Here's a picture from the book The Ghost Map:

"Death's Dispensary"
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 25, 2018, 01:19:02 PM
Here's a picture from the book The Ghost Map:

"Death's Dispensary"

But it took a concerned human doctor to figure this out, it wasn't random.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 25, 2018, 07:13:29 AM
Monosodium Glutamate isn't "natural".

It naturally occurs in the cooking of Chinese ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 25, 2018, 06:49:54 AM
That's a useless terse definition for "natural". Why even use that word, when it encompasses everything?

My point exactly.  There are 100 types of nihilist who post here.  One kind are nihilists of dictionary meaning.  Or they work for Big Brother.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 25, 2018, 07:05:23 PM
But it took a concerned human doctor to figure this out, it wasn't random.
Actually, it was a doctor and a clergyman, named Henry Whitehead.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 25, 2018, 07:10:48 PM
Actually, it was a doctor and a clergyman, named Henry Whitehead.

Here is the best version of this story ... and a cartoon as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY

19th century London was the first city, since ancient Rome, to reach 1 million inhabitants.  Of course the Romans understood sewage very early (the Cloaca Maxima) ... but people later were ignorant of even Roman technology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Baruch, I know that you got this natural = artificial strawman from me, but of course, it was the result of you missing the point as usual.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 25, 2018, 09:19:49 PM
Baruch, I know that you got this natural = artificial strawman from me, but of course, it was the result of you missing the point as usual.

So then, your posts are proof of the intelligence of random number generation? ;-)

As I pointed out in the shout box ... mere statistics have no explanatory power by themselves, they have to tied to a model that relates the variables (say a Markov model).  Similarly, overly general terms are useless as well, like most philosophical terminology.  It is less interesting that I have four limbs, than two of them are legs, and two of them are arms, with very specific capabilities.  Otherwise I would walk on my hands and clap with my feet ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on January 25, 2018, 11:19:37 PM
So then, your posts are proof of the intelligence of random number generation? ;-)
I sometimes find random number generation to make more sense than you some days. I don't know if that can be called intelligence, however.

As I pointed out in the shout box ... mere statistics have no explanatory power by themselves, they have to tied to a model that relates the variables (say a Markov model).
Well, whop-de-do for stating the obvious, Baruch. It is, after all, the specifics of the model that you are using statistics to evaluate.

Similarly, overly general terms are useless as well, like most philosophical terminology.  It is less interesting that I have four limbs, than two of them are legs, and two of them are arms, with very specific capabilities.  Otherwise I would walk on my hands and clap with my feet ;-)
Have you ever tried? I can indeed do at least half of that. Not easily, mind, but possible.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 26, 2018, 07:53:40 PM
I sometimes find random number generation to make more sense than you some days. I don't know if that can be called intelligence, however.

Well, whop-de-do for stating the obvious, Baruch. It is, after all, the specifics of the model that you are using statistics to evaluate.

Have you ever tried? I can indeed do at least half of that. Not easily, mind, but possible.

A true random number generator (do they exist?) is precious, because that is the true seed for good cryptography ;-)  All algorithms produce pseudo-random numbers.  The non-randomness is the trace of the workings of the algorithm.  They say ... that a natural process can produce a true random number.  This is used in practice (or is it just marketing?).  But if that were true, then Pythagoras is false, literally the world can't made of numbers (aka discrete inputs and outputs of algorithms).

Comparing a model, against empirical data ... yes, one can do that.  I think you mean, that the statistics of the empirical data, are used against the model, to see how closely the model replicates the phenomena (quantitatively).  But the proposed model, doesn't come from nowhere.  There has to be a human in the loop someplace, with the initial setup of the neural net or the initial setup of the Kalman (adaptive) model.  For those who are uneducated ...

http://cecas.clemson.edu/~ahoover/ece854/refs/Ramos-Intro-HMM.pdf

Perhaps had this been available, this could have been used in earlier epidemiology studies.  The Markov model would have looked like the infected neighborhood and the interactions between the people living there.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 24, 2018, 03:37:29 PM
A point in the processing of uranium the product is a yellowish, crumbly mass known as ...

Cake!  I don't like cake that way or with frosting.  Neither is very good for you.

Just an odd thought connected to the subject.  If there is a god, why did it create uranium? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 01:52:05 AM
Cake!  I don't like cake that way or with frosting.  Neither is very good for you.

Just an odd thought connected to the subject.  If there is a god, why did it create uranium?

That is a good question.  Some lost their faith in 1945, and not just because of HaShoah.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 10:06:08 AM
That is a good question.  Some lost their faith in 1945, and not just because of HaShoah.

I would think that my Aunt Sachiko fro Nagasaki might know the answer to that better.

But aside from that, I did have to look up "HaShoah".  If your personal goal is to educate me, you are doing a fine job of it.  Not that I am sure I will remember the phrase tomorrow, but you never know.  Give yourself one credit to a positive afterlife from an atheist...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:07:51 AM
I would think that my Aunt Sachiko fro Nagasaki might know the answer to that better.

But aside from that, I did have to look up "HaShoah".  If your personal goal is to educate me, you are doing a fine job of it.  Not that I am sure I will remember the phrase tomorrow, but you never know.  Give yourself one credit to a positive afterlife from an atheist...

Holocaust is anti-semitic.  Most Gentiles don't realize that.  Of course lots of other people were offed in WW II, particularly if you count from the Manchurian Incident in 1931.

I love Japanese people.  Definitely sad we had to meet with them that way.  Hirohito was lucky he wasn't killed by his own people, or executed by us.  It was necessary for General McArthur to pretend he was a figurehead.  This paid dividends in 1950.  Without Japan and their Toyoda trucks, we would have lost Korea immediately.

Japanese people lost faith too, but not from the nukes.  From the lowering of the status of the Emperor, and the fact that they lost.  I know this from one whole anecdote by a Japanese HS student from that time, so that makes me an expert ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 04:18:19 PM
Holocaust is anti-semitic.  Most Gentiles don't realize that.  Of course lots of other people were offed in WW II, particularly if you count from the Manchurian Incident in 1931.

I love Japanese people.  Definitely sad we had to meet with them that way.  Hirohito was lucky he wasn't killed by his own people, or executed by us.  It was necessary for General McArthur to pretend he was a figurehead.  This paid dividends in 1950.  Without Japan and their Toyoda trucks, we would have lost Korea immediately.

Japanese people lost faith too, but not from the nukes.  From the lowering of the status of the Emperor, and the fact that they lost.  I know this from one whole anecdote by a Japanese HS student from that time, so that makes me an expert ;-)

The Holocaust is surely a defining example of anti-semitism beyond most in history.  But we equally MUST not forget the others:

Jews    5.93 million
Ethnic Poles 2.7â€"3.2 million    
Ukrainian Slavs 3 million    
Soviet POWs 2â€"3 million    
Belarusian Slavs 1.5 million    
Serbs 300,000â€"500,000    
Disabled 270,000    
Romani 90,000â€"220,000    
Freemasons 80,000â€"200,000    
Slovenes 20,000â€"25,000    
Homosexuals 5,000â€"15,000    
Jehovah's Witnesses 2,500â€"5,000    
Spanish Republicans 7,000