News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Giant Apologetic Switcheroo

Started by Blackleaf, January 18, 2018, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on February 07, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
There is the question, "Why is there something rather than nothing?".  Their answer is God.  But the why is there a God rather than no God?  The fact is there is something rather than nothing.  We are just debating what that something is.  And why we should think that something was God.
My preferred answer to that is, "Because if there were nothing, you wouldn't be here to ask that question." :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 08, 2018, 01:53:25 PM
According to Lawrence Krauss "nothing is unstable," since there is exactly only one way for there to be nothing, but an infinite number of ways for there to be something. So something is overwhelmingly more likely to exist than for nothing to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5A2OVYJkFk

There is something rather than nothing, because otherwise we wouldn't be here discussing anything.  Not that I'm saying that is a CAUSE, but if there is Nothing, then no one is around to discuss that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

That is why the question of "all or nothing" is nonsense.  Logical Positivism is partially correct, in that some metaphysical questions are nonsense.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Why can I not like posts here?

Post #47, above is simple and honest and deserving of a thumbs up or a like or a thank or something, but I can do not of those things.

What is the avatar name for a mod that I can discuss such with?

Good post cavebear.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 09, 2018, 06:51:45 AM

Post #47, above is simple and honest and deserving of a thumbs up or a like or a thank or something, but I can do not of those things.

Good post cavebear.

Your Javascript is turned off.  I have a direct flag I can twiddle.  I have to use it on some websites because of ads.  You may have a direct twiddle, or have some kind of equivalent ad blocker.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 06:54:25 AM
Your Javascript is turned off.  I have a direct flag I can twiddle.  I have to use it on some websites because of ads.  You may have a direct twiddle, or have some kind of equivalent ad blocker.
I still get ads on this app, and can like posts on other forums through this app.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 09, 2018, 06:55:54 AM
I still get ads on this app, and can like posts on other forums through this app.

Do your apps or op get pushed updates from a mother-ship?  We have that at work, things break all the time.  I am in IT ... I can suggest ...

1. Reboot ap
2. Reboot device

Hard to imagine how many computer users don't do that first.  Most do, but not all.

Of course it could be that they patched this website, or the hosting platform.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:04:16 AM
Do your apps or op get pushed updates from a mother-ship?  We have that at work, things break all the time.  I am in IT ... I can suggest ...

1. Reboot ap
2. Reboot device

Hard to imagine how many computer users don't do that first.  Most do, but not all.

Of course it could be that they patched this website, or the hosting platform.
I get updates from the main app relating to all forums I take interest in.

The app is updated and my phone is reset every few days generally.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Technology has come a long way since my intro to programming in turbo pascal

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 09, 2018, 07:09:24 AM
I get updates from the main app relating to all forums I take interest in.

The app is updated and my phone is reset every few days generally.

Please excuse my ignorance.

Technology has come a long way since my intro to programming in turbo pascal

Turbo Pascal ... now there is a real man's language ;-)

Unfortunately, not all updates play well together.  Sometimes a browser has a (backward) compatibility mode.  IE does.  Try that, to try to null out patch chaos.  Argh!  Worst case, a broken patch broke your system ;-(  Double Argh!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on February 09, 2018, 06:51:45 AM

Good post cavebear.

You might want to check for browser updates, security updates, and if you have strong security, it might be blocking some options...

Cheerful Charlie

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:48:35 PM
Green tomatoes are still poisonous.  You can't eat them raw.  Only the big green worms eat the leaves!

I tried growing cherry tomatoes for a few years.  Until the squirrels discovered them.  Squirrels will eat tomatoes.  And if they couldn't find ripe ones, the little furry bastards ate them while still green.  From that point on I never saw a ripe cherry tomato ever again.
Cheerful  Charlie

Cavebear

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on March 17, 2018, 12:31:04 AM
I tried growing cherry tomatoes for a few years.  Until the squirrels discovered them.  Squirrels will eat tomatoes.  And if they couldn't find ripe ones, the little furry bastards ate them while still green.  From that point on I never saw a ripe cherry tomato ever again.

I had the same problem.  I built a garden enclosure 20'x20'x8'h covered with chicken wire.  And if you don't want to do THAT, get a small Have-A-Hart live trap, bait it with peanut butter and dump the cage in a tub of water when you catch one.

You will never get rid of all the squirrels, but it takes them a while to discover tomatoes can be eaten, so you can stay ahead of them about that.

fencerider

them fellers on Duck Dynasty say that squirrels is good eatin.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on March 18, 2018, 02:03:53 AM
them fellers on Duck Dynasty say that squirrels is good eatin.

And you certainly can.  But after years of chewing cautiously around bits of squirrels and doves to avoid breaking my teeth on #9 shot I lost my taste for small game.  I will admit that a drowned squirrel would be a lot easier to deal with.

Unbeliever

You could put out a bowl of booze, or maybe some fermented crabapples, get 'em drunk, and then just grab 'em and throw 'em in the pot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikH9ZRcF2Q

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman