News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Greetings and Salutations!

Started by cabinetmaker, January 26, 2018, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinetmaker

It has been a long while since I was last here, so long that my original profile seems to have been purged.

I am a Christian man who believes that God created the universe a long long time ago using the physical laws we study today but has no doubt that God is real and that created it all.  I accept that what God said in the Bible is true and that He will hold us to that standard.  This means that I find homosexual relationships to be one of those things that will keep a person out of God's kingdom.  It also means that I do not for one second believe that homosexuals should be put to death.  Jesus asked us to love others as we love ourselves and was not about killing people over laws that He completed.

I draw a distinction between atheists and anti-theists.  In my mind, an atheist does not believe in God but does not get overly worked up about others who do believe.  They are open to discussion but generally respectful.  They are comfortable with their belief.  Anti-theists are those that feel a strong need/desire to evangelize their belief and actively seek to turn people away from their faith. 

I divide my free time between a wood shop and my horses.  I have to daughters in university and several "adopted" daughters that keep life fun.  I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and I am a senior engineer as if evidenced by the gray in my hair.  I volunteer at a youth organization that, "encourage self-respect, responsibility and leadership through horsemanship and family participation" and I'm going to starting as an instructor there.  volunteering to work with youth is always rewarding and allows me a chance to influence the future.

I am quite used to be insulted and belittled and otherwise mocked for holding the beliefs that I do.  It doesn't bother me at all so feel free to insult away.  I may grade you on your ability to be creatively insulting.  Some my wonder why it doesn't bother me.  It is simple, in order for you to insult me I must first value your opinion.  Give me reason to value your opinion of me.  For my part, I try never to be insulting.  We will disagree and it may get spirited at times but as I believe that each and every one of us is beloved by God, I strive to treat others with respect.

As to my last time on this forum and why I left, my time was brief and ended in a perma-ban.  Why?  Not sure.  As I recall, there was a discussion going on and I was not yielding to the arguments of the predominant membership of this forum.  The administration decided that I was not a good fit and poof, my time here was done.  I found the banning to be interesting given the tag line of this forum, "A community website for freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and believers."  At the time, its seemed that believers were not overly welcome.

So why am I here?  Why not?  The conversations promise to be interesting.  So, if you'll have me, good day to you.

About my Avatar:  That is my horse.  She is a spirited animal and tends to make people nervous so I doctored her eyes as a joke.  It kinda stuck and people love the picture.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Sal1981

Hi.

I can't say about your banning in particular in the past, as I don't know about it, only that I've never seen a banning as unfounded in the past, i.e. breaking the rules usually ends up getting you banned.

Baruch

There was a server crash in 2012?  Before I joined.  Your old profile may have been lost then, or you are confusing us with Atheistforums.org.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

cabinetmaker

Quote from: Baruch on January 26, 2018, 12:27:52 PM
There was a server crash in 2012?  Before I joined.  Your old profile may have been lost then, or you are confusing us with Atheistforums.org.
No, it was this forum.  I remember the logo.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Baruch

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 26, 2018, 12:29:09 PM
No, it was this forum.  I remember the logo.

I have been here 2.5 years.  I am a former aerospace electrical engineer ... currently a military medical IT support person.  So kudos on being "Mr Hardware".  I find computer systems more amenable.

Some people are labeled "socks" or "trolls" for whatever reason.  Only the Admins know for sure.  I am a Jewish-centered theist, though completely heterodox.  Conventional theist arguments don't last long here.  So don't bother.

I love animals, and cats allow me to live with them ;-)  Cavebear and I have made the majority of posts in the last year ... but high quantity, low quality as they say.  I would rather laugh than cry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hi cabinetmaker! I hope you can have as much fun here as I do, there's lots of fun to be had.

I'm one of those who doesn't bother to care what someone believes, I only care about what their belief causes them to do, either to or for other people. Many theists do a lot of good for others, but many only believe they're doing good while actually causing much harm.

Don't expect to convert me to your particular brand (or any other) of belief in
God - I'm totally immune to such blandishments, having given it much though over many years. I know why I don't believe, unlike some atheists who haven't really given it that much consideration.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

No, that's my horse!

https://youtu.be/wSYpsRJuWdA

You're used to being mocked for your beliefs, in a country that with an overwhelming Christian majority? Try being an atheist. People will be constantly telling YOU what you believe, and assuming that your lack of belief somehow makes you less trustworthy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 26, 2018, 06:15:24 PM
No, that's my horse!

https://youtu.be/wSYpsRJuWdA

You're used to being mocked for your beliefs, in a country that with an overwhelming Christian majority? Try being an atheist. People will be constantly telling YOU what you believe, and assuming that your lack of belief somehow makes you less trustworthy.

That is politics for you.  How many mocked my vote for Gary Johnson?  Religion is politics,  Atheism is politics.  And politics are knives in back alleyways.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Well Maker, I'm an atheist and an anti-theist and an anti Christian.  But you are welcome as far as I'm concerned.  Let's conversate.  :bigbye:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Hi. Again.

At least you're not a sock. I don't have a high opinion of socks at the moment.

(Braces for a barefoot joke from Baruch.)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

I am simply all a-twitter with excitement.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

_Xenu_

I don't really care what people believe in as long as they don't try to force it down others throats. Welcome.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Jason Harvestdancer

A lot of old inactive profiles were purged several years ago.  You might be a victim of that.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 26, 2018, 12:35:30 PM
I have been here 2.5 years.  I am a former aerospace electrical engineer ... currently a military medical IT support person.  So kudos on being "Mr Hardware".  I find computer systems more amenable.

Some people are labeled "socks" or "trolls" for whatever reason.  Only the Admins know for sure.  I am a Jewish-centered theist, though completely heterodox.  Conventional theist arguments don't last long here.  So don't bother.

I love animals, and cats allow me to live with them ;-)  Cavebear and I have made the majority of posts in the last year ... but high quantity, low quality as they say.  I would rather laugh than cry.

Best post I've seen from you in the past year!  Interesting to know you were Aerospace Engineer.  I think you have mentioned IT Medical support before. 

You like cats and that is good.  Cats are good judges of character (but not of rational thought).  That means the same about me as you though. 

Our discussions have been both serious and humorous.  I appreciate that, to a degree.  Humor is good, but not when to avoid serious thought, which you seem to prefer too often.

Be more serious, and I will like you better.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!