News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist, know thyself.

Started by pr126, January 21, 2018, 06:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Never get tired of propagandizing, do you?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pr126

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 21, 2018, 06:29:00 AM
This happens to be an atheist forum, where the participants are mainly atheist.
The post is about atheism.
Where do you see propaganda here? What is wrong with you?

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 21, 2018, 06:29:00 AM

Didn't watch the video did you? It was a talk about the concept of atheism, contrast with agnosticism and how the first is structures on not believing or following something as opposed to just about any other practice.
I know the go to response to PR is believing that he's posting a propaganda piece, but might wanna check what he's posted first before assuming that.

As for the video itself, does create some interesting debate. To me the idea of agnosticism is like a middle ground leading from belief to not believing in a religious practice, but one thats not really sustainable in the long run, anyone who's ever said their agnostic almost always goes back to religion or onto atheism.

what this guy seemed to be going for is his attempt to normalize the term atheism to the point that it doesn't need to be a label. Its an interesting idea and one I'd support, but i don't see it being realistic, since atheism is a minority today, and unless society were to become a society that long abandoned belief of all kinds as the majority, then I don't see the term atheism being just the norm in society anytime soon. And I'm fine with that, sooner feel like a bit of an outcast to peoples mass irrational beliefs right now, then being part of the herd.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on January 21, 2018, 08:10:15 AM
what this guy seemed to be going for is his attempt to normalize the term atheism to the point that it doesn't need to be a label. Its an interesting idea and one I'd support, but i don't see it being realistic, since atheism is a minority today, and unless society were to become a society that long abandoned belief of all kinds as the majority, then I don't see the term atheism being just the norm in society anytime soon. And I'm fine with that, sooner feel like a bit of an outcast to peoples mass irrational beliefs right now, then being part of the herd.
I like the notion.    I would like it if atheists owned up for the reason we would feel less alone.  We are definitely a minority.  How big or small, I don't know, because people don't all own up, and as per the title of the thread and in my case, I didn't even know what I was for much of my life.  I didn't take the time to consider that I was an atheist, because it has become a loaded term on par with Communist, Asshole, or Serial Axe Murderer.  Across the pond may be different.

Having said that, I've recently taken stock, and was surprised to realize that the vast majority of my atheists friends never identified themselves as atheist, nor did I even know about their lack of belief in gods for most of the time I knew them.  And who would blame them for not identifying?  Unlike me being unable to identify what I was, I suspect most of my atheist friends, simply don't want to announce it publicly.

Atheists are like gays 50 years ago.  There are consequences for identifying yourself, but atheists are much slower to take on the challenge of coming out of the closet in large numbers to demand a rightful place in society.  I don't know why.  I can't even think of a theory to explain why.  Because we are the most hated minority in society?  I dunno.  You can't get much more hated than gays 50 years ago.  But I have been told that we are the most hated minority, at least in numbers from poll questions, so yeah we are hated statistically, although probably with a less visceral response than gays.

Baruch

Traditional religious folk, think that heresy, irreligion, agnosticism and atheism leads to crop failure, weather or other natural disaster or livestock being barren.  I kid you not.  Given that false belief, it is unfortunately expected that ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvGnro4Cgw

Those crazy Village People ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkTV2--PcDI

No wonder Feminists are triggered ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Here in Europe atheism or secularism is almost the norm. Even religious people are mostly secular.
Christianity is mostly Christian by name only, the churches are almost empty.

The Pope is a Marxist politician rather a Catholic leader of the flock. He is advocating Islamic immigration to Europe, ignoring the persecution of Christians in the Middle East and Islamic dominated countries.

pr126

Some more "propaganda".

The book discussed in the video:

Fighting god by David Silverman

Synopsis:
QuoteFighting God is a firebrand manifesto from one of the most recognizable faces of atheism. In his book, Silverman-a walking, talking atheist billboard known for his appearances on Fox News-discusses the effectiveness, ethics and impact of the in-your-face-atheist who refuses to be silent.

