Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

North Korea is led by a crazy person.  So is the US, and this worrisome.  North Korea might even attack us, kill a lot of people, and cause a lot of property damage.  This may not be a concern of to Kim Jong-un if he feels his own life is unimportant, but I'm pretty sure that with Trump as president or any other president of another party, a nuclear attack by North Korea would render the entire country a lifeless quarantine zone.  It would cease to exist as a nation.  The land would be given to South Korea in the hopes that someday it might even be habitable.  This of course does not assure that such a thing could never happen.  We are talking about crazy people running countries.  Anything can happen.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

It's a shame we have reached a point where this wasn't assumed to be a malfunction but instead a serious threat.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm sure the uninformed and hysterical assumed it was a real threat.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 14, 2018, 12:07:15 PM
I'm sure the uninformed and hysterical assumed it was a real threat.
Really? What about that makes one misinformed?

The story breaks my heart.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on January 14, 2018, 11:51:49 AM
It's a shame we have reached a point where this wasn't assumed to be a malfunction but instead a serious threat.

If you grew up in the Cold War, you would never assume it is a malfunction.  An exercise is preceded with "Exercise, Exercise, Exercise".  This wasn't.  I see it as a human interest story, about what human beings do when confronted with the unexpected.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on January 14, 2018, 02:12:04 PM
If you grew up in the Cold War, you would never assume it is a malfunction.  An exercise is preceded with "Exercise, Exercise, Exercise".  This wasn't.  I see it as a human interest story, about what human beings do when confronted with the unexpected.

That's true. For me, the thought of nuclear annihilation has always been pretty low on things I feared... much more concerned about being shot at school or jumped by a bunch of racist idiots. I guess I just always kinda naively hoped that living in fear of the bomb was for the older generations and would stay that way.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Jamie Lee Curtis on Facebook.

"This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!"
8:24 PM - Jan 13, 2018

There you go. We have the culprit.
Thank you Jamie.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on January 15, 2018, 12:30:02 AM
Jamie Lee Curtis on Facebook.

"This Hawaii missle scare is on YOU Mr. Trump. The real FEAR that mothers & fathers & children felt is on YOU. It is on YOUR ARROGANCE. HUBRIS. NARCISSISM. RAGE. EGO. IMMATURITY and your UNSTABLE IDIOCY. Shame on your hate filled self. YOU DID THIS!"
8:24 PM - Jan 13, 2018

There you go. We have the culprit.
Thank you Jamie.

Whoever JLC is, Trump didn't invent human conflict or military confrontation.  And it would appear that it was a Hawaii state employee who erred.  Even Rep Tulsi Gabbard jumped on the band wagon, and I though she was smarter than that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Baruch wrote:
QuoteTrump didn't invent human conflict or military confrontation.
No excuse! It is his fault, and that's that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on January 15, 2018, 03:01:52 AM
Baruch wrote:No excuse! It is his fault, and that's that.

Yes, Obama, Hillary and even Bill are such well known pacifists ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2018, 03:05:35 AM
Yes, Obama, Hillary and even Bill are such well known pacifists ;-(
They are the salt of the earth.
(You know what too much salt does to you?) ;-)

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/01/14/hawaii-missile-alert-how-one-employee-pushed-the-wrong-button-and-caused-a-wave-of-panic/?utm_term=.e9d867f96dcc

Not far into the article, it describes the exact moment of human error.  But there was another error before that ... crappy software design.  You don't put "test missile alert" right next to "missile alert".  I accidentally shut down the company server (at a previous job) because a typo happened to correspond to a legitimate command I didn't want to execute.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.