Azam Ali, Iranian-American Singer, on Trump's "Shithole" Remark

Started by Shiranu, January 12, 2018, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 02:06:39 PM
The wood support beams makes sense.  And probably all the tapestries hanging on the walls to keep out the cold.  Thank you.

All the pending bills (and budgets) they never got around to voting on ... flammable!  Amazing the original hot air didn't burn it down on its own!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 02:19:17 PM
All the pending bills (and budgets) they never got around to voting on ... flammable!  Amazing the original hot air didn't burn it down on its own!

It still bothers me vaguely that a city made mostly of stone can burn.  Maybe they all hoarded Franklin's newspapers...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

QuoteTrump wants refugees that have skills, or want to work - not 30-year-olds with the intelligence of an american 4-year-old.

He's not saying, "ew, I don't want them because I'm an old xenophobic bastard." He's saying, "I don't want people who have 0 skills and 0 intent to be productive - especially when there's tons of people who are both those things competing to get in here." He's bemoaning the fact that you're letting in refugees who are so uneducated that they'd be considered clinically retarded, rather than would-be refugees who have a lot to contribute.

That is a lot of interpretation from, "Why should DACA be protecting people from Haiti, El Salvador, Africa... those shithole countries? What we need is more immigrants from countries like Norway." .

The bill that he made that remark about was protecting children of immigrants who work hard and have earned their place in the country; DREAMers. That is the bill that he refused to approve a bipartisan agreement proposal on because it protecting the "shithole" immigrant's children. So I'm sorry, but that interpretation just doesn't hold up.

This is added ontop of his recent plan to cut protection for the Haitians that moved here following the Earthquake that killed over 200,000 Haitians.

Haitian Americans have been a huge part of our culture for over a hundred years. This hatred of them is utterly unfounded and if it was anyone else, borderline racist. Since it is Trump who has already proven himself to be a racist... it's just racist.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 03:01:04 PM
It still bothers me vaguely that a city made mostly of stone can burn.  Maybe they all hoarded Franklin's newspapers...

Jefferson gave his personal library to the Congress, that helped fan the flames.  That and midnight trysts with Sally Hemings.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on January 18, 2018, 06:08:45 PM
That is a lot of interpretation from, "Why should DACA be protecting people from Haiti, El Salvador, Africa... those shithole countries? What we need is more immigrants from countries like Norway." .

(cut)

Haitian Americans have been a huge part of our culture for over a hundred years. This hatred of them is utterly unfounded and if it was anyone else, borderline racist. Since it is Trump who has already proven himself to be a racist... it's just racist.

I would like to see immigrants "from everywhere".  And I don't mean "not from some places".

Have you ever heard the term "reconquista"?  I don't want that either.  I want a balanced diversity.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
I would like to see immigrants "from everywhere".  And I don't mean "not from some places".

Have you ever heard the term "reconquista"?  I don't want that either.  I want a balanced diversity.

Black bears, brown bears, polar bears, grizzly bears and Kodiak bears ... oh my!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I read Clan of the Cave Bear many years ago, it was a very good read.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 24, 2018, 08:16:58 PM
I read Clan of the Cave Bear many years ago, it was a very good read.

My daughter enjoyed that when she was 12.  I thought it a little feminist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, I did say it was many years ago - maybe 40 or so. It was a good story, and I didn't even think about feminism back in those days.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 24, 2018, 07:58:01 PM
Black bears, brown bears, polar bears, grizzly bears and Kodiak bears ... oh my!

You didn't answer my question. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 04:44:02 AM
You didn't answer my question. 

I am must less worried about local armed invasion in the US ... than I would in other countries.  Geography matters.  And Reconquista actually is Whites kicking out Colored Folk (in Iberia).  Very racist that was.  It is the Tea Party that advocates Reconquista.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:16:44 AM
I am must less worried about local armed invasion in the US ... than I would in other countries.  Geography matters.  And Reconquista actually is Whites kicking out Colored Folk (in Iberia).  Very racist that was.  It is the Tea Party that advocates Reconquista.

:Reconquista" is something that Vincente Fox once mentioned about Mexican immigration to the Southern US.  I understand why.  The US took Mexican lands.  But almost everyone has taken lands from others throughout history.  Could or should past events like that be undone?  Where would it stop?  We all came from Africa after all.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 09:26:54 AM
:Reconquista" is something that Vincente Fox once mentioned about Mexican immigration to the Southern US.  I understand why.  The US took Mexican lands.  But almost everyone has taken lands from others throughout history.  Could or should past events like that be undone?  Where would it stop?  We all came from Africa after all.

Yes, Mexicans would say that.  I love Mexicans, on both sides of our Southern Border.  But it is a death wish for them.  It is partly Indios vs Whetos.  Metizos and Negros think they are Indios, but not according to the Tarahamara or Yaqui.  And it is an incredibly ignorant use of language ;-(  Except that most Mexicans are Catholics.  So maybe they come here to expel Jews, Muslims and Protestants?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:37:24 AM
Yes, Mexicans would say that.  I love Mexicans, on both sides of our Southern Border.  But it is a death wish for them.  It is partly Indios vs Whetos.  Metizos and Negros think they are Indios, but not according to the Tarahamara or Yaqui.  And it is an incredibly ignorant use of language ;-(  Except that most Mexicans are Catholics.  So maybe they come here to expel Jews, Muslims and Protestants?

Too many flags over Mehico...  I would stay away from there personally.  Someday it may be like the Balkans,

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:21:03 AM
Too many flags over Mehico...  I would stay away from there personally.  Someday it may be like the Balkans,

Already is ... heard of the Monroe Doctrine?  And the US for 200 years is the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.