Silverman argues that religion is more than just wrong: it is malevolent and does not deserve our respect. It is our duty to be outspoken and do what we can to bring religion down. Examining the mentality, methods and issues facing the firebrand atheist, Silverman presents an overwhelming argument for firebrand atheism and reveals:

- All religion is cafeteria religion and almost all agnostics are atheists.
- American society grants religion a privileged status, despite the intentions of the Founding Fathers.
- Christian politicians have adversely (and un-Constitutionally) affected our society with regard to science, health, women's rights, and gay rights.
- The notion of "atheist Jews" is a lie forced on us by religion.
- It is not "Islamophobia" to observe dangerous teachings and disproportionate violence in Islam.
- Atheists are slowly but surely winning the battle.

Fighting God is a provocative, unapologetic book that takes religion to task and will give inspiration to non-believers and serve as the ultimate answer to apologists.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on January 21, 2018, 08:10:15 AM
Didn't watch the video did you? It was a talk about the concept of atheism, contrast with agnosticism and how the first is structures on not believing or following something as opposed to just about any other practice.
I know the go to response to PR is believing that he's posting a propaganda piece, but might wanna check what he's posted first before assuming that.

As for the video itself, does create some interesting debate. To me the idea of agnosticism is like a middle ground leading from belief to not believing in a religious practice, but one thats not really sustainable in the long run, anyone who's ever said their agnostic almost always goes back to religion or onto atheism.

I know his agenda. If that wasn't propaganda he didn't understand it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 09:45:36 AM
Here in Europe atheism or secularism is almost the norm. Even religious people are mostly secular.
I haven't been in a church for 10 years, and the time before that was even 15 years earlier.  One, a Catholic Church was jam packed.  The last one being fundamentalist one off with no particular affiliation, had a small attendance sitting on two or three rows of folding chairs.  Religion is important here and small independent churches spring up because a group of "Christians" will cherry pick the tenets of Christianity they like and form a church.  This may have cut into some of the bigger denominations.

I think the most telling aspect of the importance here for me personally is the large group of coworkers I have worked with from fundamentalist religions that have beliefs that can be incredibly whacky, and vary from mildly evangelical to in your face belligerent; and vary from outwardly tolerant to extremely judgmental and vindictive, and they vote mostly Republican.  Their numbers are large, and in the work place, I feel surrounded and sometimes overwhelmed by them.  This is not a manufactured threat to atheism, IMO. 

Most liberals/(often identified as Democrats) are personally religious, but not fundamentalist to the same degree.  They are also more accepting to secular ideas.  There are always exceptions of course.

pr126

I think you'll find that the poorer people are the more religious they will be.

Better off people need less god in their lives.

pr126

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
QuoteI know his agenda. If that wasn't propaganda he didn't understand it.
And I know your agenda. Quite obvious.

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 10:34:39 AM

That may be, but certainly not a hard and fast correlation in the US.  Most of my life I have associated with the lower middle class.  For the purposes of this post, I will identify them as "religious".   I did have occasion to become associated with the dirt poor down and out segment of society for an extended period.  For the most part, fundamentalism and illogical notions dominated that group.  Whether that group was entirely representative of the dirt poor, I can't say.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 09:45:36 AM

The Pope is a Marxist politician rather a Catholic leader of the flock. He is advocating Islamic immigration to Europe, ignoring the persecution of Christians in the Middle East and Islamic dominated countries.

That is what Jefferson expected for the future of the US ... except freedom of religion led to more religion.  The thought was that religion was only being sustained by "establishment".  And perhaps in Europe being irreligious is one way to oppose the authorities, the kings, queens, popes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on January 21, 2018, 10:34:39 AM

They have the ever popular god, Satan ... aka power, money and fame.  This has been an issue for 5000 years now.  Thank god we have no gods but Pharaoh, eh Ramses?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.