News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Sociology 101

Started by Baruch, January 11, 2018, 02:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Human beings are needy, competitive and violent. Being part of a gang is better than being on your own. Being part of a bigger gang, is better than being part of a smaller gang. Thus ... society happens. However Gang 101 tells you that it is necessary to refocus competitiveness and violence outside of the gang. Too much competition and violence in the gang, is counter-productive. So .. to refocus competitiveness, we engage in international trade, and to refocus violence we engage in warfare. Of course some competition still happens inside the gang, and some violence too ... just not as much, and in a much more organized way. To limit and organize competition inside the gang, we have business. To limit and organize violence violence inside the gang, we have police. This is how it works in every society, not just Islam circa 650 CE.

One can be idealistic and ignore actual human behavior. Idealists tend to deny human nature, or have an imaginary view of it (we are all Gandhi).  Do gooders are mostly good, at using social problems as a means to put themselves into power.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2018, 02:20:29 PMto refocus violence we engage in warfare

Do you know what warfare consists of?   :headscratch:

Baruch

There is nothing wrong with killing people, if you kill the right people.  Violence is endemic among ape people (all skin colors).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nookynaree

I have read all of these. It gives me a very good knowledge. I just wanted to know about it.

Baruch

Quote from: Nookynaree on January 15, 2018, 02:59:16 AM
I have read all of these. It gives me a very good knowledge. I just wanted to know about it.

Please introduce yourself.

I hope my blunt realism isn't too offensive to you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

War and religion are central to civilization ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFvSNptJAcA

Religion like most sophisticated human behavior is a function of memory ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zgwz_m7sRs

In Islam, the very nature of worship, is refreshing the memory of the forgetful human.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 11, 2018, 02:20:29 PM
Human beings are needy, competitive and violent. Being part of a gang is better than being on your own. Being part of a bigger gang, is better than being part of a smaller gang. Thus ... society happens. However Gang 101 tells you that it is necessary to refocus competitiveness and violence outside of the gang. Too much competition and violence in the gang, is counter-productive. So .. to refocus competitiveness, we engage in international trade, and to refocus violence we engage in warfare. Of course some competition still happens inside the gang, and some violence too ... just not as much, and in a much more organized way. To limit and organize competition inside the gang, we have business. To limit and organize violence violence inside the gang, we have police. This is how it works in every society, not just Islam circa 650 CE.

One can be idealistic and ignore actual human behavior. Idealists tend to deny human nature, or have an imaginary view of it (we are all Gandhi).  Do gooders are mostly good, at using social problems as a means to put themselves into power.

Join a gang and leave.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 06:31:03 AM
Join a gang and leave.

I am in a gang, for awhile longer.  I am Federal contractor, we eat non-Feds for breakfast.  We eat Feds for supper.  A bit like Cthulhu.

Sorry, this isn't your tree-house.  Not mine either, we are guests.  Behave like one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 01:59:23 PM
I am in a gang, for awhile longer.  I am Federal contractor, we eat non-Feds for breakfast.  We eat Feds for supper.  A bit like Cthulhu.

Sorry, this isn't your tree-house.  Not mine either, we are guests.  Behave like one.

As a Federal COTR, I dealt with a lot of contractors.  They hated me.  I was way too factual and challenging about costs.  Most of their employees were knowledgeable hard-working people.  But I (almost) always found the shams...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 03:15:45 PM
As a Federal COTR, I dealt with a lot of contractors.  They hated me.  I was way too factual and challenging about costs.  Most of their employees were knowledgeable hard-working people.  But I (almost) always found the shams...

Yes, you probably wanted contractors to work for free, just like the GS folks, right?  But I don't begrudge another man's living.

What, government doesn't involve sham accounting?  What about the trillions missing from the Pentagon?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm going to have to take Sociology 101 soon.  Of all the politically correct garbage classes it looks the least offensive, plus I aced Psychology 101.  Maybe after I'm done I can decipher what is being said here.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 15, 2018, 10:00:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zgwz_m7sRs

In Islam, the very nature of worship, is refreshing the memory of the forgetful human.
I particularly liked her talk, although she started explaining religion, the thing that drew my interest and got me to watch the whole thing.  Oddly, this wasn't really what she wanted to talk about, and she gradually drifted into other aspects of cognitive behavior.  I was so interested in that, that I never realized she drifted off topic, until she was done, and I realized I still didn't get an explanation that was implied would be forthcoming. 

As one would expect, anthropology makes some very speculative conclusions from the minimal data available, so no one can really know what the things mean.  An example was her explanation of hand prints on cave walls being signs of ancients searching for portals to other dimensions.  Dots, lines, and spirals, and hand prints may not mean anything at all.  Children draw these things for no other reason than they are fun.  I can forgive her, as she is quick to admit she is reaching.  Sometimes it's the best you can do without any associated data.

But anthropology has always been fascinating.  I would have gone that route, but alas; I had more immediate needs to address like what am I going to do for a living?  It's odd that humans can know so much about our personal selves, but so little about our ancestors.  Who are we?  When did we become we?  These are questions that are not answered by a general understanding of evolution which is old hat to most everyone now. 

Anthropology is trying to pin down specific changes along the way from the common ancestor to us, and it has so little data to draw from.  I once read a comment from an anthropologist that if you took all found human fossils, including the occasional neck bone or finger joint that has been found, you could fit them in the bed of a pickup truck if you were willing to jumble them up a bit.  That's not a lot to work with.  However, man has left a lot of artifacts, and those can tell us much more than the isolated bones we find, and that's where the answers to "Who are we" will be found, I think.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 19, 2018, 12:25:38 AM
I'm going to have to take Sociology 101 soon.  Of all the politically correct garbage classes it looks the least offensive, plus I aced Psychology 101.  Maybe after I'm done I can decipher what is being said here.

What?  You don't understand Walter Cronkite?  Of course to understand SJW-speak, you need Psychology 101 ... the abnormal parts ;-)

SGOS - her talk of portals, given talks with recently primitive peoples, strikes an intuitive ... yes!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 09:27:09 PM
Yes, you probably wanted contractors to work for free, just like the GS folks, right?  But I don't begrudge another man's living.

What, government doesn't involve sham accounting?  What about the trillions missing from the Pentagon?

My part didn't.  I recall one contractor representative who invited me to go fishing on his boat.  I liked the guy, and we got along together well at meetings.  He gave a lot that my office wanted.  Outside of the office, he would likely have become a friend.  But I did some research.  His company owned his boat.  It was a bribe.

I reported the offer to the agency Inspector General, and he was removed as our Account Rep.  A few people who went fishing with him were temporarily removed from their jobs and given remedial ethics training. (meaning their careers were shot). 

Yeah, I'm an asshole that way.  Ethical to death...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 08:29:16 AM
My part didn't.  I recall one contractor representative who invited me to go fishing on his boat.  I liked the guy, and we got along together well at meetings.  He gave a lot that my office wanted.  Outside of the office, he would likely have become a friend.  But I did some research.  His company owned his boat.  It was a bribe.

I reported the offer to the agency Inspector General, and he was removed as our Account Rep.  A few people who went fishing with him were temporarily removed from their jobs and given remedial ethics training. (meaning their careers were shot). 

Yeah, I'm an asshole that way.  Ethical to death...

So you do have eyes in the back of your head ... good.  The fur covered them, right?

Yes, it was a bribe.  I can't offer someone coffee even unofficially.  Yes, friendship outside of work, between boss and bossed is not going to happen, or between contractor and contractee.  It is the way things are.  But don't tell the revolving door people in DC.  Now a days, had that been a guy connected with the Clintons, having gone, you might have slept with the fishes ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.