News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Jordan Peterson on Channel 4 News

Started by Sal1981, January 18, 2018, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 20, 2018, 01:48:11 AM
True. I don't deny that there's a subset of the Left that is more harmful than good, but perhaps there's a more accurate word that could be used to describe them. It's kind of like the word "homophobia" to me. Like, I don't see right wingers jumping up on chairs and screaming like little girls at the sight of a gay man. The word just doesn't make sense to me.

Homobigotry? Just doesn't sound as good. You could just say bigot and it would be generally accurate because people who are bigoted about the LGBT+ community are generally bigoted about other minority groups as well, but it would be a bit of an assumption.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

I don't think there's a problem.

It's a subdivision. Like Metal and its subdivision.

You have metal, then under that the subdivisions of  grunge, black metal, thrash metal, hair metal, death metal, heavy metal, etc etc etc. If I refer to hair metal, that is a very specific type of music, moreso than metal, its self.

Same with regressive left. In all honesty, I think they should call the extreme right the regressive right as well. If you turn to hard in any direction, you end up going backwards, so it fits. Not just because of my metaphor in the last sentence, because they are both counter productive to progress.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on January 20, 2018, 02:24:37 AM
Homobigotry? Just doesn't sound as good. You could just say bigot and it would be generally accurate because people who are bigoted about the LGBT+ community are generally bigoted about other minority groups as well, but it would be a bit of an assumption.
And as hard as it may seem, there are people that are GENUINELY afraid of gay people. Like seriously... they think that them being gay is causing plagues on the earth and extreme natural disasters (acts of god). Call it hate if you want, but at the core of it, it's fear, instilled by their religion that they were brought up to believe. My heart goes out to them, in all honesty

Munch

Now, as you understand there is an extremist brand of the left, and obviously we know the extremist brands of the right, can we all agree the nature of the human condition can lead to extremism whatever political, religious or nationalistic belief you adhere to. That is the nature of humanity, some are extreme and do take things to far, where what they believe is all that matters and rationality and balance doesn't mean shit. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 20, 2018, 07:22:46 AM
Now, as you understand there is an extremist brand of the left, and obviously we know the extremist brands of the right, can we all agree the nature of the human condition can lead to extremism whatever political, religious or nationalistic belief you adhere to. That is the nature of humanity, some are extreme and do take things to far, where what they believe is all that matters and rationality and balance doesn't mean shit.

If one ignores history, one is doomed to repeat it.  Like the French or Russian revolution?  And yes, there are reasons ... as outlined in Les Miserables.  But it is an assumption, that the Elite are actually in control, rather than they think they are in control, or the non-Elite think they are in control.  The clown car went off the cliff already, nobody is in control.  Conspiracy theory is that WW I was deliberate, that the Elite knew what they were doing, and things worked out exactly according to plan.  Like the Persian ambassador at Sparta said ... "This is madness".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Munch on January 20, 2018, 07:22:46 AM

The best option is to come to the realisation that the left-right political paradigm is nonsensical and was manufactured by our rulers, not because there ever was any notion among them that it was sensical, but rather because having your enemy divide themselves and fight amongst eachother is an effective strategy for dealing with your enemies.

Baruch

It is a joy to listen to ... proof that the English continue to master the language that they invented.

Perhaps England needs more invasion from English speaking Canada, and less from English speaking India, Arabia etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Baruch

Both Sargon and Mr Weston, are actual English speakers.  But Sargon's take is post-modern, Mr Weston is pre-modern.  Sargon's is anti-feminist, Mr Weston is anti-Marxist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 19, 2018, 07:16:36 AM
The interviewer was certainly trying her best to fit her words in his mouth.

And accurately.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 24, 2018, 07:31:07 AM
Character assassination?  Is that you, John Wilkes?

And you went from "accurately" to "character assasination in one Trumpian leap?  CONGRATULATIONS!  You fulfill my worst fears about theists.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 01:46:38 PM
  You fulfill my worst fears about theists.
Baruch's not really a theist, he just plays one on the internet.

A theist believes in a theistic God, and he doesn't - he believes he is a god.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 24, 2018, 01:49:54 PM
Baruch's not really a theist, he just plays one on the internet.

A theist believes in a theistic God, and he doesn't - he believes he is a god.

I disagree.  He really has some theistic belief.  It just isn't one of the popular beliefs we are familiar with.  He has his own theism, and part of seems to be a penitence to inflict it on us here. 

He maybe is the sole member of his own "Our Lady of Perpetual Misery" church.