Conservatives Call a Two State California

Started by SGOS, January 17, 2018, 11:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Jason78 on January 26, 2018, 03:39:05 AM
They are going about this all wrong.

Rather than split up the state, why not split up the parties?   

Political officials could then be elected on issues, rather than on where they sit on the political spectrum.

Allegedly that is what the open primary top two was supposed to do.  Instead it cemented the parties in place.

What they need to do is split the existing parties, and randomly assign people from the existing parties into sub parties.  The Democrats can be split into the Democrats and Remocrats, while the Republicans can be split into the Depublicans and the Republicans.  Don't allow any elected officials to change their party affiliation for a period of not less than ten years in an effort to cement in the new parties.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
OR everybody could just act like adults.

I find no evidence for "adults".  Older children perhaps.  Maybe we should only poll people over 100 years old.  In the Bible you haven't reached wisdom until you have reached 110.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 26, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
OR everybody could just act like adults.
That's all they'd be doing though - just acting. But even that would be better than what they're doing now.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 26, 2018, 02:01:29 PM
That's all they'd be doing though - just acting. But even that would be better than what they're doing now.

And doctors are only practicing ;-)

With both Reagan and Trump, we have gotten people acting as President, because they were actors to begin with.  Different generation, one was movies, the other was reality TV.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on January 26, 2018, 03:39:05 AM
They are going about this all wrong.

Rather than split up the state, why not split up the parties?   

Political officials could then be elected on issues, rather than on where they sit on the political spectrum.

Don't I wish!  I want rational government of the city manager style, and balanced electoral districts that are as competitive as possible. 

Interestingly, many judges are moving toward demanding that state districts be rationaly arranged and logically compact.  My own state (MD) has a hideous district (3rd, I think).  That it benefits the Democrats I usually vote for does not make me like it. 

I had a thought last night of taking a map of MD and putting red dots on it for every 10,000 voters.  Then giving the map to high school students and saying "divide these dots equally".  I bet they could make fairer districts!

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

You aren't wealthy enough.  If you were wealthy enough, you would have a superiority complex, to cover your fear of The People.  In that case you wouldn't want anything to be fair ... because it isn't in your narrow interest.  Planation owners they say, never had a good sleep ... because of fear that they would wake up dead in the morning.  This is the problem with the corruption of this world, great power, great money, great fame ... or great beauty.  It is fleeting, and those who have it, don't want to see it go.  The Buddha had an answer for that, but the unenlightened won't listen or see (see Bible also).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:11:44 AM
You aren't wealthy enough.  If you were wealthy enough, you would have a superiority complex, to cover your fear of The People.  In that case you wouldn't want anything to be fair ... because it isn't in your narrow interest.  Planation owners they say, never had a good sleep ... because of fear that they would wake up dead in the morning.  This is the problem with the corruption of this world, great power, great money, great fame ... or great beauty.  It is fleeting, and those who have it, don't want to see it go.  The Buddha had an answer for that, but the unenlightened won't listen or see (see Bible also).

No, actually, I'm not sure what to do with my money.  I don't want to just give it away, it was hard to earn.  But there it is every time I look it up.  I don't think of it as something I exactly "earned".

Well, some of it came from wages I invested, and I did earn THAT!  But the jump from $200K to $1M doesn't feel right.  *I* didn't do anything to make that happen.

A question to everyone here...  What would you do with $1M.  And "Give it to me" isn't the right answer.  I'm curious.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 09:20:35 AM
No, actually, I'm not sure what to do with my money.  I don't want to just give it away, it was hard to earn.  But there it is every time I look it up.  I don't think of it as something I exactly "earned".

Well, some of it came from wages I invested, and I did earn THAT!  But the jump from $200K to $1M doesn't feel right.  *I* didn't do anything to make that happen.

A question to everyone here...  What would you do with $1M.  And "Give it to me" isn't the right answer.  I'm curious.

Well I am not so sure it is good to give it to relatives or friends.  You would corrupt them.  There are good charities ... Mayo Clinic for example.  Or you could endow a university chair in BS (uh, I meant PhD) ;-)  Take that back, I wouldn't give any university a dime.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:32:02 AM
Well I am not so sure it is good to give it to relatives or friends.  You would corrupt them.  There are good charities ... Mayo Clinic for example.  Or you could endow a university chair in BS (uh, I meant PhD) ;-)  Take that back, I wouldn't give any university a dime.

My siblings would kill me!  Oh wait, I'd be dead...  Hmmm

Maybe I could send microbes to Mars and get us start there...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:27:53 AM
My siblings would kill me!  Oh wait, I'd be dead...  Hmmm

Maybe I could send microbes to Mars and get us start there...

Sourdough bread on Mars?  Originally, Mars was a god who made war on vermin in the field, that destroyed crops.  That and other Italians who raided your farm.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:24:31 PM
Sourdough bread on Mars?  Originally, Mars was a god who made war on vermin in the field, that destroyed crops.  That and other Italians who raided your farm.

More disproof of ancient gods.  They killed the cats who killed the vermin, so how smart could they be? 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:26:47 PM
More disproof of ancient gods.  They killed the cats who killed the vermin, so how smart could they be?

Cats weren't domesticated in Europe, until after Cleopatra visited Rome?  But yes, ignorance was a bad deal, anytime before universal literacy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 09:20:35 AM

I'd consider giving it to those who are working to get clean water and solar power to the developing world.

Like maybe these folks:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/28/16690042/zero-mass-solar-panel-harvesting-clean-drinking-water-next-level
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2018, 03:38:32 PM
I'd consider giving it to those who are working to get clean water and solar power to the developing world.

Doing that, but maybe could do more.  Looking into health issues too.  Thanks for taking my question seriously.