News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jordan Peterson on Channel 4 News

Started by Sal1981, January 18, 2018, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 14, 2018, 08:09:13 PM
I was never in any closets. But what makes you think I ever supported Marx or Camus? I do support Groucho, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHjJnFqs-s

Well then, you never met a cigar you didn't like?  Or a club you didn't dislike?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 14, 2018, 08:52:31 PM
I'm INTJ (since we're talking Jung), so I appreciate calculated. :-) I wish more people would consider their words before they speak, including our fearless leader.

I like spontaneity, though don't do this at work if you are smart.  I will not run if nominated, will not serve if elected.  Being President has to be one of the worst jobs on the planet.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm INTJ (since we're talking Jung), so I appreciate calculated. :-) I wish more people would consider their words before they speak, including our fearless leader.

I'm an ISTJ.  Not that different, but with some subtleties.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I wish more people would consider their words before they speak, including our fearless leader.

I think maybe our Fearless Leader learned his communication skills from Baruch.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 02:15:34 PM
I think maybe our Fearless Leader learned his communication skills from Baruch.

Y'all are fortunate I don't lead a country, nor want to.  There would be a Department of Sadism and a Department of Masochism, and everyone would be invited to directly experience "50 Shades Of Government Overreach".

I think I am much more direct than the Tweet-Meister.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 10, 2018, 07:58:18 PM
Yeah, I sure feel lucky. ;-)

Well then, get down to Las Vegas or Atlantic City, gamble a bit, and send me part of your winnings! ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Sal1981

https://reason.com/archives/2018/05/05/jordan-peterson-is-not-the-sec

A recent article on Jordan Peterson that paints him as maybe getting his head too far into the clouds and a scathing review of his latest book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos.

Baruch

All messiahs are false messiahs.  Including Peterson, including Marx.  Leftists panties are in a wad, because they are loosing Millennials, who are growing up.  Things are hard enough for Millennials, without being destroyed from within by Feminism and Marxism.  The young people I work with aren't stupid.

So yes, Peterson is simply old school, something the Baby Boomers forgot when they rebelled against their parents (1960s-1970s).  He is not saying anything different than my grandparents.  It is normal for grandchildren to rediscover the values of their grandparents.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch.
So yes, Peterson is simply old school, something the Baby Boomers forgot when they rebelled against their parents (1960s-1970s).  He is not saying anything different than my grandparents.  It is normal for grandchildren to rediscover the values of their grandparents.

I had the same thought. Many of Peterson's rules would fit into the old character building and moral education books.

Baruch

Some people would say, the Baby Boomers did such a bad job, they should be retroactively liquidated ;-(  i would say, if our parents had raised us right ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 08, 2018, 06:43:27 AM
https://reason.com/archives/2018/05/05/jordan-peterson-is-not-the-sec

A recent article on Jordan Peterson that paints him as maybe getting his head too far into the clouds and a scathing review of his latest book 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos.

"Peterson's popularity has demonstrated the happy fact that you can reach illiberal ears with a message that contains some classical liberal content. But he has gotten there not via persuasive argument about intellectual ideas-"

No, that is exactly how he got there.

"-but through the top-down, teacher-student, authoritarian exhortations of self-help."

Amazing. This person just defined the act of urging people to help themselves as authoritarian.

"If you heard of Peterson before 2018, it was probably due to his September 2016 battle against fancy new gender pronouns. In a three-part video series titled Professor Against Political Correctness, Peterson objected to a proposed amendment to Canada's Human Rights Act (since passed) making it a criminal offense to incite or promote hatred based on a target's gender identity or expression. His slippery-slope argument was that such a law, in Canada's First Amendmentâ€"free legal system, could eventually lead to "compelled speech" over silly-sounding jargon like "zhe" or "zher.""

Jordan did not make a slippery slope argument that this specific amendment will lead to to compelled speech - Rather Jordan is ACCURATELY describing the amendment as one that compels speech. It's literally in the guidelines for the bill that refusal to use someone's preferred pronouns may constitute harassment. The OHRC's (the body that would rule of C-16 cases) "Policy on Preventing Discrimination based on Gender Identity and Gender Expression" states that "gender based harassment can involve" among others listed, "Refusing to refer to a person by their self-identified name and proper personal pronoun ". This is the policy by which the bill will be enforced. The actual people presiding over your C-16 infringement are these people.

"This is the version of Petersonâ€"strident, logic-leaping, reductionist"

He didn't leap any logic. He accurately described reality.

"The most scathing critiques of Peterson usually zero in on his fan base of alienated young men. "Is Jordan Peterson the stupid man's smart person?" asked a headline in Maclean's. Author Tabatha Southey got right to it: "To be clear, Jordan Peterson is not a neo-Nazi, but there's a reason he's as popular as he is on the alt-right." TV critiques of his work luxuriate in the clumsy conspiracymongering at his audience Q&As."

Not this shit again. I fucking hate this new tactic from leftist retards; when they cannot validly criticise a person who unapologetically speaks truths which are antithetical to their narrative, they fallaciously attribute the character of their followers unto them. No, fuck that. Engage his arguments or shut the fuck up. No more fallacious tactical rhetoric. A persons character is not the sum total of everyone who admires them - and btw even if they were, defaming a persons character doesn't rebut their arguments.

Not even going to read any more. Just another idiot leftist author triggered that greater people than themselves are easily dismantling their ideology and gaining numbers while doing it.

Baruch

Yes, pot calling kettle black ... watch any Leftist professor teach ... disgusting.

"are antithetical to their narrative" ... the agents of the Soviet Union (in the 60s and now) accuse their opponents of being ... agents of the Soviet Union.

Shut down the universities.  Let the college educated in China and India take over, America and Europe are done.

The straight forward moralizing of the 1950s is exactly what the SDS hated most.  They wanted to live like DeSade and politic like Lenin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm not ready to be blamed for not knowing which pronoun to use with a person who thinks of themself as one gender and looks like another.  If someone looks male, I will say "he".  If someone looks female, I will say "she.  If I am advised privately and without a scene that another pronoun should be used, I will "consider" it.  But if someone makes a public scene about it, mostly to make a point, I am likely to get deliberately and annoying stubborn. 

If you think of yourself as one gender and look another, you better wear a label on your shirt/blouse.  And don't get obnoxiously offended if *I* don't immediately know what is going on in your mind.  I don't read minds...