Republicans Determined to Lose Senate

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 03:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 11:11:39 AM
The crazier the Rebulica candidates, the better.  There HAS to be a bottom SOMEWHERE.  The sooner they find it, the better off us non-whackies will be.

Our Chinese overlords will eventually lose their patience.  They understand the current US government is a new Reality show, and that the American people are too stupid to get it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on January 10, 2018, 02:12:14 PM
Typically, midterm elections go against the party in the White House more than they do the party in control of the houses of Congress.  That's what made the 1998 midterms so stunning, forcing the Newtster to resign: he pitched the '98 midterms as a referendum on President Clinton and Witchfinder General Ken Starr's hatchet job... and lost seats.  It was the first time in 64 years that the non-presidential party failed to gain seats in a midterm, and the first in 176 years that the non-presidential party failed to pick up seats in the second midterm of a President's term.  The 2002 midterms were similarly anomalous -- pickups for the GOP in the wake of 9/11.  They didn't lose control of the House until the 2006 midterms that swept in 31 new Democrats... which were swept out again in Obama's first midterms.

My political science paper was comparing Goldwater's takeover of the Republican party and McGovern's of the Democrats.  And it was so polite by comparison today...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
My political science paper was comparing Goldwater's takeover of the Republican party and McGovern's of the Democrats.  And it was so polite by comparison today...

Yea, too bad they didn't kill their parties, so we could have started over in 1974!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 02:59:48 PM
Yeah, I seem to recall a day when Democrats and Republicans could go at it hammer and tongs all day... and after hours, be perfectly friendly and civil with each other.  Reagan and Tip O'Neill were like that -- wonderfully partisan all day, wonderfully civil after 'work'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I think that may be because neither of them really believed in their political tripe.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 03:23:43 PM
I think that may be because neither of them really believed in their political tripe.

It might also be that they knew they had differences but could be civil about them.  A lesson unlearned today...

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on January 10, 2018, 03:22:31 PM
Yeah, I seem to recall a day when Democrats and Republicans could go at it hammer and tongs all day... and after hours, be perfectly friendly and civil with each other.  Reagan and Tip O'Neill were like that -- wonderfully partisan all day, wonderfully civil after 'work'.

Just like crooked prosecuting and defense attorneys.  A bad thing.  I want them to kill each other, permanently ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 03:25:18 PM
It might also be that they knew they had differences but could be civil about them.  A lesson unlearned today...
O'Neill was really clear that he personally liked Reagan, no matter how much they disagreed on policy.  There was a sense on both sides of the partisan divide that the left and right both had the betterment of the country at heart, but disagreed on how best to get there.

I no longer believe that the Republicans give even the slightest shit about the improvement of the country, of course.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on January 10, 2018, 04:40:37 PM
O'Neill was really clear that he personally liked Reagan, no matter how much they disagreed on policy.  There was a sense on both sides of the partisan divide that the left and right both had the betterment of the country at heart, but disagreed on how best to get there.

I no longer believe that the Republicans give even the slightest shit about the improvement of the country, of course.

I won't disagree in the slightest there.  But the Republicans might be out of power after 2018 for a decade.  And that might mean the Democrats can un-screw-up the laws...  As they are often forced to do.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2018, 12:08:20 PM
It almost seems like the party in control of Congress automatically loses control in the election following the election of a president of their party.

The blatant abortion of Obamacare sunk the 2010 Congress.  It wouldn't have mattered if Romney had been in the White House.

Dems should just hand out $100 bills to each Dem voter at each polling station, as a thank you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 10, 2018, 01:41:16 PM
I've noticed that pattern too. Control always seems to flipflop from one side to the other. After a President serves 8 years (Kami help us if Trump is re-elected), the opposite party wins the next Presidency. The thought patterns of those in the center seems to be, "I don't like how things are. Maybe the other team will do better." So Republicans make a mess, people vote them out. Democrats don't fix that mess fast enough, they're elected out. And the cycle continues.

Only if you back the two-headed Bohemian Grove party.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.