Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thoughts About Relativity

Started by SGOS, January 27, 2018, 02:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:59:06 PM
Do YOU understand "pilot wave theory"?
I think it was Feynman who said, "If you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory."

Pilot wave theory (in the simplified outline way I grasp it) makes more sense to me than the Copenhagen Interpretation, mainly because it seems to provide a more cause/effect way of explaining activity on the quantum level.

Of course, that probably means I don't understand it.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 02, 2018, 02:19:07 PM
I think it was Feynman who said, "If you think you understand quantum theory, you don't understand quantum theory."

Pilot wave theory (in the simplified outline way I grasp it) makes more sense to me than the Copenhagen Interpretation, mainly because it seems to provide a more cause/effect way of explaining activity on the quantum level.

Of course, that probably means I don't understand it.  :D

I don't even understand GRAVITY!  Or its opposite, LEVITY (poor joke, sorry).  I hope Scientific American has an article on it soon.  Quite frankly, they help me understand some things...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 02:25:41 PM
I don't even understand GRAVITY!  Or its opposite, LEVITY (poor joke, sorry).  I hope Scientific American has an article on it soon.  Quite frankly, they help me understand some things...

Levity per Mary Poppins ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SllusoAuHvA

My physics teacher in HS said he always read all the articles in Scientific American each month, because it challenged him to try to understand many new things.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

That's one of my favorite scenes from that movie! I often watch it when I need a pick-me-up.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 07:32:42 PM
Levity per Mary Poppins ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SllusoAuHvA

My physics teacher in HS said he always read all the articles in Scientific American each month, because it challenged him to try to understand many new things.

Its seems to me that Scientific American was nearly all hard math when I was young.  Either they changed or I did.  I hope it was me.

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on February 07, 2018, 01:40:26 PM
Nope. They did. Sadly.

I thought so.  On the other hand, I get more understanding from them than I used to get. 

SGOS

Way back, it seemed like the Atlantic was caught between a professional journal and lay magazine.  I'm not sure how much demand for that would be in a general readership.  There is a lot to be said for magazines written to help the public stay in touch with new science, without laying out a lot of data.

In one of Stephen Hawking's books, he gave a special thanks to his editor in the introduction.  Hawking wanted the book to be for the public and said he was trying to follow the editor's advice who cautioned him that every time he used an equation, he would lose 1/4 of his reader's interest.

I don't think he lasted 4 pages before he felt compelled to write an equation.  It was a doozey too, with special symbols never before seen, along with the usual math function symbols or some abbreviations thereof.  And they kept showing up.  He was obsessed with equations, apparently unable to talk to normal people without them, and unable to heed the advice he most needed to hear to achieve his goal.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 09, 2018, 07:27:10 AM
Way back, it seemed like the Atlantic was caught between a professional journal and lay magazine.  I'm not sure how much demand for that would be in a general readership.  There is a lot to be said for magazines written to help the public stay in touch with new science, without laying out a lot of data.

In one of Stephen Hawking's books, he gave a special thanks to his editor in the introduction.  Hawking wanted the book to be for the public and said he was trying to follow the editor's advice who cautioned him that every time he used an equation, he would lose 1/4 of his reader's interest.

I don't think he lasted 4 pages before he felt compelled to write an equation.  It was a doozey too, with special symbols never before seen, along with the usual math function symbols or some abbreviations thereof.  And they kept showing up.  He was obsessed with equations, apparently unable to talk to normal people without them, and unable to heed the advice he most needed to hear to achieve his goal.

Well, I haven't argued any equations with Hawkings.