Started by Unbeliever, January 17, 2018, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The poll results have gone down quite dramatically.  Now 38%

http://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx

Quote•38% say God created man in present form, lowest in 35 years
•Same percentage say humans evolved, but God guided the process
•Less-educated Americans more likely to believe in creationism

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

This is the first time since 1982 -- when Gallup began asking this question using this wording -- that belief in God's direct creation of man has not been the outright most-common response. Overall, roughly three-quarters of Americans believe God was involved in man's creation -- whether that be the creationist view based on the Bible or the view that God guided the evolutionary process, outlined by scientist Charles Darwin and others. Since 1982, agreement with the "secular" viewpoint, meaning humans evolved from lower life forms without any divine intervention, has doubled.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 18, 2018, 08:20:08 AM
I think that as long as we have the human nature that we currently have, we won't shed faith.

Therefore atheists are un-natural ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I had to laugh when Robertson thought 1800 was "the Middle Ages."

:rrotflmao:
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: fencerider on January 18, 2018, 02:06:39 AM
maybe he never believed the crap to start with. Maybe he was just using it to make money
I've suspected that for years. But then, I suspect that's the case with any televangelist or big-tent preacher.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 18, 2018, 01:22:18 PM

Look at him!  The man has lived for centuries, like Nosferatu.  He was middle aged, 200 years ago ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 18, 2018, 01:25:06 PM
I've suspected that for years. But then, I suspect that's the case with any televangelist or big-tent preacher.

Let Elmer Gantry crane your neck ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Just the movie I was thinking of - except it wasn't money that motivated Elmer, it was lust.
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 18, 2018, 01:22:18 PM
He never struck me as very bright, even before he became a doddering old man.  While it does not speak well for America, he has been able to resonate with a lot of Americans.  What he seems to lack in intelligence, he compensates for in ambition.  He even ran for president about 40 years ago.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 18, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
Just the movie I was thinking of - except it wasn't money that motivated Elmer, it was lust.

I can grab that ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 18, 2018, 01:45:42 PM
He never struck me as very bright, even before he became a doddering old man.  While it does not speak well for America, he has been able to resonate with a lot of Americans.  What he seems to lack in intelligence, he compensates for in ambition.  He even ran for president about 40 years ago.

It was the Republicans kissing up to the Evangelicals and to Robertson, that made it a "never again" deal for me, in 1986.  I was a stronger Democrat in 1988.  I don't support theocracy, even fake medicine wagon ones.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Pat Robertson debated Bob Dole during his run for president; The SNL version:
https://vidmoon.co/video/4wDHU1UI9xD

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 18, 2018, 12:46:42 PM
The poll results have gone down quite dramatically.  Now 38%

http://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx

Why does 38% sound a lot like the number of Republicans too?  Must just be a coincidence...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 18, 2018, 10:46:04 AM
The internet is probably the major driving force in rationality. Free information available to anyone with just a Google search. The problem is when people on social media get in their echo chambers, but they've always done that.
Twitter. Facebook.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!