Disgusted Scared Hopeful Proud Angry

Started by SGOS, January 19, 2018, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Based on a segment of this morning's latest poll showing the public reaction to Trump, I thought this might make a fun poll for the forum.  The overall poll can be studied here:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/poll-more-half-americans-strongly-disapprove-trump-n838926

But as a summary the poll also included these general voter reactions to Trump from most common to least.  Where do you fit? 

Disgusted
Scared
Hopeful
Proud
Angry

Personally, I could make a case for three of them, but one of them best describes me. 

Angry?  I'm too bored with his tweets, sex life, and general job behavior to be that angry.  I try not to think about him. 

Scared?  Maybe I should be, but for some reason I still have optimism that we will endure.  Not necessarily recover, but at least endure until I kick the bucket, so I don't spend a lot of energy on fear personally.  Not to say the youth have no reason to fear. 

Disgusted is where I fit, much like the rest of the fodder that were polled.  I can't do anything about government.  I just plod along as an observer, more or less disgusted by most of it, but mostly by Trump.

Here are the overall voter reactions by percent:

Disgusted 38%
Scared     24%
Hopeful    23%
Proud      12%
Angry      11%

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Unfortunately, projectile vomiting from the ears was not offered in the poll.  Perhaps it was just an oversight.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 19, 2018, 10:37:29 AM
Unfortunately, projectile vomiting from the ears was not offered in the poll.  Perhaps it was just an oversight.
First choice in all political polls. I thought you knew that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on January 19, 2018, 10:17:51 AMBut as a summary the poll also included these general voter reactions to Trump from most common to least.  Where do you fit? 

Disgusted
Scared
Hopeful
Proud
Angry
Disgusted, but also hopeful.

The attacks on affordable healthcare, butchering of environmental protections, and malicious neglect of various government agencies (the EPA and the State Department come readily to mind) may provide just the right impetus to provoke a counter-reaction to bolster these areas in the long term.

GSOgymrat

Disgust. My main problem with Trump is his repeated lies make it impossible for me to trust anything he says. He's not a person of integrity.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2018, 12:17:35 PM
Disgust. My main problem with Trump is his repeated lies make it impossible for me to trust anything he says. He's not a person of integrity.
"I am the least untrustworthy person you'll ever meet.  You know it they know it.  They know it.  Everyone knows it.  I heard from a guy and he said...uhh...he said, 'Trump, you're so smart and handsome and carism...chari...likable, how come the the failing New York Times keeps lieing about me, I mean you?' And I said, I said, 'You know, the press often sometimes gets things wrong but they sometimes often get things right but this time it was wrong.  Very wrong.  They get stuff wrong and when people find out they get stuff wrong, they say that they got stuff wrong.  I don't get stuff wrong.  They do.  I'm a quality guy.  Believe me."

Munch

Entertained. He's like watching an old warner brothers cartoon slapstick like daffy duck being shot by elmer fudd.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Scared to hopeful.  I don't over-react.  And the situation internal/external is overly militant/police state.  Hopeful because I believe that humanity will pull thru.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on January 19, 2018, 12:32:33 PM
Entertained. He's like watching an old warner brothers cartoon slapstick like daffy duck being shot by elmer fudd.
If his influence was limited to TV speeches, I'd be right there with you.

But it gets a lot less comical when we get into a nuclear pissing match with North Korea, intensify Middle Eastern military involvement, and so many environmental regulations get rescinded that it looks like Captain Pollution is now in charge of US environmental policy.

Unbeliever

Disgusted, mostly, but also scared for the future of the country.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

I have Some distance from it all, yet can't fully comprehend.
My gut reaction would be 'twilight zoned', like fascinated and horrified at watching a trainwreck.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 19, 2018, 01:21:07 PM
I have Some distance from it all, yet can't fully comprehend.
My gut reaction would be 'twilight zoned', like fascinated and horrified at watching a trainwreck.
That was my reaction a year ago, but I got desensitized to the absurdity of it after awhile.  Probably because it's real.

trdsf

Oh, I can come up with a whole list of adjectives, without even reaching for my Roget's, although 'disgusted' is a good start.

Appalled, revolted, embarrassed (on behalf of my country, not for anything I did myself), angry, frustrated... oh hey, and there's one I haven't felt since the mid-80s: genuinely concerned about a nuclear exchange -- hey there little guy, it's been ages!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan