Pat Robertson Realizes Creationism is a Joke

Started by Unbeliever, January 17, 2018, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I'd never have expected Robertson to say that creationism is nonsense, but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj6de1qTltc

It's about time someone in the evangelical community started waking up, and I hope he can have some influence over the other fundamentalist creationists.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Robertson is Pentecostal, so Southern Baptists won't believe anything he says, anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Pat Robertson, world's least expected pro-science empiricist.

I'm impressed.  I take back half of the bad things I've said about Pat.  Now if only he could apply his newfound empiricism to demonic possession and faith healing and other supposed miracles...

If he hadn't made a career out of faith, he might've been a hell of an advocate for rationality.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 17, 2018, 10:36:36 PM
Pat Robertson, world's least expected pro-science empiricist.

I'm impressed.  I take back half of the bad things I've said about Pat.  Now if only he could apply his newfound empiricism to demonic possession and faith healing and other supposed miracles...

If he hadn't made a career out of faith, he might've been a hell of an advocate for rationality.

If you discount his connection with "blood" diamonds.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

maybe he never believed the crap to start with. Maybe he was just using it to make money
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Munch

This crusty old p.o.s just wants everyone to adhere to only his belief system and no other
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

There was once a day when no one believed that trees had nymphs living in them that controlled tree growth.  There was once a day when people stopped believing that tides crashing on the shores caused volcanoes.  There once was a day when people stopped believing in multiple gods.  There once was a day when people stopped believing in any gods at all.

Oops, I'm slightly ahead of my time.  Carry on...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

I think that as long as we have the human nature that we currently have, we won't shed faith.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 18, 2018, 08:20:08 AM
I think that as long as we have the human nature that we currently have, we won't shed faith.

Do you mean (I hope) that in the future, we might?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 18, 2018, 08:20:08 AM
Not completely, but we're making progress in overall rationality. The only thing that could stop that trend is the Internet.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Pat Robertson speaking for evolution.  I might start doubting it then.  Actually, I don't know what to make of this.  I'm expecting him to retract it later in one of those "clarifications" often used by politicians.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 18, 2018, 10:05:42 AM
Not completely, but we're making progress in overall rationality. The only thing that could stop that trend is the Internet.

The internet is probably the major driving force in rationality. Free information available to anyone with just a Google search. The problem is when people on social media get in their echo chambers, but they've always done that.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 18, 2018, 10:21:23 AM
Pat Robertson speaking for evolution.  I might start doubting it then.  Actually, I don't know what to make of this.  I'm expecting him to retract it later in one of those "clarifications" often used by politicians.

I suspect Robertson has something more subtle in mind.  He realizes the 6004 date is a loser.  So something newer might work.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 11:26:55 AM
I suspect Robertson has something more subtle in mind.  He realizes the 6004 date is a loser.  So something newer might work.
It's been 20 years since I read a survey in a major newspaper that revealed something like 60% of Americans believed the Earth was less than 10,000 years old.  I was so flabbergasted that I mentioned it in another forum, and was surprised again by several replies noting that those were about the same figures they had been seeing over the years.  I wonder how much has changed in 20 years?  It's been so long that I can't certify the percentage was 60%, but it was unbelievably high.  It may have been higher than that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 18, 2018, 11:37:15 AM
It's been 20 years since I read a survey in a major newspaper that revealed something like 60% of Americans believed the Earth was less than 10,000 years old.  I was so flabbergasted that I mentioned it in another forum, and was surprised again by several replies noting that those were about the same figures they had been seeing over the years.  I wonder how much has changed in 20 years?  It's been so long that I can't certify the percentage was 60%, but it was unbelievably high.  It may have been higher than that.

Robertson mentioned that dinosaurs were 65 million years old and that the proof was evident in layers of rocks.

I wonder if he has suddenly had a crisis of factualism.