News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

False nuclear alert in Hawaii

Started by Baruch, January 13, 2018, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

oil guillotine stop guillotine start guillotine execute guillotine test guillotine reset guillotine
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Darby O'Guillotine and the Expendable People.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

The thing that concerns me is if Hawaii were to have a real crisis and ignore it because of this false alarm. That would really suck.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 16, 2018, 02:23:22 PM
The thing that concerns me is if Hawaii were to have a real crisis and ignore it because of this false alarm. That would really suck.

A paradox.  What is the sound of one island vaporizing?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Cross-checking is needed. A single source is always to be suspected.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Tbf, I'm not sure what good the alarm even does against a nuclear warhead.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Yeah, good point. I bet there's very little in the way of civil defense, or bomb shelters, in Hawaii or anywhere else in the US.
God Not Found

omokuroi

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2018, 06:51:46 PM
Not far into the article, it describes the exact moment of human error.  But there was another error before that ... crappy software design.  You don't put "test missile alert" right next to "missile alert". 
Well, if you make it too easy to issue a missile alert, you end up with false alarms. If you make it too hard to issue a missile alert, you end up issuing the alert too late to help anyone.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 16, 2018, 04:42:49 PM
Yeah, good point. I bet there's very little in the way of civil defense, or bomb shelters, in Hawaii or anywhere else in the US.

This is why I don't tell you where my bomb shelter is ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Kim Jong must be having a boner over this.

Unbeliever

That's an image I could've done without having in my head...
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 17, 2018, 01:36:52 PM
It was just an expression.  But now that the image is lodged in my head, I deeply regret the comment.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 17, 2018, 09:31:24 AM
Kim Jong must be having a boner over this.

After killing his girl friend, how else?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

There was a false alarm in Japan, too.  Considering their history, this seems like a particularly upsetting event.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 17, 2018, 01:36:52 PM

I don't think it was a big deal.

:-)