News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Giant Apologetic Switcheroo

Started by Blackleaf, January 18, 2018, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 18, 2018, 05:31:19 PM
You could put out a bowl of booze, or maybe some fermented crabapples, get 'em drunk, and then just grab 'em and throw 'em in the pot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikH9ZRcF2Q

Well, peanut butter smeared on the lever in a small Have-A-Hart trap works well too.  I just find it easier to dunk and bury them next to a tree as fertilizer than bothering to skin and gut them.  I don't need them as food.  But if I did, I sure could catch a lot, and when I was younger, I sure did that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cheerful Charlie

I tried regular tomatoes, but the sparrows pecked at them and ruined them.  Netting et al could help but the cost was such it was far cheaper to just buy the #$#!! tomatoes and be doe with it.  My gardening efforts were pretty much a bust.  Squash borers destroy my squash.  Various viruses destroyed the cucumbers.  Cabbages, bok choi et all were destroyed by moth larva, and other pests.  If I had to rely on gardening for food, I'd starve to death.  What was good to eat soon got et by raccoons and possums.  Squirrels soon learned to dig up my sweet potatoes.
The only thing I can successfully grow seems to be broccoli.  I found out the hard way that there is nothing squirrels love so much as sweet potatoes.  Last go around, I would plant my slips, little starter plants for starting sweet potatoes and the $##$$!! squirrels within an hour would uproot them.  Replant, and then uprooted. Until they were dead.

Cheerful  Charlie

SGOS

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on March 24, 2018, 02:56:18 AM
I tried regular tomatoes, but the sparrows pecked at them and ruined them.  Netting et al could help but the cost was such it was far cheaper to just buy the #$#!! tomatoes and be doe with it.
I have horrible soil, and I don't like gardening anyway, although I do like the idea of it and like watching things grow, so I bought giant flower pots, top soil, and compost from Lowes, built wire cages and a drip irrigation system, and I grew decent tomatoes.  Two plants will give me more tomatoes than I need, so I'm eating bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches every day, and sometimes for supper.

It's true that homegrown is better than store bought, and those things they sell in the produce section during the winter months shouldn't even be called tomatoes, but in the summer, the homegrown/store bought difference is almost a wash.  Besides that, there is a roadside stand 4 miles from my house that sells garden tomatoes, so last summer I decided not to bother growing them.  With all the potted gardening monkey business, I don't think it cost me anymore to buy them, and I didn't have to fuss at all.  I may grow tomatoes this summer.  I haven't decided, but I can't justify growing my own on economics because that is of no importance to me, and I can't say my tomatoes are better (well maybe a little better), but it's too close to a wash to use as an excuse.  To me, the only reason to grow your own is because you like doing it.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on March 24, 2018, 02:56:18 AM
I tried regular tomatoes, but the sparrows pecked at them and ruined them.  Netting et al could help but the cost was such it was far cheaper to just buy the #$#!! tomatoes and be doe with it.  My gardening efforts were pretty much a bust.  Squash borers destroy my squash.  Various viruses destroyed the cucumbers.  Cabbages, bok choi et all were destroyed by moth larva, and other pests.  If I had to rely on gardening for food, I'd starve to death.  What was good to eat soon got et by raccoons and possums.  Squirrels soon learned to dig up my sweet potatoes.
The only thing I can successfully grow seems to be broccoli.  I found out the hard way that there is nothing squirrels love so much as sweet potatoes.  Last go around, I would plant my slips, little starter plants for starting sweet potatoes and the $##$$!! squirrels within an hour would uproot them.  Replant, and then uprooted. Until they were dead.

I have to wonder how people used to survive on farm grown goods. So many animals just love to profit off of human hard work.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 24, 2018, 07:36:24 PM
I have to wonder how people used to survive on farm grown goods. So many animals just love to profit off of human hard work.

I have known one woman, younger than me, who grew up eating squirrel.  I have never eaten one.  These people live in the hills, and don't have running water, and use an out-house to potty with.  Hunting and fishing are natural ... and necessary to avoid starvation because of destruction of crops and sickness of livestock.  And in their Sunday services they might even handle rattlesnakes.  Don't despise the folks who will outlive anything that will kill lesser people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Since I rent an apartment, my gardening is limited to what flowerpots I can fit on my windowsills.  Right now I have two basil plants and three garlic going -- the third garlic was something of a surprise because I thought it had died... and now it's a week later and it's sprouting again.

I am going to have some *amazing* home-made pesto later this year.

Also, garlic greens are fantastically delicious and should be more available than they are.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 24, 2018, 05:20:26 AM
I have horrible soil, and I don't like gardening anyway, although I do like the idea of it and like watching things grow, so I bought giant flower pots, top soil, and compost from Lowes, built wire cages and a drip irrigation system, and I grew decent tomatoes.  Two plants will give me more tomatoes than I need, so I'm eating bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches every day, and sometimes for supper.

It's true that homegrown is better than store bought, and those things they sell in the produce section during the winter months shouldn't even be called tomatoes, but in the summer, the homegrown/store bought difference is almost a wash.  Besides that, there is a roadside stand 4 miles from my house that sells garden tomatoes, so last summer I decided not to bother growing them.  With all the potted gardening monkey business, I don't think it cost me anymore to buy them, and I didn't have to fuss at all.  I may grow tomatoes this summer.  I haven't decided, but I can't justify growing my own on economics because that is of no importance to me, and I can't say my tomatoes are better (well maybe a little better), but it's too close to a wash to use as an excuse.  To me, the only reason to grow your own is because you like doing it.

You need to build raised frame beds to grow in.  You completely control the soil that way.  And after the initial effort, it isn't hard to maintain.  Farm stands don't grow the good crops; they grow the commercial ones.  And those aren't worth eating because THEY chill th harvested tomatoes just like the grocery stores and that destroys the parts of the tomatoes that give all the flavor.  Try a homegrown Cherokee Purple or Brandywine and you will be shocked at the difference. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!