News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Eric Sevareid

Started by SGOS, January 22, 2018, 10:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 01:11:18 PM
I seldom agreed with Buckley.  Erudite speech does not equate to thoughtful conclusions. 
Very true.  Knowledge, intelligence, and presentation, require thought, but to be thoughtful requires reason.  Reason was not Buckley's oratory device.  His device was arrogance.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2018, 06:42:09 AM
Very true.  Knowledge, intelligence, and presentation, require thought, but to be thoughtful requires reason.  Reason was not Buckley's oratory device.  His device was arrogance.

And eruditely put!  I recall the debate between Buckley and Gore Vidal.  Vidal was right, but lost the debate because Buckley was just so snarkily good at it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 08:06:46 AM
And eruditely put!  I recall the debate between Buckley and Gore Vidal.  Vidal was right, but lost the debate because Buckley was just so snarkily good at it.
One of his debate strategies was to occasionally laugh at his opponent like an indulgent parent of a 4 year old, and he would rebut with a wordy dialog accompanied by a smarmy smile that drew attention away from his reasoning.  His strategies were much more convincing than his logic, especially for those who don't pay close attention to what is actually being said. 

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 27, 2018, 08:36:43 AM
One of his debate strategies was to occasionally laugh at his opponent like an indulgent parent of a 4 year old, and he would rebut with a wordy dialog accompanied by a smarmy smile that drew attention away from his reasoning.  His strategies were much more convincing than his logic, especially for those who don't pay close attention to what is actually being said.

Nailed it!  In transcripts, he lost most arguments.  In rhetoric, he won. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 04:41:22 AM
What I got out of college was a little knowledge of a lot of subjects, and a lot of knowledge of a few.  It was deliberate.  I love knowing something of all things.  And I learned a lot about people who were very different from me.  My BS in Political Science and my minor in history was not the most important thing I learned.  I could easily have gone on to a PhD in either.  But I didn't see a value in that.

Duh!  We can hope for that.  And not a little knowledge of a few, and no knowledge of a lot.  And yes, ultimately people are the most interesting and annoying subject matter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:18:23 AM
Duh!  We can hope for that.  And not a little knowledge of a few, and no knowledge of a lot.  And yes, ultimately people are the most interesting and annoying subject matter.

Is THAT why you are here?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 08:06:46 AM

Vidal was way ahead of his time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 09:22:05 AM
Is THAT why you are here?

Mostly for psychology and anthropology.  Not psychotherapy (after the first two years of self-psychotherapy, I am cured like a the ham I am).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:34:09 AM
Mostly for psychology and anthropology.  Not psychotherapy (after the first two years of self-psychotherapy, I am cured like a the ham I am).

I always thought you were here for some sort of religious penance.  50,000 Hail Mary's, sleeping on a stone bed, and trying to convert atheists (a Sisyphean endeavor).

LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:25:29 AM
I always thought you were here for some sort of religious penance.  50,000 Hail Mary's, sleeping on a stone bed, and trying to convert atheists (a Sisyphean endeavor).

LOL!

See, I made you laugh.  We are on track (laugh track that is).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:22:57 PM
See, I made you laugh.  We are on track (laugh track that is).

I was laughing AT you...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:31:04 PM
I was laughing AT you...

But I don't mind.  I was taught "egoless" programming.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:36:30 PM
But I don't mind.  I was taught "egoless" programming.

That's nice...