Author Topic: Why I Hate America  (Read 273 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: Why I Hate America
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:54 PM »
Thanks.

I don't want to be liked (or disliked), I just want to be heard. This is at least a little reassurance to that end.

You are very popular already, and becoming more so.  Proof you are doing something very wrong ;-)

I have a lot in common with the title character in Jude The Obscure, by Thomas Hardy.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:49:31 PM by Baruch »
שלום

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »
You're a stonemason?
God Not Found
Jesus on toast, Allah on an egg - all we need now is Moses in the orange juice and we have a crazy balanced breakfast.

Offline Shiranu (OP)

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
Just popping in to say I don't think Omokuroi sounds like Baruch.

No sarcasm; Baruch, I like you buddy. But Omokuroi has yet to say something I don't understand.

As long as I'm here might as well pass on my two cents, @Shiranu . I agree that it's not essentialy unpatriotic to dislike the current state of affairs your country is in. To long for change for your homeland. Indeed, it can be as patriotic as one can get. I love my country. But there are definitely things I wish would improve or be altered in some way.  To desire to have your country be the greatest it can be is fine. It's something good to feel. But indeed, we should look at the world as a whole. And in such a thing, we shouldn't look at countries as anything more than countries. Countries aren't to be leaders or rivals. Nor innovators or regulators. And our desire should be to have this prosperity and acceptance and propper education and affordable and effective healthcare, ... on a great and preferrably equal level for all of mankind. Despite it being something natural and inherent to our human nature, we shouldn't desire our in-group to be the best in the world. The best it can be, sure. But the best in the world indeed does inherently imply a ranking. The way the world works, 'the best it can be' will still involve ranking but not by definition because potentially every country's best could be on a potential same footing, especially if we were to look over such strange boundaries as countries.

I hate to say it, but I am not sure I believe that there is such a thing as global unity anymore, or that it is inherently the best system; I'm not even sure countries aren't too big to maximize potential. For example, the West/East of the United States suffer because they are held hostage by the Midwest/South, Cataluna suffers because it is held hostage by Madrid (even if it is the most prosperous region in Spain, it is held back by Madrid's regressive views), Progressive Scotland by Conservative London, secular Istanbul/Izmir by theocratic Ankara, Southern Italy by the North's racist policies, etc. etc. .

Perhaps the best option is to stick to one's own "tribe" (Southern, Catalunian, Scottish, etc.) and not let yourself be governed by foreign groups. Certainly work with any group who shares your ideals and band together for protection, but trying to force modernity or submitting to other "tribes" (for lack of a better word) seems to almost always backfire and instead ends up with the regressive party ultimately being the one in charge... be it New England/the West Coast or Kemal Turkey trying to bring progressive thought to the South or rural Turkey and instead having the national government taken over be theocrats and neo-cons, or places like Cataluna and Scotland being forced to suffer backwards ideology under the religious rule of Madrid and the moronic rule of London.

It's like corporations... they start off well, and I think many small corporations are great. But once they reach a certain size, all bets are off and they almost all turn into complete horror shows.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:08:22 PM by Shiranu »
"When glass breaks it is possible to put the pieces back together, but a heart once broken cannot be pieced together again. The suffering of man is immense, and only in love can relief be found from that suffering."  -
Allahi Allah, traditional Pakistani folk song

Offline Baruch

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
You're a stonemason?

If directed to me ... a grandson of a Shriner.  But I won't show you the secret clown handshake ;-)
שלום

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
I hate our systematic racism.
Specifically what?

I hate the mentally handicapped are legally allowed to be paid cents-per-hour to work for multi-billion dollar companies.
Would you rather them not have employment opportunities at all? That's the alternative. These companies effectively create positions specifically for the mentally handi-capped to fill - positions that aren't even warranted an existence for what they entail. They aren't necessarily positions, that is. They exist for no other reason than to give the mentally handi-capped a sense of purpose and a few extra dollars in their pockets. These companies don't want to pay them min-wage salaries because then people who are doing the actual work for the same salaries would be fucking pissed, and also because these positions don't generate any money - and therefore aren't warranted any pay; they're basically charity.

I hate that we spend nearly 25 cents of every dollar towards our military when we already spend more than the next 10 or so countries combined.
America also has a global presence bigger than any other military on earth. This costs money. And if this is really your position, please don't tell me you're also of the disposition that "we need to be doing something about ____'s third-world living conditions, man!" because the entity you want to diminish in order to save tax dollars (perhaps for social services for your own countrymen) is literally the entity that helps do that.

I hate that we have a president who defended Neo-Nazis who murdered a woman in Charlottesvile.
You don't.