people actually suffer from physical psychosomatic problems (not all problems are physiological) or from psychological problems (not all psychological problems are neurological or chemical).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 30, 2018, 02:40:08 PM
The demons are in "your" head, not outside, not in someone else's head.  Subjective, not objective.  I would object to your beside manner, Dr Unbeliever ;-(  So the patient has power over these demons, since they are a product of their own psyche.  So no, the demons need not believe you.  That is typical dramatic story telling that people love so well.  In any realistic mode, Jesus' exorcisms were intuitive psychotherapy (aka Buddha did similar things).  The healings were psychosomatic cures.  But don't mock them, people actually suffer from physical psychosomatic problems (not all problems are physiological) or from psychological problems (not all psychological problems are neurological or chemical).

Exorcisms are like banishing unicorns from your yard.  It works if you assume there were unicorns to begin with.  You banish then and then there aren't any.  Voila!  It worked...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 04:06:44 AM
Exorcisms are like banishing unicorns from your yard.  It works if you assume there were unicorns to begin with.  You banish then and then there aren't any.  Voila!  It worked...

I presume you only used drugs, never the placebo effect.  That would explain some of your posts ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 01:08:18 PM
I presume you only used drugs, never the placebo effect.  That would explain some of your posts ;-))

I was actually tested with some placebos in college.  They didn't work on me. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!