News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Giant Apologetic Switcheroo

Started by Blackleaf, January 18, 2018, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 06:25:06 PM
In Texas when I was a kid we used to eat fried green tomatoes. They were pretty good, as I recall.

The cooking destroys the toxin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Lucky for us green-tomato eaters, huh?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 06:27:05 PM
Lucky for us green-tomato eaters, huh?

My mother cooked them too, with a little flour/oil crust.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

O.P. so true. Whenever science is in conflict with their religion, they would prefer to dismiss the science as false instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with their religion. Unfortunately for so many their religion takes presidence over everything. When an incompetent person like Trump is in office they see what’s going on and say “He’s only a politician. It’s not like he is somebody important like our pastor”. Crazy people in D.C. could completely destroy the U.S., but as long as the D.C.ers take out a couple of homosexuals on the way, they are OK with it.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on February 04, 2018, 03:09:32 AM
O.P. so true. Whenever science is in conflict with their religion, they would prefer to dismiss the science as false instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with their religion. Unfortunately for so many their religion takes presidence over everything. When an incompetent person like Trump is in office they see what’s going on and say “He’s only a politician. It’s not like he is somebody important like our pastor”. Crazy people in D.C. could completely destroy the U.S., but as long as the D.C.ers take out a couple of homosexuals on the way, they are OK with it.

Good thing Hillary is still working away in her Fortress of Solitude ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 06:20:48 PM
An American doctor in colonial times.  But he was eating red tomatoes.  And they used to be called "love apples" because they were rumored to be used by suicidal lovers.

Ah, the poms de amour.  Yeah, I know I butchered that...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 05:34:43 AM
Ah, the poms de amour.  Yeah, I know I butchered that...
I think you pronounced it quite correctly. I didn't know you could speak French so well!
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 04:46:16 AM
I tried putting a small amount on the top and passed the bowl.  Evidently, that was correct.  Or they followed my lead.  Who knows?  I asked her later about it and she was surprised.  They ate pasta with only a little thin sauce on top.
I'm big on the sauce.  I have done it the thin way, and it was OK, but kind of missing a little.  I'm all for pouring it on the way you like it best.  To me, spaghetti is about the sauce.  What can you say about pasta, unless you actually make your own.   If you like near straight pasta, I'm not going to fault that.  Some people do.

Also, of all the things I have cooked for guests, my spaghetti sauce is the one most frequently requested.  Everything else usually passes with the ordinary polite comments one would expect as a host.  I make it big and chunky.  I cut but never dice ingredients.  A woman served it that way to my wife and I once, and I have forever tried to follow her lead, always wondering how I'm doing.  But it's the kind of thing little kids won't like.  To many junks of strange things like mushrooms and olives, things that must be questioned before they are tasted and spit out.

Cheerful Charlie

There is the question, "Why is there something rather than nothing?".  Their answer is God.  But the why is there a God rather than no God?  The fact is there is something rather than nothing.  We are just debating what that something is.  And why we should think that something was God.
Cheerful  Charlie

SGOS

Quote from: Cheerful Charlie on February 07, 2018, 05:46:03 PM
There is the question, "Why is there something rather than nothing?".  Their answer is God.  But the why is there a God rather than no God?  The fact is there is something rather than nothing.  We are just debating what that something is.  And why we should think that something was God.
I personally think there was something before, or maybe what we conceive of as nothing is not that at all.  But what I "think" doesn't matter one iota, because no one knows and the only thing left to do after that is sit around in armchairs talking philosophically, while blowing smoke up our own asses and sounding all lofty to the bystanders who are just there trying to buy a sandwich.

Baruch

Cause/effect is primitive thinking.  Study David Hume.  Besides that, the Big Bang simply doesn't matter, unless you watch it on TV ;-)  What has happened in less than the past 100 years, is pretty much all that impacts my life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 07, 2018, 06:20:22 PM
I personally think there was something before, or maybe what we conceive of as nothing is not that at all.  But what I "think" doesn't matter one iota, because no one knows and the only thing left to do after that is sit around in armchairs talking philosophically, while blowing smoke up our own asses and sounding all lofty to the bystanders who are just there trying to buy a sandwich.

They do it better in London than here ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpcAhwrL368
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The bystanders are pretty much like the ones I've seen here.  Who cares what the debate is about?  "Hey everyone, we got some live ones over here."  Everyone just seems to be happy that there is a fuss going on.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 07, 2018, 09:10:17 PM
The bystanders are pretty much like the ones I've seen here.  Who cares what the debate is about?  "Hey everyone, we got some live ones over here."  Everyone just seems to be happy that there is a fuss going on.

We can't tell here, in text, what awesome accents our British friends have ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

According to Lawrence Krauss "nothing is unstable," since there is exactly only one way for there to be nothing, but an infinite number of ways for there to be something. So something is overwhelmingly more likely to exist than for nothing to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5A2OVYJkFk

God Not Found