Conservatives Call a Two State California

Started by SGOS, January 17, 2018, 11:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

I much preferred the Six Californias solution.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 19, 2018, 12:46:14 AM
I much preferred the Six Californias solution.

Every county is its own city-state, must speak Greek, be democratic (for adult males only) ... because we are not Sparta.  And gayness is encouraged, since it helps with artistic creativity.  Just ask Leonardo and Michelangelo.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Is "Californication" taken yet? That would be an awesome name for the Liberal half.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 19, 2018, 07:38:45 AM
Every county is its own city-state, must speak Greek, be democratic (for adult males only) ... because we are not Sparta.  And gayness is encouraged, since it helps with artistic creativity.  Just ask Leonardo and Michelangelo.
The Bible condemned homosexuality, but the Greeks and Romans didn't seem to make a big deal about it.  Homophobia seems to be a product of more modern culture.  This is just a perception.  I don't really know how all the ancients felt about it, but I don't recall reading that older societies called for the deaths of gays.  I suppose some did but why does homophobia seem to be so important later on?  I refuse to accept that this was some kind of progressive advancement.  Homophobia probably always existed to some extent, but it seems like it's promoted mostly by religion, something that I would consider an artifact left over from medieval times.  Religion does seem to be losing it's power to promote it.  The churches are not helping much, but many of the parishioners seem to be disregarding it, and some churches are following the trend.  We are still emerging from the dark ages, but some are being dragged out of it kicking and screaming.

Baruch

Pagan ancients didn't even talk about lesbianism ... procreation for male heirs was the point, and no such thing from lesbianism.  Sex between men was talked about.  Sex between consenting adults was OK, but gauche ... like we consider cougars and dirty old men to be gauche.  That is part of what got Socrates in trouble.  I think he was in fact, a dirty old man.  Otherwise bisexual.

It was Semites in particular, who being desert people, are intuitively puritanical.  There is no way to get a bath, in a hot desert ... similarly post-sex cleanup.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

orcus

Yeah, lesbianism is very inconsequential medically and morally speaking. Male homosexuality spreads all kinds of disease, and if men are expected to be a bulwark against chaos, then it can also be considered inexcusably effeminate.

Baruch

Quote from: orcus on January 19, 2018, 12:51:12 PM
Yeah, lesbianism is very inconsequential medically and morally speaking. Male homosexuality spreads all kinds of disease, and if men are expected to be a bulwark against chaos, then it can also be considered inexcusably effeminate.

In traditional society, the problem isn't being effeminate, but failing to be masculine.  Patriarchy is what it is.  Being non-masculine (as a male) in a patriarchy means you are a Fifth Column against that society.  The primary shame in a male-male relationship, was being the bottom.  Being the top was still considered masculine, because it denoted "power".

Sex doesn't necessarily spread disease, it matters how you do it.  Even between two men.  Ordinary hetero-sex ... if promiscuous ... is a very bad idea.  Promiscuity is the primary public health threat.  Otherwise the problem is confined to two monogamous partners.  This was a slave problem in ancient society, because masters and mistresses had casual sex with their slaves of either sex all the time.

As a modern person, I don't devalue women as such, so "effeminacy" isn't a bad word, any more than being "dike" would be against a woman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 19, 2018, 07:54:18 AM
Is "Californication" taken yet? That would be an awesome name for the Liberal half.

Yeah, I heard that decades ago.  But independent discovery is legit too.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 19, 2018, 07:54:18 AM
I like Supercalifornialisticexpialidocious - it has a nice ring to it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 24, 2018, 01:38:01 PM
I like Supercalifornialisticexpialidocious - it has a nice ring to it.

My Mom once said that backwards to some yelly screaming 6 year old in a grocery store (who was repeatedly doing it forward).  It shut him down cold!  Never underestimate a Mom!

Unbeliever

Well, I remember in the song it was said backwards, so it's not that hard - if you can remember the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 24, 2018, 02:07:57 PM
Well, I remember in the song it was said backwards, so it's not that hard - if you can remember the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU

I never tried.

Jason78

They are going about this all wrong.

Rather than split up the state, why not split up the parties?   

Political officials could then be elected on issues, rather than on where they sit on the political spectrum.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Jason78 on January 26, 2018, 03:39:05 AM
They are going about this all wrong.

Rather than split up the state, why not split up the parties?   

Political officials could then be elected on issues, rather than on where they sit on the political spectrum.
That would be the end of the GOP.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan