NPR- A Father, a Husband, an Immigrant: Detained and Facing Deportation

Started by Shiranu, January 25, 2018, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 27, 2018, 12:53:49 AM
I remember reading stories from families of immigrants during Obama's presidency, and being just as disappointed then as I am now. I think the main reason it's getting more attention now is because the president is making it a key issue now. Under Obama, it was something that went under the radar, unless you were related to or heavily involved with the immigrant population. But there were good articles back then as well... people just didn't view them as often.

Obama flew a lot of things under the radar, but they are coming to light now ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 10:00:27 AM
But, but ... Obama is the Messiah, got the Peace Prize before he did any warcrimes!

Democrats tend to be law-abiding, even as Presidents.  Reluctantly to be sure, sometimes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:09:14 AM
Democrats tend to be law-abiding, even as Presidents.  Reluctantly to be sure, sometimes.

LBJ ... you err massively.  Also FDR (he did it for good reasons).  LBJ for bad reasons.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 04:15:18 PM
LBJ ... you err massively.  Also FDR (he did it for good reasons).  LBJ for bad reasons.

LBJ decided not to seek re-election for rational reasons.  Nixon had to be kicked out screaming.  A slight difference between parties.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 01:43:51 PM
LBJ decided not to seek re-election for rational reasons.  Nixon had to be kicked out screaming.  A slight difference between parties.

Democrats 1965 to 1968 were massively evil (and covering themselves with faux civil rights).  Ask the Vietnamese.  Nixon was tricky ... dicky.  LBJ knew that if he couldn't beat Eugene McCarthy in NH ... there was no point.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 07:47:48 PM
Democrats 1965 to 1968 were massively evil (and covering themselves with faux civil rights).  Ask the Vietnamese.  Nixon was tricky ... dicky.  LBJ knew that if he couldn't beat Eugene McCarthy in NH ... there was no point.

Eisenhower got us into Vietnam (and everyone likes Ike) to help the French for their alliance in WWII (now THERE was a wasted idea).  Kennedy got pulled in and LBJ after him.  And so was Nixon.  Sounds rather Afghanistanish, doesn't it? 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 06:32:14 AM
Eisenhower got us into Vietnam (and everyone likes Ike) to help the French for their alliance in WWII (now THERE was a wasted idea).  Kennedy got pulled in and LBJ after him.  And so was Nixon.  Sounds rather Afghanistanish, doesn't it?

CIA never learns from its screw ups.  Truth be told, the OSS was a disaster during WW II.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 12:56:15 PM
CIA never learns from its screw ups.  Truth be told, the OSS was a disaster during WW II.

I'm not sure.  The intelligence operations of all kinds are total conspiracy-minded screw-ups.  Except when they find something real.  I suspect that if they get it right 10% of the time, it is probably worth it.