17 Ridiculous Office Rules That Companies Actually Enforce

Started by _Xenu_, June 15, 2013, 11:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

This kind of stuff was the very reason I Started working in the construction industry---only one rule: you didn't even touch another persons tools, and if you took them you would be hung out to dry if caught. If two men had a beef they fought it out, in a fair fight, in the parking lot after work until one got hurt, and then shook hands and became friends that respected each other win or lose.

We were proud to show how brave we were and not gang up on anyone, which was considered to be cowardly. In my later years when I went back in the trades I couldn't believe how you had to be a robot and PC with bosses that didn't know shit but had a college degree. We always respected our bosses because they worked their way up the ranks and knew what they were doing and didn't expect anything out of you that they hadn't done. This was OK until you had to work 300 feet in the air with no safety equipment following your boss on a 8 inch girder.  :shock:  8-[ Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Poison Tree

My father is/was an electrical engineer. One company that he worked for was really having financial problems (which he astutely realized when, upon arriving for his first day of work, he was told he'd already been promoted to manager) and brought in outside accountants to figure out the source of the problem. First thing the bean-counters decided was that anytime supplies were used you had to fill-out a form in triplicate--a copy for you, one for your manager and one for the accountants. Building a circuit board and need a component that that cost less then a cent? Fill out your paper work first.

The company also had a rule prohibiting the use of whiteout; he eventually took a bottle of whiteout to every company handbook he could find and fixed that problem.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

Jesus Christ, reason #9861 I wouldn't want to work in the corporate world...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SilentFutility

Some of those are not the company's fault eg. Unions banning the moving of any furniture.
Also, I'm sure these are really isolated cases, where one boss just happens to be an idiot.

For the summer I currently work at a very, very large multinational company that is American in origin and none of these silly rules exist.

Hydra009

One big one I had to put up with was no hats.  You have to buy a company hat if you want to wear a hat.

It's like Finkton over there.

WitchSabrina

crazy list............ crazy I'm tellin ya
 :shock:

no wonder people hate to go to work
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Farroc

On your resume:
How did you get fired from your last job?

I accidentally grew a beard and wore a hat to work. Although, me moving my desk two inches to the right might've had something to do with it.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Mermaid

Agh, that link isn't working for me! I suspect it's our shitty internet. I wanna see!  :(
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sal1981

Where I work it's pretty relaxed, and our desks are usual looking. There are no regulations or anything, just don't be a douche, is all.

AllPurposeAtheist

Most of what I did was self employment.. I hated big corporations, still do. Meh..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SilentFutility

Why do so many people "hate big corporations"?
Why is a company automatically bad just because it is large?

There are good and bad businesses at all points on the size scale, and good and bad people within all businesses.

La Dolce Vita

Quote from: "Solitary"This kind of stuff was the very reason I Started working in the construction industry---only one rule: you didn't even touch another persons tools, and if you took them you would be hung out to dry if caught. If two men had a beef they fought it out, in a fair fight, in the parking lot after work until one got hurt, and then shook hands and became friends that respected each other win or lose.

Solutions through violence and harming each other? I'm sorry, but that's quite disturbing. Can't understand why you would glorify it.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "SilentFutility"Why do so many people "hate big corporations"?
Why is a company automatically bad just because it is large?

There are good and bad businesses at all points on the size scale, and good and bad people within all businesses.
Because corporations have only one obligation: The bottom line. They will lie, cheat, steal, and manipulate to achieve this end, broader society be damned. Corporations are inherently psychopathic.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Plu

It's a general rule of human psychology. You can only really care about so many people. Once you have more than 200 people under you, they become little more than a number that can be squeezed so that money comes out. Once you have more than 200 people above you, the company is little more than a giant machine that deposits money on your bank account at the end of the month.

It's really hard to fix that, and only a rare few companies in a rare few industries can really fix it. In most companies, they don't even try.

In addition, most companies just have a basic job that needs to be done, and the only reason they're letting a person do it, is because they can't buy a robot to do it instead yet. You get all the appreciation of the machine that they can't replace you with though, because they know that if they dump you, they can get someone else.